Any decent snowbird areas for $300,000 or under?

If you want Arizona, try Yuma. Lots of snowbirds there.

It's been 40 years, but I spent several days in Yuma. Not my idea of a great retirement area, but it so depends upon what you want. No idea about tennis either. At least it would be warmer. I did some ag research in lettuce and cotton fields there. In the February mornings, there were icicles hanging from the irrigation sprayers but by afternoon it was low 80s. YMMV

Is it true that property taxes for non Florida residents is sky high? Any hurricane concerns?

Not at all. One of my neighbors is a non-resident and his 2022 property tax bill is $3,027. Assessed value is $172,000. Fair value is probably more like $300k. 1,444 sf under air.

Couldn't you build a elevated (maybe 8 feet?) concrete dome house in one of those hurricane areas and just forget about needing insurance?

Perhaps you wouldn't need property insurance bu you would still need liability insurance and to my knowledge you can't buy a liability insurance policy... it needs to attach to either a renter's, condo or home policy.

It's been 40 years, but I spent several days in Yuma. Not my idea of a great retirement area, but it so depends upon what you want. No idea about tennis either. At least it would be warmer. I did some ag research in lettuce and cotton fields there. In the February mornings, there were icicles hanging from the irrigation sprayers but by afternoon it was low 80s. YMMV

That area has changed a lot in the past 40 yrs, and you might be surprised. There's still a Marine base and a lot of agriculture, but it's also one of the more affordable snowbird areas with a lot of housing in OP's price range. It's convenient for day trips to Phoenix, San Diego, Northern Mexico, etc. The big drawback is its distance from an international airport.

OP would have to look into the local tennis community, but it's only a couple of hours to get to Indian Wells for one of the best pro tournaments in March.

Former neighbors bought a condo for part-time living in the Deep Canyon Tennis Club in Palm Desert, CA, a few years back. That might suit you if the prices come back down a little.

Sierra Vista AZ always seems to be inexpensive but it seems too our of the way for us

That area has changed a lot in the past 40 yrs, and you might be surprised. There's still a Marine base and a lot of agriculture, but it's also one of the more affordable snowbird areas with a lot of housing in OP's price range. It's convenient for day trips to Phoenix, San Diego, Northern Mexico, etc. The big drawback is its distance from an international airport.

OP would have to look into the local tennis community, but it's only a couple of hours to get to Indian Wells for one of the best pro tournaments in March.

Oh, yeah. I remember that drive to Yuma from Phoenix airport. That was brutal. My impression of Yuma was that it was built up on both sides of the main road, about 3 blocks deep and a couple of miles long. I also spent some time in Parker later that year. Not much of a town, but close to lots of water activities around Parker dam. YMMV

Not at all. One of my neighbors is a non-resident and his 2022 property tax bill is $3,027. Assessed value is $172,000. Fair value is probably more like $300k. 1,444 sf under air.

Sir, would you happen to know what the full-time FLA Residents get as far as 'Senior Citizens' RE Tax Breaks ?? What constitutes a 'Homestead' Discount ??

Here in South Carolina, the full-timers pay 2% of Assessed Value. And the out of state owners pay 4% of Assessed Value. That may not seem like a lot of difference....but it can be an additional $2K and up.

Last edited:
Sir, would you happen to know what the full-time FLA Residents get as far as 'Senior Citizens' RE Tax Breaks ?? What constitutes a 'Homestead' Discount ??

Here in South Carolina, the full-timers pay 2% of Assessed Value. And the out of state owners pay 4% of Assessed Value. That may not seem like a lot of difference....but it can be an additional $2K and up.

To my knowledge, there are no Senior real estate tax breaks, just homestead... so a 34yo homesteader gets the same tax breaks as a 70yo homesteader.

