Advice for Sister in Law

Something is going wrong at the interviews. The post said that she got plenty of interviews but no offers. From her resume, they can take a guess at her age before they call her in, and also can see her skill set. If you have an attorney who is a friend, I would ask him to do a mock interview as a favor and figure this out.

A legal secretary does a lot more than type, but all of them that I know do type. In my office they make telephone calls on behalf of their attorney, they prepare pleadings as directed (which typically involves typing on a computer) discovery demands, discovery responses, interrogatories, bills of particulars, notices, motions with all exhibits; effectuate service and preparation of affidavits of service. They frequently have a basic knowledge of the relevant civil procedures, Court rules, judge's rules (or know how to find them ASAP), they are familiar with court costs, and - they can handle rushes when their attorney gives them a rush at the last possible moment. They can prepare simple letters for their attorney to sign, usually before the attorney knows he/she remembers to ask for it. Yes, some still type dictation. A good legal secretary is worth her weight in gold to her attorney - and, at least in my neck of the woods, are in demand.

And there are other jobs in law firms other than legal secretary, for example a receptionist, calendar clerks, file clerks, etc.

OP here, I agree something must be going wrong with the interviews. Good idea to do some sort of mock interviews. Maybe she is not coming across right. Or maybe she is asking for too much salary. Or maybe she the references she is giving do not come across good enough. Something is going wrong at the interview stage..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have sort of a standard speech I give to my SCORE clients about starting their business, which is basically what your SIL is looking at here.

Network. Network. Network.

Start by calling clients and friends with something like this: "I am looking to expand my business support services business. Right now I am doing transcriptions and ... (describe capabilities briefly but not too narrowly). I am looking for advice. Do you have any ideas for me?"

People love to give advice, so most of these calls will result in conversations and advice. Some of the advice will be good, some not so good, but everyone will probably be helpful and positive. The calls should not be limited to clients. Attorneys, insurance agents, former employers and colleagues, personal friends and acquaintances, etc. Anyone with even a tenuous connection should be contacted.

Near the end of the conversation, ask "Do you know of anyone who might also have some advice for me?" This will yield another set of names to call. And, when calling, Say something like "Susy Johnson gave me your name and said that you might be willing to give me some advice on a business I'm trying to develop." This is subtle, but the recipient of the call will feel some obligation because Susy made an implicit promise. It does work.

By working hard at this she will develop a network, many of whom are worthwhile staying in touch with: "Hi Fred, this is Rita Jones. A few weeks ago you gave me some good advice about xxx and I just wanted thank you again and give you an update." These follow-up calls keep her near top-of-mind and have the potential for the contact to remember her and refer to her when he/she hears of an opportunity.

To make this work, she needs at least a rudimentary CRM (Customer Relationship Managment) system. This can be as simple as some index cards with names, notes, and next-contact-time schedules. Better, it can be a simple spreadsheet that can be sorted by next-contact-time and other contact attributes.

It is important to always be asking for advice and never to be asking for a job or trying to sell.

My impression is that many churches have job networking groups. She should look for these and for other networking opportunities, although my secondhand impression is that these groups are often not very effective. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, however.

Long. Sorry.

Great advice!

Might I suggest a book for her that greatly helped me many years ago when I was looking for a job. It is called "Knock Em Dead" by Yates. Excellent advice on job hunting and interview skills. I have recommended it to many of my students looking for their first real job and even bought a few used copies through Abe Books on line to give away. There are also companion books on resume writting, etc. The copy I used was from 25 years ago but there have been a few new editions since then although I still like the older edition from around 1993.

Cheers!

All the legal secretaries I ever worked with were smart! It is a very demanding job and yes, they do a great deal more than type, even in “ the pool”. I recently helped a friend with her job hunt and suggested she have a “ prospective employer” call her references.
Bingo, one “ friend” was not doing her any favors. Before listing someone as a reference ask if you may use them and if they will be able to give you a good referral. Lukewarm does not count....
Best of luck to her.

All the legal secretaries I ever worked with were smart! It is a very demanding job and yes, they do a great deal more than type, even in “ the pool”. I recently helped a friend with her job hunt and suggested she have a “ prospective employer” call her references.
Bingo, one “ friend” was not doing her any favors. Before listing someone as a reference ask if you may use them and if they will be able to give you a good referral. Lukewarm does not count....
Best of luck to her.

OP here, Uhmmm...wonder if something like this is happening with SIL's references. Worth looking into.

The first line of your post says she was laid off, but you don't know the circumstances, this might be the problem.

I guess if she wanted you to know the circumstances she'd tell you, but you could ask if you are close enough to her. References are funny things. In reading my DH's recent medical reports his doctors all make a point of saying what a "pleasant gentlemen" he is. They always say his wife was present and kind and concerned. So another doctor reading this knows that you aren't an ass#$e. I guess if they don't say you are pleasant, the doctors knows to be on guard. It's what they don't say about you that raises the red flag.

A relative, who is a career Administrative/Executive Assistant (age 47) says "Typing? You're kidding. How is she on PowerPoint? Excel? Can she coordinate a conference? Draft memoranda with just an outline? Oversee an office's budget? Take and post minutes? Run a company newsletter? Update a web site?"

So yes, there are AA jobs out there, but they require more varied skills.

