Act now to get rich fast!

Nords

Moderator Emeritus
I was going to hijack the diversification thread but I decided to start a new one:

. . . Yrs to Go said:
I'm a corporate bond research analyst for a major Wall Street firm.  Consider my advantages:
Yeah, but "our" Edward Jones broker (a 20-something named "Josh") is opening an exclusive new branch in our neighborhood and he's accepting applications for a select few customers.  He made a personal unsolicited visit to our front lanai with an invitation to my spouse to buy a AAA-rated Hawaii municipal bond that's been "selling like hotcakes".  He'll even let us buy $10K of it if we act quickly (before it's all gone!). 

He was willing to make this exceedingly generous offer even though he knows nothing about our family, our goals, our portfolios, our risk tolerance, or our asset allocations, and even though we know nothing about his commissions or fees.  (Maybe he doesn't have any.  He seems like a nice guy.)  Once my spouse told him that we were retired, he was certain that this bond was meant for us.

I don't see how you can compete with Josh!

I'm eagerly anticipating his next visit.  I have a few questions to discuss with him... I might even wave a few fistfuls of things in his direction.

OP is not a broker.

I can't stand these arrogant little b*****ds who are twenty-something and all-knowing. They aren't even dry behind the ears and they know how to manage a person's life savings and, in many cases, people whose future depends on sage and error-free advice.

I have seen these kids come and go. Big splash-- and then nothing. See if that kid is still there 6 months or a year from now. ( I've seen the same thing with car salesmen--promise the moon and deliver zip). I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I know what I need and what I want--not some "johnny-come-lately jackass" armed with lots of corporate propaganda and little practical knowledge.

Professor

Professor said:
I can't stand these arrogant little b*****ds who are twenty-something and all-knowing.  They aren't even dry behind the ears and they know how to manage a person's life savings and, in many cases, people whose future depends on  sage and error-free advice. 

I have seen these kids come and go.  Big splash-- and then nothing. See if that kid is still there 6 months or a year from now.  ( I've seen the same thing with car salesmen--promise the moon and deliver zip). I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I know what I need and what I want--not some "johnny-come-lately jackass" armed with  lots of corporate propaganda and little practical knowledge.

Professor

Yeah, I was agruing with my 90 year old Father in 2000. I actually thought he was nuts and that he just didn't get it !!!!

I wish he was still alive so I could tell him that I was an arrogant know nothing who lost her shirt in the market. But, I'm sure he knew that and loved me anyway.

The price of tuition is high but worth every cent. I'd rather learn when I am young and can recoup the losses. I keep thinking about the older people who worshiped George Gilder and put their IRA money big time into his stock picks. They thought he was God and that they were rich. I think of them everytime someone at Walmart greets me.

It would burn even more to believe in some smart ass in their twenties. But, I also think George Gilder is a bit of a nut case and that hurts too.

-helen

Helen said:
The price of tuition is high but worth every cent.  I'd rather learn when I am young and can recoup the losses.  I keep thinking about the older people who worshiped George Gilder and put their IRA money big time into his stock picks.  They thought he was God and that they were rich.  I think of them everytime someone at Walmart greets me.

It would burn even more to believe in some smart ass in their twenties.  But, I also think George Gilder is a bit of a nut case and that hurts too.

-helen

It always puzzles me how some experienced person can fall for such blatant idiocy as that put out by Gilder. Back in 2000, even if he were 100% right, it would have hard to make money given the asking prices.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom