2021 Year-End Distributions

They are great as long as it works for the ACA. I thought I would bring the ACA horse along.

Dividends count towards ACA MAGI. They can be variable, which can add effort to tax planning relative to ACA predicted income and the various ACA FPL threshold figures.

Got this information from Vanguard recently:

November 15, 2021
Preliminary year-end Vanguard fund distribution estimates
These tables list Vanguard funds' preliminary estimates for year-end capital gains distribution declarations.

December 9, 2021
Final year-end Vanguard fund distribution estimates
These tables list Vanguard funds' final estimates for year-end dividend and capital gains distribution declarations.

Should I find it strange that all our VG funds show a capital loss in this very high gain year?

I've often wondered the same thing. I do remember back 10 or more years ago ("Great Recession") when Wellington had no CG to distribute and maybe even carried over some of the loss into the next year. Other than that I've been surprised at how large the CG distribution has been since then.

There is no guarantee that an ETF will not distribute capital gains. What generally allows them to avoid this is that they can choose to distribute underlying shares of stocks held in the ETF when a large investor makes a significant withdrawal. This allows them to distribute shares in which the ETF has the lowest basis and avoid realizing an actual capital gain if the underlying stock shares were sold and cash distributed as a result of the withdrawal. What also makes Vanguard different is its patented hybrid model and just bolted on an ETF to the existing mutual fund share classes. Where there is an ETF version and a mutual fund version of, for instance, the S&P 500 index, both of the funds are actually different share classes of the underlying investment pool as I understand the Vanguard system.

Last edited:
Why do you want dividends?
Gill

I and others already answered your question in posts further up this page. My answer was in post #44. Ask the same question, get the same answer.

MODERATOR NOTE: We discourage posting the same thing repeatedly, as it can be a form of trolling. That is why the Community Rules say this
Do not post the same discussion more than once or in many forums.
Please heed the rules.

MODERATOR NOTE: We discourage posting the same thing repeatedly, as it can be a form of trolling. That is why the Community Rules say this Please heed the rules.
Mea Culpa. Forgive me, for I have sinned. I honestly didn't realize I had posted the same comment on the same thread. I post rather actively on other forums and apparently became confused. I'll try to behave myself and obey the forum rules.
Gill

It happens...There's even a meme about "forgive me for I have sinned, by posting the same meme to the same page twice."

Mea Culpa. Forgive me, for I have sinned. I honestly didn't realize I had posted the same comment on the same thread. I post rather actively on other forums and apparently became confused. I'll try to behave myself and obey the forum rules.
Gill

Yowsa. My Target Retirement 2025 that makes up almost all of my 401k has a NAV just under 12% (and that's one of the "smaller" cap gains in the Target Retirement family).

Yowsa. My Target Retirement 2025 that makes up almost all of my 401k has a NAV just under 12% (and that's one of the "smaller" cap gains in the Target Retirement family).

At least it’s inside your 401K.

HACAX is killing me!

Of course it’s also due to crazy returns over many years. 369% gain without reinvesting distributions. :facepalm:

Last edited:
HACAX is killing me!

Of course it’s also due to crazy returns over many years. 369% gain without reinvesting distributions. :facepalm:

We donated a vehicle to charity this year which pushed us well into itemized deductions territory, so I decided to also donate some of our shares of HACAX to a DAF while it's near an all time high.

FWIW, I noticed that TRPrice updated their Prelim Year-End forecast over the weekend.

We donated a vehicle to charity this year which pushed us well into itemized deductions territory, so I decided to also donate some of our shares of HACAX to a DAF while it's near an all time high.
It's interesting comparing it to QQQ, since they trade off who wins (3 yr, 5 yr, 10 yr) and both allocate more to tech. HACAX avoided the full damage of the dot-com crash (-58%) compared to QQQ (-74%).

OK - I found the Vanguard capital gains distributions estimates for 2021. These just give total capital gains - not broken out by short and long.
https://personal.vanguard.com/pdf/FAPYEEST_112021_RIG_Final.pdf

They usually don't post the dividend estimates until way later sometime in Dec.

Thanks audreyh1. I don't see VFIAX or VTSAX on the list. Is it because these two funds are not distributing LTCGs, which is because they are index funds (low turnover)?

Thanks audreyh1. I don't see VFIAX or VTSAX on the list. Is it because these two funds are not distributing LTCGs, which is because they are index funds (low turnover)?

I'm not @audreyh1, but I believe the answer is yes. Those two funds (which I also own) typically do not distribute capital gains.

Both funds will probably make a quarterly dividend distribution around the last week of this month.

I had a money market fund distribute a short term cap gain yesterday. Weird, huh?

Back
Top Bottom