2021 Investment Performance Thread

2.8% up to yesterday, then added another 1.95% for today, so total 4.75% from Jan1 to March 1.
I'm self managing at 80/0/20 split.

Retirement portfolio YTD 2.44% through Q1 vs benchmark VTHRX (Vanguard Target Date 2030) 2.49%.

Stock/bond allocation follows VTHRX (~66/34).

Good, I'm glad someone else dusted off this topic for the month so it shows up in the portal. I was too lazy to search for it. Anyway, here's my progress so far this year:

Jan 2021: -0.69% YTD
Feb 2021: +2.06% YTD
Mar 2021: +3.71% YTD

I had been up around 5.7% around the middle of February, and back up to around 5.2% in the middle of March, so there's definitely been some fluctuation. But, at least, no drama like last year.

Retirement portfolio up 8.3% YTD. Self managed, 60% equities & ETFs, 3% bonds including I-bonds, remainder crypto / cash including coverage for options & orders. Obviously this is a very volatile portfolio ��

Retirement portfolio is up 5.2% YTD with approximately 80/20 allocation.

With DJIA up, my portfolio is down in comparison, but still doing well. I'm up 5.11% as of April 1st, since the first day of 2021. Very please with the numbers with ~80/20 AA.

Jan 31: +0.35%
Feb 27: +7.37%
Mar 31: +10.24%

Numbers computed over all accounts using Moneychimp method. AA of 75% stock, 1.5% bond, the rest in cash.

What are up for the month of March: steel, aluminum, and agricultural producers, consumer staples, utilities, lumber, industrial companies, semiconductor equipment, etc...

What are down for the month: biotechs, chip makers, most miners, oil services and refineries, etc...

Last edited:
65/30/5 produced 2.7% return. Thinking seriously about reducing bonds and adding a another year or two to cash for more flexibility.

My forecast for YE is S&P500=4100 made in early January.

Because I am in my Blow That Dough phase, my portfolio value is meaningless. But I know if the s&p performs, so will my portfolio.

As of April 1st +5.38% YTD with a 85/15 AA. The best performer in the mix so far this year has been the TSP S Fund.

+3.46% (aa: 79/19/2) as of 03/31/2021

3.35% for me. My bond fund is the culprit for the underperforming market. One of my two international funds is also underperforming. They both did relatively well in 2020. Oh, well.

+2.39% on 52/48 overall

Taxable 6.2%
Roth 6.4%
TiRA (self managed) 0.3%
TiRA (FA) 3.2%

I have mostly equities in Taxable and Roth, and mostly bond funds in TiRA. Bond funds not doing well evidently.

Up 3.9%, all-in, money chimp style spend adjustment. I have a "windfall" column that probably should contain the $2,800 treasury check that came on 3/29, but I didn't include earlier instances either. My linear spend adjustment is pretty rough, and this is just for fun...not worth putting too fine of a point on it.

Jan 21 + ?? I didn't check whoops
Feb 21 +1.58% after a pull-back ;)
Mar 31 +2.45% wish some dry powder ready...

Only 1.07% YTD with capital preservation portfolio with an AA of 3% in equities, 54% in CDs and 28% in preferred stocks and 15% parked to the side as dry powder for equity purchases if/when the bubble pops.

However, spending was only .73% so portfolio is still growing.

Up 4.8% YTD with 60/30/10 portfolio. Minor small cap tilt has helped. Almost all total market and total international otherwise. I have a few odds and ends vanguard ETF's , VO, VPU, VAW, VNQ, VDC purchased back in 2006 that amount to a couple hundred K....not a significant portion of the portfolio though. No major changes.....just rebalance as needed.

I'm up 5.85 with a 74/26 portfolio (that includes a smallish spend YTD as part of the gain). My target AA is 70/30 although I feel comfortable rolling a little higher since spending is low with no travel. I use VTTHX, the VG TR2035 fund, as a benchmark.

As of 4/29 I am up 17% with a 79/0/21 AA in my self-managed portfolio. I will start having a small bond allocation soon which will increase with age over time. I turn 40 this year and will start executing on that part of my plan.

I still can't see investing in bonds. Inflation is going up all over...was just reading an article today that regular commodities food/paper goods were going to be increasing prices significantly as companies pass on costs to consumers.

Stocks seem to be the only game in town as prices go up on things.

Stay to May and go away?

If someone on January 1 guaranteed me 10% return for 2021 (no more, no less), I would have jumped at it and slept well at night.

Back
Top Bottom