Advice for Sister in Law

AARP has a program for seniors where they place them with agencies that need workers but can't afford them. AARP pays their salaries for 20 hours/week. When I worked for the state we would get them as clerical workers and not have to pay them so something else for her to explore.

AARP has a program for seniors where they place them with agencies that need workers but can't afford them. AARP pays their salaries for 20 hours/week. When I worked for the state we would get them as clerical workers and not have to pay them so something else for her to explore.

Teacher Terry, I have not heard of this program, how would I find out more information?

I would contact AARP. I have been retired for 6 years so this was happening back when I was working f.t.

In my hazy crystal ball, I see her not finding a job, blowing through the cash from the sale of her ex's house, losing her apartment, running up credit card debt (which I'm guessing she already has), going bankrupt, and being homeless. On the flip side, if she's willing to try to fix her problems, she could move to a more reasonable apartment, turn in the leased car, buy a used Toyota, get a job, and live within her means. It's so sad when folks don't plan for their futures, and live beyond their means. Unlike most in this forum.

I have seen some very intelligent people put their head in the sand until they are broke and in a crisis situation. Being a big planner and worrier I don't understand it but it is not that uncommon. I see it as a good sign that she applied for a retail job. You will have to get on a plan with DH for if the worst does happen so you guys know what you will do. I would take the dog only:))

I have heard that Starbucks offers insurance with a 20 hour/week job.

I have heard that Starbucks offers insurance with a 20 hour/week job.

I'll bet the insurance is comparable to the minimum ACA requirements. Granddaughter had similar when she worked for a retailer before she graduated college. Better than nothing, but came with a $6750 deductible. :(

There is plenty of laziness in the hiring process and a good dose of CYA. Requiring a college degree serves both purposes; it biases at least slightly for a higher quality person and it provides an excuse if the person doesn't work out.

This will only get worse as "the system" has decided to emphasize producing college graduates based on the historical fact that college graduates have higher paying jobs. The logical flaw, though, is that an increasing the number of college graduates does not cause an increasing number of higher-paying jobs. Hence, the "surplus" of unneeded graduates (especially the non-utilitarian degrees like History, English, Women's studies, etc) will increasingly displace non-degreed employees in jobs where a degree is completely unnecessary. A degree will be "required" simply because of laziness and CYA. "Will that be a Venti or a Grande, sir?"

There are plenty of hiring rules. As the head of the hiring committee, I have to go through every single applicant regardless of how qualified and provide an explanation for why we did or did not follow up. Real example, Ad says required PhD Chemical Engineering. One of our applicants had a bachelor's in Anthropology but had worked as an admin in an engineering office so they applied. It's on me to justify why I didn't consider the person. While that one is easy, as you go up the scale to gray areas it gets tougher. If I know I'll get 50 responses to an ad with minimum bachelor's degree, and will have a pool of candidates that's ample (in my prior example we would have been happy to hire any of the 4 interviewed, though 2 were so overqualified we figured they'd leave before long), why would I take that off and get an even bigger pool that's even harder to write why they weren't considered? Do I want 100 or 200 applicants without an easy justification for why not considered? I can't just say I like applicant A vs B, I have to justify with an objective reason. It is CYA, but it's reality. One of the things I disliked the most in my job was performing job searches. Lots of wasted time.

FWIW - I agree that having more college graduates, particularly with non marketable degrees, isn't necessarily a good thing. But schools are in the business of producing graduates. Not necessarily marketable ones. :(

Or, as a little jingle had it in the 70's when I was in college:

My daughter has her Master's
My son, his Ph. D.
But Daddy is the only one
Who has a J.O.B.!

