Advice for Sister in Law

OP, It will be great if you can help her. I'm wondering if she'll change her habits or read the suggested book. If she's gone all this time without saving, why would she start now.
Just curious, when you say she can type, do you mean on a typewriter and not a computer?

OP, It will be great if you can help her. I'm wondering if she'll change her habits or read the suggested book. If she's gone all this time without saving, why would she start now.
Just curious, when you say she can type, do you mean on a typewriter and not a computer?

Op here, she uses a computer, word processing. I think she is proficient in several different types of software but I don't know all the details. She also is a good transcriptionist (using the computer). One of her at home jobs is court transcription. We are encouraging her to try to get more of that type of work since it pays pretty good.

Looking at subsidized housing, in our area to qualify you have to have almost no assets and very low income. For now, anyway she does not qualify for subsidized housing but I will keep that in mind for the future.

If she could get hired by the county or state government as a full time court stenographer she'd be set - benefits and all. Though, I assume she's looked into that, being part of the legal community and all.

It would require, I believe, an Associate's degree in court transcription but it sounds like she already knows the ropes and wouldn't find that onerous. (then again, what do I know?)

One of her at home jobs is court transcription. We are encouraging her to try to get more of that type of work since it pays pretty good.

OP here. I doubt if she has most of those skills.
If that's accurate, I'm surprised that (until recently) she managed to hold down a legal secretarial job.

Surely she can do more than just type?! That's a sine qua non skill for virtually all secretarial positions, but it's only a starting point.

If she could get hired by the county or state government as a full time court stenographer she'd be set - benefits and all. Though, I assume she's looked into that, being part of the legal community and all.

It would require, I believe, an Associate's degree in court transcription but it sounds like she already knows the ropes and wouldn't find that onerous. (then again, what do I know?)

Last time I served on jury duty our county was using electronic transcription...

I think I might suggest that your SIL dig down and do a detailed budget so she can see exactly where she sits moneywise. Peek at the "cheaper" apartments, think if there is anyone she knows that might make a good roommate.

Depending on where she lives maybe uber or bus would be cheaper then a car. She could try it for awhile. The biggest danger I see is that she finds work that doesn't cover her expenses and either depletes her savings or takes early SS to cash flow her expenses. Perhaps mention the 3% rule or 25 times expenses so she can see that overspending means she can never quit working.

She can become an Uber or Lyft driver. The last time I took Uber I was surprised to see a 60+ woman just trying to make some extra dough . She was very nice and friendly.

I have been reading, but not commenting as there is little to do if the person does not want to change...

But, I have seen people mention subsidized housing.... but she still has a lease.... well, she can go and see if they will let her out of her lease.... if the place she is at is full they might want to switch to someone who will stay now instead of keeping her there....

Also, they might have a cheaper apt. they will allow her to move into...

IIRC her lease is up sometime in the next few months so now is a good time to research and get more affordable housing lined up.

OP here, we have suggested SIL look into getting out of her lease and getting a cheaper place. We have also suggested getting a roommate. She had roommate at one time and she didn't like it. One problem is she has a large dog and many less expensive places won't take a dog. Grrrr......

There are so many dog lovers! The right roommate (advertise/interview, rinse/repeat) will adore the dog and probably want to help care for it, in addition to helping defray the costs of dog-friendly apartment.

But seriously, OP...are you working on your strategy/plan if she rejects every sensible suggestion because "I don't like it/too hard," and turns to you for help? That is probably where you need to be directing your mental energy.

OP here, we have suggested SIL look into getting out of her lease and getting a cheaper place. We have also suggested getting a roommate. She had roommate at one time and she didn't like it. One problem is she has a large dog and many less expensive places won't take a dog. Grrrr......

