2022 Investment Performance Thread

I'll know when the January statement comes in.

I'm not sure "performance" is the right term for it!
Edit: to stay on thread, though, I'm down 4.07% YTD with a 55-26-19 allocation. This puzzles me since two weeks ago I scraped half of last year's gains in S&P and large growth in our portfolios (I was feeling large growth/tech was very pricey and my value allocation was getting pretty wimpy) and used 60% of the sale to buy large/small value (and some international value), so my stock allocation somehow went up from a bit over 53 to 55% despite the haircut. If the S&P drops another 5% I'll buy putting another 5-10% of the sale to work and start eyeing some of the cash allocation in case we see a Bar.

Last edited:
There would be fewer posts, but viewership would go way up. :)

I'll never forget I was signed in the day that COVID crashed the markets hard, I think we had like a -7% or 8% day in the S/P500 and I also believe that correlated with having the highest viewership ever within the forum.

Fear should breed curiosity. It makes sense as many that care would attempt to resolve ignorance with answers and well, less fear. I am down more than I care to admit, but will post as soon as the dust settles on Monday.

I'll never forget I was signed in the day that COVID crashed the markets hard, I think we had like a -7% or 8% day in the S/P500 and I also believe that correlated with having the highest viewership ever within the forum.

Fear should breed curiosity...

You must be talking about March 12, 2020. On that day, the S&P closed at 2481, down -9.5% in a single day from the previous close at 2741.

But if we count from the previous high of 3386 on Feb 19, 2020, then the 2481 is a loss of 26.7%. And the S&P did not reach bottom until March 23 at 2237. That's a loss of 34% from the top. My portfolio loss was 25.5%.

The above loss was actually not as bad as I feared. We are talking about a world-wide pandemic which Buffett said was unprecedented compared to other crises that he experienced in his life.

What I found remarkable was that the S&P was climbing and setting new high even as bad news about the virus was breaking out in Italy and Iran. Investors were shrugging and said "Who's afraid of the big bad virus?"

Similarly, in the current market rout, initially they said they did not fear the big bad Fed. Then, suddenly they say "OMG, Powell really meant it. Sell, sell, sell..." All because the Fed is going to raise the Fed fund rate from a ridiculous low level to something more reasonable.

And people say that the market is efficient.

Last edited:
ok fine, me first. The damage wasn't THAT bad. So we had a down month for once, it was inevitable.

Jan: -8.62% as interest rates are on the move, FOMC rate hike talk, Ukrainian invasion fears, and Omicron Virus continues to run rampant.

You must be talking about March 12, 2020. On that day, the S&P closed at 2481, down -9.5% in a single day from the previous close at 2741.

But if we count from the previous high of 3386 on Feb 19, 2020, then the 2481 is a loss of 26.7%. And the S&P did not reach bottom until March 23 at 2237. That's a loss of 34% from the top. My portfolio loss was 25.5%.

The above loss was actually not as bad as I feared. We are talking about a world-wide pandemic which Buffett said was unprecedented compared to other crises that he experienced in his life.

What I found remarkable was that the S&P was climbing and setting new high even as bad news about the virus was breaking out in Italy and Iran. Investors were shrugging and said "Who's afraid of the big bad virus?"

Similarly, in the current market rout, initially they said they did not fear the big bad Fed. Then, suddenly they say "OMG, Powell really meant it. Sell, sell, sell..." All because the Fed is going to raise the Fed fund rate from a ridiculous low level to something more reasonable.

And people say that the market is efficient.

Yeah that was the day! I also felt it wasn't as bad as it maybe should have been. I remember hearing some number like 1 TRILLION was printed. Clearly a little interest hike here and there "shouldn't" move the market that much...but fear, now that is one heckuva market mover. I can't imagine managing my money in such a state of fear and anxiety that I make some crazy drastic move to yank it out. I never slept very well with a pile of cash sitting under my mattress...too lumpy and made my back ache so I just keep it in the markets through all the hysteria. :rolleyes:

YTD: -4.18%, vs. -5.2% for the S&P.