FWIW - I agree that having more college graduates, particularly with non marketable degrees, isn't necessarily a good thing. But schools are in the business of producing graduates. Not necessarily marketable ones. :(

There are plenty of hiring rules. As the head of the hiring committee, I have to go through every single applicant regardless of how qualified and provide an explanation for why we did or did not follow up. Real example, Ad says required PhD Chemical Engineering. One of our applicants had a bachelor's in Anthropology but had worked as an admin in an engineering office so they applied. It's on me to justify why I didn't consider the person. While that one is easy, as you go up the scale to gray areas it gets tougher. If I know I'll get 50 responses to an ad with minimum bachelor's degree, and will have a pool of candidates that's ample (in my prior example we would have been happy to hire any of the 4 interviewed, though 2 were so overqualified we figured they'd leave before long), why would I take that off and get an even bigger pool that's even harder to write why they weren't considered? Do I want 100 or 200 applicants without an easy justification for why not considered? I can't just say I like applicant A vs B, I have to justify with an objective reason. It is CYA, but it's reality. One of the things I disliked the most in my job was performing job searches. Lots of wasted time. ...
Wow. That's insane. I am guessing that you work for an organization that consumes wealth rather than creating it: government, university, non-profit, etc. Profit-making businesses don't have the luxury of creating and maintaining that kind of massive inefficiency. Personally, I couldn't stand that kind of environment.

(A little bit OT: When one of my guys said that an applicant was overqualified I always asked "What did you want? Under-qualified?" I would then tell them that as the hiring manager it was their responsibility to challenge and grow this employee so that he/she did not leave and instead became a star. Usually things worked out just fine. I never pass on good goods offered to me at a bargain price.)

In my hazy crystal ball, I see her not finding a job, blowing through the cash from the sale of her ex's house, losing her apartment, running up credit card debt (which I'm guessing she already has), going bankrupt, and being homeless. On the flip side, if she's willing to try to fix her problems, she could move to a more reasonable apartment, turn in the leased car, buy a used Toyota, get a job, and live within her means. It's so sad when folks don't plan for their futures, and live beyond their means. Unlike most in this forum.

Hey: I just bought used Toyota Saturday. Found the paperwork for the previous owner's loan in the glove box: 16.9% for 72 months! I paid cash because I can only afford to pay cash. The non-hazy Crystal Ball says I still have it when I retire in 6 years. Sounds like I'm like everyone else here.

harllee: Good luck helping your SIL. Changing yourself is hard, changing someone else is beyond hard.

Just because her ex-husband was a postal employee does not mean that she should not pursue getting some retirement benefits from the USPS based on his work record.

An unemployed older worker without a degree has an extremely difficult time getting interviews, let alone a job offer, especially in today's market. It is simply a plain fact. Unless they have a contact that will get them past that 1st screening, their application is thrown away and are doomed. Many open jobs are not even posted by the hiring companies. Their HR people don't want to be bothered. They go thru head hunters (employment agencies, temp agencies, flesh peddlers, etc.) to fill a position. If the job description says "degree required" the agencies won't even pass their application on to the actual company doing the hiring regardless of any other matches to the job requirements. I was a very qualified, worker in an engineering workplace. Every time I needed to find work, due to company or office closings, it became more and more difficult to find employment until I was in my 50's when all responses eventually stopped. The only way I ever found meaningful employment in my field was thru people that knew me, my work ethics, my capabilities and the quality of my work. Once those people retire, those connections are lost. IMO, networking is not only very important, it is the only way to a position with any similar pay for non-degreed applicants. The worker, is simply doomed to lower-paying retail jobs. If that is what is needed, that is what your SIL should take ASAP. Find a more appropriate job later.

There are certainly many exceptions to this, I'm sure.

I have no advice to offer, only empathy for her situation.

Just because her ex-husband was a postal employee does not mean that she should not pursue getting some retirement benefits from the USPS based on his work record.

As I understand it SIL gave up her right to her Ex's postal retirement in exchange for the paid off house as part of the separation agreement. SS says the Ex does not qualify for SS because he has not paid anything into SS.