Homesteaders get $25k off their assessment for school taxes and $50k off of their assessment for other taxes. Annual increases in assessed values are limited to 3% annually for homesteaders and unlimited for out-of-state owners as I recall, so you are somewhat insluated from big annual increases. My property tax bill is 31% lower than my out-of-state neighbors with the same footprint. YMMV

But our summer home in our former home state is higher because we no longer qualify for property tax relief there, but for just property taxes we are a little ahead and for state taxes, we are far ahead.

Mine is way more, but my assessed value went up. Florida non resident town home, clearwater, taxes approaching 5k.

State and even county exemptions are all over the place. All resident owners here in Hawaii receive $100K exemption against assessed value but those over age 65 receive an extra $40K exemption.

Just got a whopping increase in assessed value this week. We're looking into an appeal, but since our real property taxes will still remain under 2K/year, we may decide not to bother. Very few units in our Condo bldg. have sold lately, making the process more cumbersome. YMMV

Oh, yeah. I remember that drive to Yuma from Phoenix airport. That was brutal. My impression of Yuma was that it was built up on both sides of the main road, about 3 blocks deep and a couple of miles long. I also spent some time in Parker later that year. Not much of a town, but close to lots of water activities around Parker dam. YMMV

No, Yuma is significantly larger and more populated than Parker.

Yuma population: 97K. Parker population: 3.3K.

Back in the early 80s, my megacorp had a project being tested down in Yuma and I spent some time down there. Even back then, the town was built up.

Since then, I have driven by Yuma quite a few times over the years on the way to/from San Diego, but never had the need to stop there.

My favorite story about Parker was eating at a restaurant on the main drag. As we left the restaurant, there was one of those newspaper vending machines sitting right by the door. The weekly paper showed a picture of a guy who had been murdered, lying in the street with blood running everywhere. A second look showed that the picture was taken in front of the restaurant. I felt as if I'd been time-warped back to the 1890s or even earlier. YMMV

To my knowledge, there are no Senior real estate tax breaks, just homestead... so a 34yo homesteader gets the same tax breaks as a 70yo homesteader.

Homesteaders get $25k off their assessment for school taxes and $50k off of their assessment for other taxes. Annual increases in assessed values are limited to 3% annually for homesteaders and unlimited for out-of-state owners as I recall, so you are somewhat insluated from big annual increases. My property tax bill is 31% lower than my out-of-state neighbors with the same footprint. YMMV

But our summer home in our former home state is higher because we no longer qualify for property tax relief there, but for just property taxes we are a little ahead and for state taxes, we are far ahead.

Thanks pb4uski. If I read the tax code correctly, all that is needed for the Homestead Exemption is to be residing in the home on January 1st of the calendar year.

We pay $5,800/yr in property taxes for our Broward County 1200 sq ft condo with ocean view, built in 1971 and remodeled in 2018. It’s not cheap.

I am in Canada and every year my older Canadian friend goes to Arizona for six months and tells me I need to buy ASAP before prices go higher. Granted; looks like houses have come down 10-15% in many areas lately and possible weakness ahead. I remind him that he bought a $300kUSD foreclosure in 2011 when CAD$ was higher than USD and that his house is now worth $1Million USD and he basically won the lottery and that lottery is not paying out anymore.

Is there anywhere in the US where one can buy a decent house or condo for $300,000USD or less that a snowbird would consider living half the year? I am a big tennis fan so important to have a strong tennis community.

I’m watching this thread closely because I too am a huge tennis fanatic and am wondering where to move once I retire. I haven’t seen many recommendations that seem to meet your criteria of having a strong tennis community.

Florida definitely has some of the best tennis options if you can find a decent property in your price range. For me personally, I don’t think Florida would work for me due to humidity, bugs and hurricanes/storms. West coast feels like a better fit if I can afford it and find a good tennis community. But it might be right for you.

You should also consider Hilton Head and Charleston. They are both near the coast or on the coast and both have lots of tennis. I’ve heard good things about the Charleston tennis leagues. I don’t have first hand experience, just reporting based on what I’ve heard from other sources. I do like the area but again, I’m a bit gun shy about storms and hurricanes even though FL gets more of that activity than SC.

