Any decent snowbird areas for $300,000 or under?

The good thing about hurricanes is that you know they are coming and can move out of the way or hunker down in a shelter designed for survival. I would opt for get out of the way. I have been through many typhoons and hurricanes (12+) since I was 7 yrs old so not worried about them. No real timely warning with earthquakes to give you time to avoid it and I wouldn't want a building falling in on top of me. I'm not too worried about massive forest fires either. Palm trees don't burn well and they are usually spaced too far apart. Have I seen too many disaster movies? :ermm:

Cheers!

Makes sense. If I were to move to Florida, I would look for good construction, and try to avoid a flood zone (not be too close to the water). I would not consider California due to income taxes - and the new homeowners being assessed much higher property taxes than longer term homeowners. We have been impacted by hurricanes on Long Island - "Super Storm Sandy" being the most impactful (although not lately and not as frequently) but are not in a flood zone so that helps. I can recall being in two, very mild quakes. (No damage: some movement and noise.)

I would have suggested Sarasota - FL if you had asked the question a few years ago. It has strong tennis community (IMG Academy, one of the best tennis academies in the world, is in Sarasota). Alas, the city is no longer affordable. I'm not even sure you'll be able to find any good condo in the city under 600K.

I honestly think you're better off renting and go to different places every few years. The cost of maintaining a home in FL as snowbird is pretty high: home + flood insurance (you pay higher if you're part time resident), real estate taxes that change every year (you pay higher if you're part time resident), then the occasional house maintenance costs, etc.

The good thing about hurricanes is that you know they are coming and can move out of the way or hunker down in a shelter designed for survival. I would opt for get out of the way. I have been through many typhoons and hurricanes (12+) since I was 7 yrs old so not worried about them. No real timely warning with earthquakes to give you time to avoid it and I wouldn't want a building falling in on top of me. I'm not too worried about massive forest fires either. Palm trees don't burn well and they are usually spaced too far apart. Have I seen too many disaster movies? :ermm:

Cheers!

Not to worry. They are working on earthquake prediction. Though, like fusion power, it's always 20 years away. :) Or maybe not anymore?

A few people have mentioned 55+ communities. There are 2 that I’m very familiar with in Texas: Sun City in Georgetown (25 miles north of Austin) and Robson Ranch (30 miles northwest of Dallas). Lots of tennis and pickleball players in each and $300k might be doable for a 2/2/2 home. We sold a 2/2/2 in Sun City last year for $321k, fully furnished and recently remodeled. Both are excellent locations with golf cart commuting within the communities. The occasional cold front moves through, like the one coming this week, but year round play is the norm.

A few people have mentioned 55+ communities. There are 2 that I’m very familiar with in Texas: Sun City in Georgetown (25 miles north of Austin) and Robson Ranch (30 miles northwest of Dallas). Lots of tennis and pickleball players in each and $300k might be doable for a 2/2/2 home. We sold a 2/2/2 in Sun City last year for $321k, fully furnished and recently remodeled. Both are excellent locations with golf cart commuting within the communities. The occasional cold front moves through, like the one coming this week, but year round play is the norm.

Sun City/Georgetown is on our short list now that we have grandson #1 in Austin. We actually visited there a few year ago and toured the model homes fo the fun of it. If we bought, we would likely buy an existing home. We also have family and some friends nearby.

I'd live there minus the chartreuse vanity, wallpaper and the carpet...

There are smaller, more modern houses on small lots in a similar range. Sun City Grand is newer and pricier.

There are a number of larger retirement communities with the desired recreational amenities. Might be worth a trip to look at the possibilities.

I snowbird to the Florida panhandle each year but I rent via a standard snowbird rental agreement. From December thru March the snowbird rates are half off the normal rental rates for those over 55 at 30 days or more. You can pick your favorite condo and lock it in every year. You meet the same friends each year that all do the same. Way better for me than purchasing the condo imo. Ymmv

How about this 1,700 sq.ft. condo with a 2-car garage overlooking a golf course for a mere $188K in California City, CA?

Yes, in California.

See: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/21321-Conklin-Ct-California-City-CA-93505/18962760_zpid/

fea434b5d9d49e432aab005ba97856da-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.webp

You don't know about California City, and have not heard of it? Well, then you need to watch this YouTube video.

If you like to get land and build your own place, you can get 19 acres for $15K. Plenty of room to have your own solar farm.

I snowbird to the Florida panhandle each year but I rent via a standard snowbird rental agreement. From December thru March the snowbird rates are half off the normal rental rates for those over 55 at 30 days or more. You can pick your favorite condo and lock it in every year. You meet the same friends each year that all do the same. Way better for me than purchasing the condo imo. Ymmv

You book direct thru landlord?