I see that you are located in the Research Triangle in NC. Does she live there also? There must be tons of jobs for admin. assistants at UNC, Duke, etc. Universities have fairly uniform HR rules on benefits, such as 403(b) participation/matching (nonprofit version of the 401k).

I took a quick look at the non-faculty/non professional jobs at UNC/Chapel Hill just now and found quite a few jobs she might be qualified for. For example, this one:

I saw on the UNC jobs page that there are temporary positions also available. These are an obvious potential door to a permanent job.

The large institutions are the way to go, in my mind. But you have to really work at it to find the jobs and apply for them. Hope this helps.

-BB

btw, those "jobs" yeh good luck. I know tons of people who have applied but not a one has ever gotten a call so not sure what criteria they use to select people but its not easy landing those jobs.

And for those unaware of NC, they only provide 12 weeks of unemployment, far less than most states I've lived in...so that is not very long to find a job especially in this state where jobs are scarce in anything other than high tech, medical fields. Basically the state is full of early retirees migrating down from HCOL areas, looking to pick up some side income with generally a college degree and basic good general skillsets, so thats what you are competing against, plus the flood of college graduates.

As for SIL, this area is tougher to get a job than others. College kids making $13/hr at a degreed job while you can make almost that much starting at Target. She may need to expand out and take a part-time job at one of those places PLUS whatever jobs she can get remote... until she has enough clients. If not what other options does she have? is there somewhere else she could re-locate to that has better job options? I just know in Wisconsin you can't walk down the street and not see tons of help wanted ads, jobs all starting at $13/hr and no one to fill them.. here in NC however, we are being flooded with new people everyday so jobs are not as easy to get.

The usual reason given for asking DOB is to ensure the applicant is of legal working age (child labor laws). Same as FB, etc. asks your DOB so they have legal proof you said you were over age 13.

I don't know why they don't just ask you to check a box saying "I am over age XX."

It's true that people will see how old we are when we walk in the door. And age discrimination - heck, pure age dislike - is, sadly, a thing. Nevertheless, if you possess needed skills and a track record, that is probably going to outweigh a few lines and gray hairs.

I randomly faux-applied for openings at Walgreen's and CVS in Winston-Salem. Both had a question "Are you over age 21?" but neither asked for date of birth.

btw, those "jobs" yeh good luck. I know tons of people who have applied but not a one has ever gotten a call so not sure what criteria they use to select people but its not easy landing those jobs.

And for those unaware of NC, they only provide 12 weeks of unemployment, far less than most states I've lived in...so that is not very long to find a job especially in this state where jobs are scarce in anything other than high tech, medical fields. Basically the state is full of early retirees migrating down from HCOL areas, looking to pick up some side income with generally a college degree and basic good general skillsets, so thats what you are competing against, plus the flood of college graduates.

As for SIL, this area is tougher to get a job than others. College kids making $13/hr at a degreed job while you can make almost that much starting at Target. She may need to expand out and take a part-time job at one of those places PLUS whatever jobs she can get remote... until she has enough clients. If not what other options does she have? is there somewhere else she could re-locate to that has better job options? I just know in Wisconsin you can't walk down the street and not see tons of help wanted ads, jobs all starting at $13/hr and no one to fill them.. here in NC however, we are being flooded with new people everyday so jobs are not as easy to get.

Karen, thanks for your comments regarding North Carolina. SIL got 2 months severance (had been on her last job 5 years) and 3 months N.C. unemployment and that's all. I agree that North Carolina is a hard place to find a job. I don't know if she would be willing to relocate. She has lived in North Carolina all her life so it would be hard for her. Overall North Carolina is a very good place to live. I guess that is why so many people are moving here.

I just wish she had planned better and saved for retirement so that now at 62 she could live on her retirement savings along with her side job and then add in her SS later.

The bottom line is that some people never really learn some of the basic life lessons-financial and otherwise. Nor are they really open to change. More likely looking for a quick solution.