OP here, good idea for us to work on a our own plan if SIL does not find a job and refuses to cut expenses, becomes homeless, etc. DH (SIL's brother and only living relative) and I need to have a talk. I know what my plan would be but I am not sure it is the same plan as DH"s. I would not let SIL starve but I am sure not making lease payments on an expensive new car when we ourselves drive a 2006 car with 200,000 miles and live in a house not nearly as nice as the apartment SIL is renting.....

There are so many dog lovers! The right roommate (advertise/interview, rinse/repeat) will adore the dog and probably want to help care for it, in addition to helping defray the costs of dog-friendly apartment.

But seriously, OP...are you working on your strategy/plan if she rejects every sensible suggestion because "I don't like it/too hard," and turns to you for help? That is probably where you need to be directing your mental energy.

+1 She knows she isn't in good financial shape, because she asked for your advice. But knowing and being willing to do the hard work is another thing. At some point you need to be willing to step back if she is just using you to vent or hoping you will feel sorry for her and help her out.

OP here, good idea for us to work on a our own plan if SIL does not find a job and refuses to cut expenses, becomes homeless, etc. DH (SIL's brother and only living relative) and I need to have a talk. I know what my plan would be but I am not sure it is the same plan as DH"s. I would not let SIL starve but I am sure not making lease payments on an expensive new car when we ourselves drive a 2006 car with 200,000 miles and live in a house not nearly as nice as the apartment SIL is renting.....

Remember everything you mention above is a willful choice by your SIL. We're not talking huge medical problem, house burning down, being unable to work.

Will she literally starve no, but if it comes to that it's because she blew thru a 100 grand and didn't get a job. Frankly I wouldn't give her anything once you open that door, it's really difficult to close it.

A prophet is without honor in his own town

OP here... if SIL does not find a job and refuses to cut expenses, becomes homeless, etc. DH (SIL's brother and only living relative) and I need to have a talk.

I sense a recurring theme of reluctance on the part of DSIL to act on the advice she solicited. (If I'm misinterpreting this, then ignore the rest of my post.)

OP has suggested several options, but since the options involve making hard decisions, SIL isn't exactly chomping at the bit to adopt them.

I wonder if the difficulty might NOT be that the options are unpleasant, but rather that the suggestor of said options is too close to the situation.

How many times in our families and our careers have we seen solid ideas shot down because they were proposed by someone within the group? And then later on, the exact same idea coming from a hired outside consultant is welcomed warmly. (Grrr!)

Perhaps, when OP's patience is exhausted, she should consider engaging some third party to deliver the message:

• The family attorney;
  • the branch manager from a local bank;
  • SIL's landlord;
  • a member of the clergy; or
  • your golfing buddy who happens to be a stockbroker.
Any of these folks might seem more "objective" and therefore more persuasive.

It's amazing what you can accomplish when you don't care who gets the credit. Good luck!

Sounds to me like she is dry begging right now.... hoping to get help from you when she hits the end... I have seen it before with one of my friends sisters.... she actually had jobs that paid well, but made very bad choices in men and spending.... was evicted many times, had cars repoed many times, but would never change her life... OH, also had two dogs that cost her a bunch of money and would not get rid of them...

Note to self.... if you are losing everything try not to spend the little you have on pets :facepalm:

The bottom line is that some people never really learn some of the basic life lessons-financial and otherwise. Nor are they really open to change. More likely looking for a quick solution.

There will be no magic bullet for a challenge like this. The writing is on the wall. There are only two questions.

What are the chances that person will truly change their life long habits? Is the situation really past the point of no return given age, skills, and predisposition?

My SIL and BIL are in challenging financial situation in retirement. My spouse would probably like me to help them financially. I see no point because it would not result in a change to their spending habits or lifestyle-which is the crux of the problem. It would only delay the inevitable.

Besides, I am a strong believer our resources flowing directly down to our children and our grandchildren.

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't read all the responses..

Is it possible for SIL to collect off her ex-husband's SS, instead of her own? Or is that an option at some point in the future?