Not to be a Debie downer, I think that Decent and $300k in the same sentence for R.E. these days is an Oxymoron. $500k is the new $300k. Taking into account, decent weather (No Snow), crime, access to healthcare, well-kept properties and how the municipality keeps up the surrounding areas etc. We have been looking for over 3 years to downside here in N.E. Fla. and have decided to stay put for now. Then there are the added costs of being a "New Resident" in another state, not being grandfathered into RE Tax concessions etc. JMHO, I could be wrong.

Last edited:
I have a house in Gladden Farms…a nice and safe hood in Marana AZ…20 miles north of Tucson. There are still a few small houses here at the $300K mark. Green Valley/Sahuarita…20 miles South has plenty in the $200k-$300K range….some in gated 55+ resort style hoods too….like Rancho Resort. Green Valley has lots of tennis options. https://redf.in/IlC5B5

We live in Sun City West, since 2020. The housing market has DEFINITELY slowed down here, so your friend's concerns are diminished. Sun City West has 8 golf courses, four recreation centers (each with a fitness center and pool), over 100 clubs, and many homes pay no school taxes. There are a variety of house styles and price ranges, built in sections, many with back yards on golf courses. The clubs are what ranks this community usually only behind The Villages in Florida in retirement communities (of course, there's that whole hurricane thing). Clubs with dedicated facilities include an Auto Restoration Club, Zymurgy, Clay club, Model Railroading, Woodworking, metalworking, Weaving/spinning, Quilting, stained glass, card clubs of all types, Boomers, dancing of all types, Photography, Yoga, Movie theater, Leatherworking, jewelry making, Swim club, aerobics, etc. Oh, yes, many tennis courts, although I will say that some tennis courts have been converted to Pickleball, which is VERY popular.

Most of SCW does not pay school taxes. Our property taxes are about 1/2 of what we paid in rural Illinois. Our property insurance is about 2/3 of Illinois. Our car registration, however, is MUCH higher than Illinois.

Sun City West is NOT a city. We are an unincorporated area, so we rely on Maricopa county for sheriff, road maintenance, etc., and local utilities for water, sewer, electricity, garbage/recycling, etc.

Here's a link: https://suncitywest.com/

I have a house in Gladden Farms…a nice and safe hood in Marana AZ…20 miles north of Tucson. There are still a few small houses here at the $300K mark. Green Valley/Sahuarita…20 miles South has plenty in the $200k-$300K range….some in gated 55+ resort style hoods too….like Rancho Resort. Green Valley has lots of tennis options. https://redf.in/IlC5B5

A decent distance from major cities is likely required for a 300K price tag. Close to major shopping and especially medical care starts to raise prices rather quickly. One needs to decide what is most important when home shopping so YMMV.

How about this 1,700 sq.ft. condo with a 2-car garage overlooking a golf course for a mere $188K in California City, CA?

Yes, in California.

See: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/21321-Conklin-Ct-California-City-CA-93505/18962760_zpid/

fea434b5d9d49e432aab005ba97856da-uncropped_scaled_within_1536_1152.webp

You don't know about California City, and have not heard of it? Well, then you need to watch this YouTube video.

If you like to get land and build your own place, you can get 19 acres for $15K. Plenty of room to have your own solar farm.

Back in the late 1960's I was flying for a commuter airline in Los Angeles, and got to see California City from the air on an almost daily basis. Never visited on the ground. The vast mileage of gravel streets was amazing. I felt that it had potential, but probably not in my lifetime. The video makes it look like nothing has changed during the last 50 years.

We now live in one of the far suburbs about 1.5 hours from Chicago in a nice but not extravagant community. Houses are (relatively) cheap, property taxes are pretty high, but retired folks like us usually end up paying no state income tax. Summers are nice, winter (like today) can really suk.
Four years ago some neighbors did a lot of investigation and concluded that their overall cost of living would be about $500/month less in a smaller but nice house in Chandler, AZ. Now that they've been there a while, they concluded that the total cost of living there is about the same as back here in Illinois. Some things cheaper, some more expensive. Their winters are much nicer but they really suffer in summer.

Four years ago some neighbors did a lot of investigation and concluded that their overall cost of living would be about $500/month less in a smaller but nice house in Chandler, AZ. Now that they've been there a while, they concluded that the total cost of living there is about the same as back here in Illinois. Some things cheaper, some more expensive. Their winters are much nicer but they really suffer in summer.

Right now, they probably feel quite happier being in Chandler than in Illinois. :)

Now that they've been there a while, they concluded that the total cost of living there is about the same as back here in Illinois. Some things cheaper, some more expensive. Their winters are much nicer but they really suffer in summer.

Yeah, closest to perfect weather is right here in Paradise. Unfortunately, it costs a bit more (heh, heh, a lot more) than IL or AZ!

Our priorities are Good Weather, Good infrastructure and Access to top notch health care in under an hour.

Up until this year N.E. Fla, fit the bill, not for the OP's costs though unless one has a Mobile home further inland, whether that is your idea of Decent, you decide).