There will be no magic bullet for a challenge like this. The writing is on the wall. There are only two questions.
My SIL and BIL are in challenging financial situation in retirement. My spouse would probably like me to help them financially. I see no point because it would not result in a change to their spending habits or lifestyle-which is the crux of the problem. It would only delay the inevitable.
I agree. I have a cousin who has blown through more that $1 M in inheritances. I personally would not give her a dime to support her spending.

A local major oil company here won't hire anyone without a 4 year college degree. That includes office staff, tech people, oil & gas accounting admin., etc. I can verify this because the VP of HR is my best friend.

I was an intern for IBM way back when they sold typewriters.... the head of sales for Houston had a Chemical Engineering degree... I asked him what that had to do with selling IBM office equipment..... he said having a degree was the minimum required to get a job, but his degree had nothing to do with what his job entailed....

In my hazy crystal ball, I see her not finding a job, blowing through the cash from the sale of her ex's house, losing her apartment, running up credit card debt (which I'm guessing she already has), going bankrupt, and being homeless.
While only time will tell, your prediction sounds all too plausible.

My purpose on this thread was to find help for SIL. I have found many helpful suggestions that I have passed on. I will just ignore the unhelpful suggestions (like the one suggesting SIL is lying).
Good for you. The comment that “online job application(s) asking for date of birth ... (has) been illegal for decades” was completely incorrect, and the suggestion that “someone is lying here” was irresponsible, unhelpful, and grossly unfair.

I don’t really know anything about your SIL. From what you’ve shared with us here, it sounds like she’s lived beyond her means for a long time and is currently in denial about her financial situation. However, I would bet money that she has in fact submitted many online job applications and is doing her best to find new employment.

It’s not easy being out of work, especially for those >40. Being >60, and with a limited education and obsolescent skill set, undoubtedly makes the job search much more difficult. Through a combination of hard work, common sense and luck, no one on this board is in that position... but that should not make us callous towards those who are.

Wow. That's insane. I am guessing that you work for an organization that consumes wealth rather than creating it: government, university, non-profit, etc. Profit-making businesses don't have the luxury of creating and maintaining that kind of massive inefficiency. Personally, I couldn't stand that kind of environment.

(A little bit OT: When one of my guys said that an applicant was overqualified I always asked "What did you want? Under-qualified?" I would then tell them that as the hiring manager it was their responsibility to challenge and grow this employee so that he/she did not leave and instead became a star. Usually things worked out just fine. I never pass on good goods offered to me at a bargain price.)

It's an odd situation. Yes, it's a University, but the group in question is funded by a grant from industry. On the one hand, we have to live within the U world rules, but we answer to our grant provider who is only funding 4-6 months ahead. If things aren't going well, they pull the plug.

One of the overqualified people I mentioned, we all agreed would depart at the first opportunity. Repeating this process in 6 months or a year wasn't our goal. Things she wanted to do, like grow, just don't fit this position. I know it sounds crazy, but as I said this is a unique island in a big place. Having said that, she was our first choice as a "person", and the head of our hiring committee took it upon himself to help her find a different position elsewhere in the U. I never heard if she was hired, but there were positions that were a better fit.

Every time I needed to find work, due to company or office closings, it became more and more difficult to find employment until I was in my 50's when all responses eventually stopped. The only way I ever found meaningful employment in my field was thru people that knew me, my work ethics, my capabilities and the quality of my work. Once those people retire, those connections are lost. IMO, networking is not only very important, it is the only way to a position with any similar pay for non-degreed applicants.

+1000
A little more info. Person A mentioned above was not hired despite being number one after interviews (see above). Person B, who was offered and hired, was referred by an existing employee. We would not have interviewed her based on resume. In fact, committee didn't agree, but my boss insisted we do as courtesy to current employee. She came in and ended up being our #2 choice (by a small margin).

Networking is everything. :)

Back
Top Bottom