OP here.....I would not let SIL starve but I am sure not making lease payments on an expensive new car when we ourselves drive a 2006 car with 200,000 miles and live in a house not nearly as nice as the apartment SIL is renting.....

Here's a somewhat out of the box possibility that would help SIL - for the short term - and help you and DH avoid any guilt feelings about not providing any additional help. Would you be interested in taking over the car lease? Depending on the terms, and of course your fit for that car, she'd be relieved of the payments and you'd get a replacement for your older car. Again, depending on the lease terms, you could then buy the car at end of the lease.
If this is viable, of course the agreement would come with the stipulation that you would not be giving any further financial assistance.

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't read all the responses..

Is it possible for SIL to collect off her ex-husband's SS, instead of her own? Or is that an option at some point in the future?

Ex is federal pension so no SS, but I wonder if the pension is subject to some type of spousal benefit which should have been settled with the divorce.

I sense a recurring theme of reluctance on the part of DSIL to act on the advice she solicited. (If I'm misinterpreting this, then ignore the rest of my post.)

OP has suggested several options, but since the options involve making hard decisions, SIL isn't exactly chomping at the bit to adopt them.

I wonder if the difficulty might NOT be that the options are unpleasant, but rather that the suggestor of said options is too close to the situation.

How many times in our families and our careers have we seen solid ideas shot down because they were proposed by someone within the group? And then later on, the exact same idea coming from a hired outside consultant is welcomed warmly. (Grrr!)

Perhaps, when OP's patience is exhausted, she should consider engaging some third party to deliver the message:

• The family attorney;
  • the branch manager from a local bank;
  • SIL's landlord;
  • a member of the clergy; or
  • your golfing buddy who happens to be a stockbroker.
Any of these folks might seem more "objective" and therefore more persuasive.

It's amazing what you can accomplish when you don't care who gets the credit. Good luck!

OP here. These are good ideas. There is a person in the family (widow of DH's brother) who is still friendly with SIL who might be able to objectively talk to SIL

Here's a somewhat out of the box possibility that would help SIL - for the short term - and help you and DH avoid any guilt feelings about not providing any additional help. Would you be interested in taking over the car lease? Depending on the terms, and of course your fir for that car, she'd be relieved of the payments and you'd get a replacement for your older car. Again, depending on the lease terms, you could then buy the car at end of the lease.
If this is viable, of course the agreement would come with the stipulation that you would not be giving any further financial assistance.

The car is a fancy BMW with a large lease payment. We are not interested. Our 2006 Lexus 330 is chugging along just fine (just put on new tires and brakes). Our mechanic says our Lexus should easily last to 300,000 miles and costs us very little.

Ex is federal pension so no SS, but I wonder if the pension is subject to some type of spousal benefit which should have been settled with the divorce.

OP here. I understand SIL gave up her rights to ex husband's pension as a part of the divorce settlement. SIL got all the proceeds from the sale of the house in exchange for giving up the pension. I don't know if that was a good deal or not , we weren't involved but SIL was represented by a lawyer.

OP here. I understand SIL gave up her rights to ex husband's pension as a part of the divorce settlement. SIL got all the proceeds from the sale of the house in exchange for giving up the pension. I don't know if that was a good deal or not , we weren't involved but SIL was represented by a lawyer.

This is the part that I've been struggling with while reading the posts. He is a federal employee with a pension. I can't imagine that the present value of that pension was in the same ballpark as the $100,000 of proceeds from the house. Something seems odd there...or that lawyer who represented her did her no favors.

OP here, I think SIL actually got around $200,000 from the sale of the house and only $100,000 is left after paying for "bills" and buying a bunch of stuff she really didn't need. I guess the divorce settlement is water under the bridge at this point. SIL thinks she got a good deal on the divorce settlement but who knows.

More than likely a horrible deal.... a gvmt pension is worth a LOT of money... and if she were married to him for a good number of years that adds up...

Back
Top Bottom