With unemployment around 2% here & under 4% in most of the country, jobs are plentiful. I just applied for a 2 week elections dept project position (no experience needed / 2× minimum wage) and they are screaming for help (40! openings)

SO GET A J-O-B!!

A relative, who is a career Administrative/Executive Assistant (age 47) says "Typing? You're kidding. How is she on PowerPoint? Excel? Can she coordinate a conference? Draft memoranda with just an outline? Oversee an office's budget? Take and post minutes? Run a company newsletter? Update a web site?"

So yes, there are AA jobs out there, but they require more varied skills.

OP here. I doubt if she has most of those skills.

With unemployment around 2% here & under 4% in most of the country, jobs are plentiful. I just applied for a 2 week elections dept project position (no experience needed / 2× minimum wage) and they are screaming for help (40! openings)

SO GET A J-O-B!!

Op here, that's what I am thinking, she just needs to get some sort of job ASAP. There seems to be jobs available (probably paying less than she is use to). She is just going to have to get a job in retail, waitressing or something while she tries to develop her home business.

I hope she is not seeing us as her retirement plan. We are comfortable but not rich by any means!

I don't know anything about the Postal Service's retirement, but if it is anything like Civil Service Retirement System, he would have paid into a pension fund in lieu of SS, and won't get SS. Mr. A. and I are in that situation.

I hope she can make her way. If she could acquire a few new office skills, it could pay off, and she could keep her small business as a side gig.

We asked about her ex husband's SS (they were married 20 years) but she says he does not get SS since he was a U.S. Post Office employee. Does anyone know if this is correct?

!

Find a financially comfortable or rich guy to move in with and/or marry. Fast.

Sort of jokingly, but if other than being poor if she is a catch then perhaps not... one never knows... for all I know she may be smoking hot. :D (ok, that last part was jokingly).

Last edited:
Sort of jokingly, but if other than being poor she is a catch then perhaps not... one never knows... for all I know she may be smoking hot. :D (ok, that last part was jokingly).

Dude - yer runnin' the risk of diggin' yerself in deep here. :D

Yup. :confused:

My aunt used to tell me "It is just as easy to love a rich girl as a poor girl".... and I suspect that the inverse is true too. :LOL:

Last edited:
I was a temp from late 1990 through the end of 1991. At that time, if you showed up to your assignment on time, breathing, you always had work. If you proved to be somewhat competent, you might be offered a full-time job, or at least, requested regularly.

At the time, my skill set was fast food, general office, and basic accounting. I had steady work about 90% of the time, I'd say. I turned down 3 permanent job offers, for reasons that aren't relevant here.

I was able to improve my skill set with the free computer training the temp agency offered, which led to more and better-paying assignments.

So, even if SIL isn't proficient with computer programs, she can learn, free of charge, via a temp agency. A local library might also offer computer classes.

I know little about jobs since it has been forever since I had one. But I have (modestly) helped a few older women in my area find very nice subsidized rental housing. Rarely does one want to live in all-age subsidized-housing, but once you get older (and the age of eligibility varies with the place), there are many buildings operated by social organizations that are very nice, the tenants are not dangerous, and the apartments may rent for as little as 1/3 of the open market price.

Ha
+1000 on this option My cousin who had health issues and no savings and only the very minimum in SS survived quite nicely for the last decade of her life in subsidized senior housing run by a church affiliated group (my cousin had no faith affiliation whatsoever so you do not have to be a member of the same denomination, but it was well run in large part because of the faith commitment of the management). rent can be very close to zero up to just a couple hundred dollars in such places for those with very little income

The down side is that she had to relocate to a very rural area of the state to find an available apartment Upside of that is that it was a brand new building

The down side is that she had to relocate to a very rural area of the state to find an available apartment Upside of that is that it was a brand new building

We are looking at subsidized housing for my MIL who relies entirely on SS. Many places do have wait lists.

It seems like most of the supermarkets and Walmarts around here have almost exclusively senior citizens working there. It may not be glamorous but it's a job, and possibly with benefits if full time.

OP here. I doubt if she has most of those skills.

She may be able to take continuing ed or other classes at a local community college to get some of these current skills.

Whoever suggested networking is also correct. Let people at her church (if applicable) know. Were there lawyers who used to work at her firm who left and went to other firms? Contact them and let them know she's looking.

Definitely look at other opportunities - pet sitting, house sitting, companion for some elderly friends who need help getting to appointments or shopping. There are some people who place classified ads in the newspaper for my condo community offering to help people organize for downsizing houses, or do other errands including checking on houses for snow birds.

We are looking at subsidized housing for my MIL who relies entirely on SS. Many places do have wait lists.

yes, all the subsidized housing options in the local metropolitan area were full with long waiting lists. That is why she had to go about 75 miles away to a rural county. But the place was a real gem. fellow residents were so nice i wanted to move there myself in a way (one pet policy would have been a show stopper for me even if I had qualified income and age wise)

Crazy suggestion: Apply for any job at the local school that has health benefits. Teachers aid, admin' office, bus dispatcher (very early mornings) even driving bus. Pay is not great but the health benefits are often the same is the Superintendent! It is like getting an extra $1000 tax free every month.

Not a crazy suggestion: Tell her she MUST pay herself FIRST EVERY paycheck: 10% into savings every time she gets a check. No questions about this...

Back
Top Bottom