Current stock AA: 78%

Two weeks ago, on Friday 1/14/2022, I was up +1.7% while the S&P was down -2.2%.

Then, the bottom suddenly fell out of the semiconductor industry, which I have an overweight on. Energy sector has been doing well, and I own shares of several names such as HAL, SLB, OXY, etc..., but not enough to cancel out the downdraft of the semi names such as TER, LRCX, ASML, etc...

And I wrote a lot of OTM puts that got assigned, and I had to buy mucho shares which lost me some more money.

Oh well. Looking forward to better days ahead, allowing me to go back to what I enjoy most: selling OTM covered calls.

Last edited:
^ that isn't too bad NW. I won't know till tomorrow but with a quick guess/look I'm down a Lamborghini or two.

Not good!

I'll know in a week or so when the paper comes in.

The price of a Lambo is from $200K (Huracan) to $500K (Aventador)

Yes, I am down one Lambo too.

Like my wife says, it's only money! LOL She is a good saver and a frugal person, but we know there is a lot more to life than money.

NW, I think I'll be down about that 9% plus.

Last edited:
Down 9% while the S&P is only down -5.2%?

What stocks did you hold? Did you put it all on one of these stocks?

Tesla: -11.4% YTD (after being up 10.7% today!)
Amazon: -10.3% YTD
Netflix: -29.1% YTD
Nvidia: -16.8% YTD

Heck, even some supposedly benign names got hit hard.

Home Depot: -11.6% YTD
Pfizer: -10.8% YTD
Ely Lilly: -11.2% YTD

Last edited:
I feel much better about being down only a bit over 5%. That’s with a 75/20/5 AA.

Down 9% while the S&P is only down -5.2%?

What stocks did you hold? Did you put it all on one of these stocks?

Tesla: -11.4% YTD (after being up 10.7% today!)
Amazon: -10.3% YTD
Netflix: -29.1% YTD
Nvidia: -16.8% YTD

Heck, even some supposedly benign names got hit hard.

Home Depot: -11.6% YTD
Pfizer: -10.8% YTD
Ely Lilly: -11.2% YTD
I will see in the morning. I could be way off with my guess of 9%. Lol I have investments in three different Financial Groups. I could see what one had done tonight and made an assumption from that one account.

I will see in the morning. I could be way off with my guess of 9%. Lol I have investments in three different Financial Groups. I could see what one had done tonight and made an assumption from that one account.

I hope your other 2 accounts are better.

But then, all kinds of weird things happened in this market. Other than energy stocks going up and speculative IPOs going down which can be expected and explained, all other stocks move in a random fashion to me.

And that's why I sold puts on stocks that I thought did not deserve the punishment, and ended up having to buy them at strike prices a lot higher than the eventual market prices. Ouch!

But overall, I am glad that I am not doing too bad against the S&P. And I surely hope these newly acquired shares will make me money in the future.

Last edited:
Overall we are down 4.44% with an AA of 64/8/27 The last two trading days of the month really helped out.

To break it down further we have three accounts with Schwab. Listed below in order of least funded acct to the most:

Schwab Intelligent Portfolio -2.14% 37/49/14
IRA -9.5% 96/4/0
Brokerage -3.3% 60/2/38

Our IRA money we won't need for ten years, so, not to worried what happens there.

Overall -1.34% for January, across individual stock portfolio and Vanguard and Schwab funds, ETFs. A little more than a Hyundai hatchback (which is the car I own, as it turns out).

-BB

That time of the month again, and I'm seeing a bit of red.
1/31/2022: -5.07% YTD.

I was actually up slightly at the beginning of the year, +0.51% on 1/3. But, that didn't last. By 1/27 I was down 9.11% The turnaround in just the past two trading days has been pretty phenomenal.

-4% with 54/46 AA YTD (1/31/2022).

No safe haven. Overly conservative portfolio -0.7%. Bond funds continuing to get clobbered despite a down stock month. Prior to about a year or so ago, this was not usually the case. I hate this planet.

Back
Top Bottom