Any 3%ers out there?

I resigned at age 47 and never went back to paid work. DW stayed at her employer until age 53.

-gauss

I was always a slacker and waited until 56. I guess that puts me in the 17%.

Retired in my 30s to care for a very ill parent...never returned to full-time work.

I would've preferred to stay until eligible for the pension but the "care" my mom was getting from others was killing them faster than the disease.

Has there been an earlier, similar poll for this forum?

If it was more than a few years ago maybe it's time for a new one.

I guess I’m a 1%-er. Retired at 47. Coming up on my 10 year retirement anniversary later this year [emoji3]

Retired at 53 and never looked back. That was 5 years ago. Now work means working on my golf swing.

Almost retired at 58.....alas, forcibly. Then landed an easy j*b to transition to my ultimate ER at 60 1/2. I was shooting for 60, so that f*'in' blip didn't affect me much in the long run. It was nicer to ER on my own terms.

I retired at 50. I figured the vast majority of this forum was going to be people who retired early, since it’s right there in the name. I’m actually confused why there’s so many here who didn’t retire until more normal retirement age.

I retired at 50. I figured the vast majority of this forum was going to be people who retired early, since it’s right there in the name. I’m actually confused why there’s so many here who didn’t retire until more normal retirement age.
Maybe they wanted to, but after being pointed toward FireCalc they learned that they didn't have quite enough? There could also be a discussion of what you consider early and what they do.

Retired last year at 51, wife will retire at end of this year.

So we are in the 3%

Left at 54, so did DW. However, we’re both earning a little part time income doing stuff we like. Neither of us are ever going back to an office, though.

I was 52 (but FI at 32). Redundant after the company was acquired. Thought it'd be easy to get another job considering my contacts, reputation in the industry and resume. Five years prior, I was getting about 6-8 calls a year with serious offers.

While my very public payout didn't help, everywhere I went I got the unspoken: "An old rich guy who just wants to take clients golfing every day and do little more" which wasn't true but enough to set me into RE...thankfully!! Ageism is alive.

Last edited:
Had to stop working at 38 because of health issues. Had some investments but leaned on my disability pension for my first years. Discovered this forum eventually. Then my investments really took off and now I really don't need my pension.

DH was 53 and I was 54 Nov 2020. Never going back despite dear mother nagging me occasionally to go back. She’s 80 retired at 50 ��*♀️

DH was 53 and I was 54 Nov 2020. Never going back despite dear mother nagging me occasionally to go back. She’s 80 retired at 50 ��*♀️

She should understand then.:D
My father was quite proud that I was able to find a Plan B after not being able to find work.

Out at 52. Plan was 55, but the market did better than my plan predictions AND work became less pleasant... Didn't see the point of staying around.

The only 3% I associate with is that is my ideal withdrawal rate.

Started collecting my pension at age 50 from my career job as an engineer. Moved over to a retirement career working for a CPA firm as a seasonal tax preparer (3 months per year) for 17 years. Now do tax returns as a VITA volunteer.

Back
Top Bottom