Today it is 30*F Where we are, Brrrrrrrrrrrrr. It was 70*F yesterday. Not for long though, in all our time here it has never been this cool. :)

Last edited:
Our priorities are Good Weather and Access to top notch health care in under an hour.

Up until this year N.E. Fla, fit the bill, not for the OP's costs though unless one has a Mobile home further inland, whether that is your idea of Decent, you decide). Today it is 30*F Where we are, Brrrrrrrrrrrrr. Not for long though, in all our time here it has never been this cool. :)

I have lived in N.E. Fla for the past 55+ years and so far this weather is nothing to get excited about. It isn't even close. In that time there were 30 years in the 20's, 6 years the temps were in the teens, and one year in single digits.

Cheers!

Hey Al in Ohio - where would one start to look into that. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider manufactured housing. Had it not been for this place's restriction on dogs needing to be under 30 lbs we would have bought there, Carribean Naples in North Naples, FL: https://www.caribbeannaples.com/

We used to stay at the RV park next door (Lake San Marino RV Resort) and several couples who were full-time in their RV sold them and bought in this place. They did a big upgrade a few years ago with a new clubhouse and a new pool. The new ownership forced the junk old park models to fix up or sell out. Several sold out, were torn down, and had new homes built: https://www.caribbeannaples.com/homes/

The new homes are built to Wind Zone 3 standards. Those homes had very little damage during Ian per our acquaintances who moved there. Some older ones had roofs ripped off, etc.

The location is right off the Tamiami Trail (State Route 41) and there is a LOT of tennis in the Naples, FL area. We bike and we could leave the RV park next door and ride our bikes 20 miles on paths and bike lanes.

You do not own the land but are "guaranteed" a lease on the land for as long as you own the home. (What that means for your heirs I do not know.) I think the costs to live there (rent, insurance, etc.) were about $1,000 a month US a year ago.

But homeowner's insurance is expected to skyrocket again after Ian. My sister lives north of there, did not get flooded, and is bracing for an increase in her homeowner's insurance from about $3,500 a year to close to $10,000 a year. Of course, the cheaper your home to replace the lower the insurance costs, theoretically...

A similar option is to buy a "park model" or a "permanent" in an RV park. Many, many RV parks are selling these things because they guarantee a cash flow. Some places are horrid and others very nice.

We have friends who realized they were simply hauling their RV from the north to the south each Fall and back in the Spring, mostly. So they sold their RV and bought a park model home. Those are far more cheaply built than manufactured housing but also are far cheaper. We also have friends who bought a permanent in Lake San Marino next door because they drove from Nashville to there each year so they sold the RV.

Yes, you're paying whatever your contract with the RV park says, the price can go way up if the RV park is sold or at renewal time, etc. But it is a far more affordable option initially.

If you do decide to look in the southwest USA, be certain to consider the impact of water shortages or rationing. I have no idea how much is hype versus reality but when you read about small towns scrambling to find replacement water sources you do wonder.

https://www.12news.com/article/news...-days/75-abb1638c-1e26-4092-a7a3-075433e7e6cf

Good luck,

Ray

Attachments

• Caribbean Naples Sales Pak 09-2021.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
A decent distance from major cities is likely required for a 300K price tag. Close to major shopping and especially medical care starts to raise prices rather quickly. One needs to decide what is most important when home shopping so YMMV.

Marana borders up against Tucson and depending on where you live may be closer to many of Tucson's better offerings (shopping, dining, hospitals) then many Tucson residents. Very fast growing city and just an extension of the Tucson metro area, hard to tell where one stops and the other begins. Cities are very spread out in the SW so 20 miles is nothing, you get used to it. That being said $300K there is at the very low end with few offerings, doubt that segment would drop much if any and will likely increase.

Last edited:
Perhaps you wouldn't need property insurance bu you would still need liability insurance and to my knowledge you can't buy a liability insurance policy... it needs to attach to either a renter's, condo or home policy.

Our umbrella policy is attached to our auto policy.

Makes sense. If I were to move to Florida, I would look for good construction, and try to avoid a flood zone (not be too close to the water). I would not consider California due to income taxes - and the new homeowners being assessed much higher property taxes than longer term homeowners. We have been impacted by hurricanes on Long Island - "Super Storm Sandy" being the most impactful (although not lately and not as frequently) but are not in a flood zone so that helps. I can recall being in two, very mild quakes. (No damage: some movement and noise.)

You are going to get that same jump in property taxes in FL if you purchase from a longtime, resident owner. The Save Our Homes valuation will reset to current valuation as will the property taxes when the home changes ownership.

You are going to get that same jump in property taxes in FL if you purchase from a longtime, resident owner. The Save Our Homes valuation will reset to current valuation as will the property taxes when the home changes ownership.

Yup, we are paying 2g more than the previous owner of the house (even though our real estate agent friend insisted it would not be a mathematical current update assessed value formula). I knew better though and future increases are limited to 3% max yearly.

Back
Top Bottom