2021 Investment Performance Thread

1.31 x 1.18 x 1.16 = 1.793

You made me look at my own records.

From 2019/1/1 till now, my stash grows 1.768X, using moneychimp formula. After WR, the balance still grow 1.719x. Wow!

My number is not too shabby, because I am never 100% invested. My stock AA ranged from 60% to 75-80% max. And I also have significant stinkin' international stocks, which trail the S&P.

While patting myself on the back, I also believe that this bull market simply cannot last forever. With a WR of less than 1%, I have room to blow dough, but have not found something worthwhile or the urge to do so.

PS. Records show that $10,000 invested in SPY on 2019/1/1 becomes $17,902 yesterday. With VT (Vanguard Total World Stock), it's $16,674.

Years from now, people who look back in history will not believe that the above market performance coincided with a world pandemic. There will be many scholarly articles written on this phenomenon.
That is very interesting and I will take a look at my growth for the fun of it also.

Another month end, another post to this thread.

Jan 31: +0.35%
Feb 27: +7.37%
Mar 31: +10.24%
Apr 30: 12.4%, stock AA 76%
May 28: 15.74%, stock AA 79%
Jun 30: 17.89%, stock AA 78%
Jul 31: 17.62%, stock AA 79%

Numbers are all in, computed using Moneychimp's method over the grand total of all investable and checking accounts.

I was flat this month, and in fact was down mid-month, but recovered to even just at the end of the month.

What was lousy this month: energy, biotech, emerging market, some semiconductor stocks

What went up this month: industrial metals, utilities, some semi stocks

In all, quite a few of my stocks went down significantly, it did not seem possible that I was even for the month. In fact, at mid-month I was down more than 5%. Of course, I did not like that.

Last edited:
Up 8.6% year to date. 50/50 asset allocation.

Up 13% YTD.

Up 8% ytd I couldn’t leave things well enough alone and made a bigger bet on an existing holding. Not enough to jeopardize the long term plan but jury’s still out whether it was a good idea or not.

June 2021 pie increased 0.28%.
2021 YTD Total is up 6.39%.

Performance of 50/50 portfolio is probably north of 6%.

Finished the 401(k) rollover process.
Now focused on spending more on gifts, memories and experiences.
:angel:
July 2021 - down a bit, cancelling out small gain of June. So back to 3 months ago or so. 2-year graph below showing monthly swings in total account balance.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 32
Here's my monthly check-in:

Jan 2021: -0.69% YTD
Feb 2021: +2.06% YTD
Mar 2021: +3.71% YTD
Apr 2021: +8.61% YTD
May 2021: +7.78% YTD
Jun 2021: +9.86% YTD
Jul 2021: +11.90% YTD

I did see a bit of a dip toward the middle of July. I had gotten up to around 11.5%, but then knocked down to around 8.2% a few days later. I popped the 12% barrier a few times toward the end of the month, and had hit 12.44% on Thursday, but then Friday's drop put me down to 11.90%

Up just under 10%.

I’m trying to be diversified. I’m not taking SOcSec yet, thinking that will act like an inflation adjusted Bond. Also, I go thru my AA, break out some things I like to think of as less correlated.

What do you think of below? My primary goal is inflation adjusted Capital Preservation.

Equity 57%, over 1/3 of that Foreign.
Bond 5%
Cash 26%
Commodity/gold 9%
REIT 3%.

I dislike having over 1/4 of my financial assets earning basically nothing, but am not in search of maximizing gains at this point.

Jan 21 + ?? I didn't check whoops
Feb 21 +1.58% after a pull-back
Mar 21 +8.26% Not a bad month but still trailing all 3 major indexes
Apr 21 Not sure what I was at in between jobs didn't have time to mark it down
May 21 +9.3% and hoping to get my 401k contributions going again with a new job and >120 months to ER ignition.
Jun 21 +15% 100% equities. Got an early 40th bday present beating all 3 indices, crossed another milestone. Big party, big presents, big fun! 119months to ER liftoff.
Jul 21 +16.8% Easy update. Still 100% equity portfolio. >118mo to ER.

All-in, money chimp spend adjustment, I'm looking at +10.3%. Not quite up to where I was on 6/15, but still pleased to be in the BTD mode.

Since last month, the REIT did well. The emerging markets didn't keep up, but the other foreign markets did.

I dislike having over 1/4 of my financial assets earning basically nothing, but am not in search of maximizing gains at this point.
The cash is going to be a drag. How many years of spend does it represent?

9.7% for the portfolio, my small aggressive Roth is up 46.84%; YTD.

+12.15% for 1/1 thru 7/31.

82% Stock / 6% Fixed/ 12% Cash allocation.

Per Fidelity the S&P 500 is +17.99% YTD, but I'm :).

We are 6+ years into retirement, 2nd SS starting in 4 months, and we haven't sold any holdings since 2014. I need to get some ideas from the BTD thread!

BrianB

The cash is going to be a drag. How many years of spend does it represent?

Interesting question. But yes, the cash has replaced bonds as my anchor, and is a drag on upside returns.

If I just look at budget and cash, it’s probably about 10 years. If I count dividends, future social security, it’s way more than that.

I suppose I could put all cash in dividend paying stocks and survive a 50% correction, with higher long term returns. But at age 67 I feel my shorter time horizon, and lack of need for more assets, let’s me sleep a little better at night with a higher margin of safety.

Back
Top Bottom