I’m watching this thread closely because I too am a huge tennis fanatic and am wondering where to move once I retire. I haven’t seen many recommendations that seem to meet your criteria of having a strong tennis community.

Florida definitely has some of the best tennis options if you can find a decent property in your price range. For me personally, I don’t think Florida would work for me due to humidity, bugs and hurricanes/storms. West coast feels like a better fit if I can afford it and find a good tennis community. But it might be right for you.

You should also consider Hilton Head and Charleston. They are both near the coast or on the coast and both have lots of tennis. I’ve heard good things about the Charleston tennis leagues. I don’t have first hand experience, just reporting based on what I’ve heard from other sources. I do like the area but again, I’m a bit gun shy about storms and hurricanes even though FL gets more of that activity than SC.

Don't fall in when a crack in the earth opens up. :D

Cheers!

Don't fall in when a crack in the earth opens up. :D

Cheers!

Not worried about earthquakes; I grew up with them. 10 seconds of shaking and it’s done. The 1989 quake was a little scarier, I admit, but for me personally I think I’d rather risk an earthquake than a hurricane. The two areas of CA I’m primarily considering are not as high risk for earthquakes as other parts of the state are, and OR and WA don’t have as much risk either.

Not worried about earthquakes; I grew up with them. 10 seconds of shaking and it’s done. The 1989 quake was a little scarier, I admit, but for me personally I think I’d rather risk an earthquake than a hurricane. The two areas of CA I’m primarily considering are not as high risk for earthquakes as other parts of the state are, and OR and WA don’t have as much risk either.

The good thing about hurricanes is that you know they are coming and can move out of the way or hunker down in a shelter designed for survival. I would opt for get out of the way. I have been through many typhoons and hurricanes (12+) since I was 7 yrs old so not worried about them. No real timely warning with earthquakes to give you time to avoid it and I wouldn't want a building falling in on top of me. I'm not too worried about massive forest fires either. Palm trees don't burn well and they are usually spaced too far apart. Have I seen too many disaster movies? :ermm:

Cheers!

The Tennis Community is very active here in the Charleston area. Check out the Credit One Tennis Stadium -- home to the WTA Charleston Open every April.....Shelby Rogers is a local player with a big following.
https://www.creditonecharlestonopen.com/

This facility just had a major renovation. There are also several courts on the premises for lessons and league play. The Stadium features outdoor concerts in the summer and fall. They have currently set up a custom ice skating rink, just in case you're missing that aspect of the Great White North.
https://creditonestadium.com/skate-the-stadium/

You will find plenty of homes and condos on Daniel Island. But the prices have run up significantly since the COVID Re-Opening.

The good thing about hurricanes is that you know they are coming and can move out of the way or hunker down in a shelter designed for survival. I would opt for get out of the way. I have been through many typhoons and hurricanes (12+) since I was 7 yrs old so not worried about them. No real timely warning with earthquakes to give you time to avoid it and I wouldn't want a building falling in on top of me. I'm not too worried about massive forest fires either. Palm trees don't burn well and they are usually spaced too far apart. Have I seen too many disaster movies? :ermm:

Cheers!

Yes! There hasn’t been a significant earthquake in Ca since 1994. Other than some smoke in the air most people don’t live anywhere near where the Forest fires have occurred.

Laguna Woods is huge but still pretty pricey. When my grandfather lived there 10 years ago the association dues where over $500/ month. South Orange County is still nice with mild weather but definitely over 300k.

We go to Arizona at least once a year the Phoenix area has changed. The homeless have moved in. It’s off our list. It’s hard to find a place with the great weather of Southern Ca. Maybe prices with drop, renting might make for sense for a time.

I just looked on Realtor.com the association fees for Laguna Woods is $777-$793 and the cheapest places are 400-500k.

Back
Top Bottom