In reponse to a question, 5% fixed return in retirement

Time2

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I answered a question on Quora asking about a fixed 5% return and a 3% withdrawal.
In that scenario you will have almost half you money left after 30 years.
Then I pushed it and found if you invest at 5% and withdraw 4.12% your portfolio
will last just over 30 years.
I'm not recommending this, I just found it interesting and had never run FireCalc this way.
Graph shown below.

Attachments

• 5% return.jpg
    5% return.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 16
The problem is that the withdrawals are not inflation adjusted so not reallyealistic for a 30 year retirement. If inflation was at the Fed's 2% target then the buying power of those withdrawals would be 82%, 67% and 55% of the first year withdrawal's buying power after 10, 20 and 30 years, respectively.

But what the money will buy over time, will decrease.

The problem is that the withdrawals are not inflation adjusted so not reallyealistic for a 30 year retirement. If inflation was at the Fed's 2% target then the buying power of those withdrawals would be 82%, 67% and 55% of the first year withdrawal's buying power after 10, 20 and 30 years, respectively.

If your return is > withdrawal but balance declining, doesn't that mean an inflation factor was considered? Otherwise, if I earn $5 and spend $3 or $4 the balance would be increasing.

I was under the impression that the spending rate included an inflation adjustment. Does the inflation raise drop out when you use fixed portfolio?

Of course it is inflation adjusted - people haven't had their coffee yet :LOL:

If you make 5% and withdraw 3% (reinvesting 2%) your nominal balance goes UP every year. Only your inflation-adjusted balance goes down.

EDIT - unless OP stated the problem backwards?

Last edited:
This calculator is simple but takes into account taxes and inflation. Those are estimates but all calculators are estimates b/c portfolios, inflation, and taxes change over time. You choose numbers that fit your lifestyle. I know we can keep our income in the in 12% tax bracket and spend what we need. I also estimate inflation at 3%.

https://www.financialmentor.com/calculator/best-retirement-calculator

Of course it is inflation adjusted - people haven't had their coffee yet :LOL:

If you make 5% and withdraw 3% (reinvesting 2%) your nominal balance goes UP every year. Only your inflation-adjusted balance goes down.

EDIT - unless OP stated the problem backwards?

You are right. I missed it being run in FireCalc. I took it as a straight 5% overtime, but the principle balance declines in FireCalc which is where the inflation protection comes from.

Last edited:
What inflation rate were you using? If you just use the standard Firecalc set-up and select 000% stocks this scenario had a failure rate of 14 iterations. ie. Real-world as-it-happened inflation. The straight line (ok, slightly curvy) results indicate a flat rate of inflation, which at a 5% return would be pretty solid most of the time but perhaps a disaster at others. Just like depending on the stock market

What inflation rate were you using? If you just use the standard Firecalc set-up and select 000% stocks this scenario had a failure rate of 14 iterations. ie. Real-world as-it-happened inflation. The straight line (ok, slightly curvy) results indicate a flat rate of inflation, which at a 5% return would be pretty solid most of the time but perhaps a disaster at others. Just like depending on the stock market

I think the OP stated a fixed 5% without stating an allocation used.

Under the spending tab, it is set at 3%, I left it at 3%.

But 30 year Treasury rate is 4.63%, and you can't count on 3% inflation.

Looks to me like just an arithmetic exercise, with little real-world application.

edit/add: I ran FIRECalc with that 4.12% and historical 30 year treasuries, so we see how it does generally:

FIRECalc found that 67 cycles failed, for a success rate of 45.5%.

-ERD50

Last edited:
So you used the default which I believe is 75/25.

No.

Look at FIRECalc, the "Your Portfolio" tab. If the option for 5% consistent growth is chosen, it's irrelevant what the AA or investment is (what was the old line? Venezuelan Beaver Cheese futures?). It returns 5% regardless.

-ERD50

No.

Look at FIRECalc, the "Your Portfolio" tab. If the option for 5% consistent growth is chosen, it's irrelevant what the AA or investment is (what was the old line? Venezuelan Beaver Cheese futures?). It returns 5% regardless.

-ERD50

My comment was deleted, but you quoted it. I referenced FireCalc and saw what the OP did.

Back
Top Bottom