Any decent snowbird areas for $300,000 or under?

Here is a book folks might find useful for searches like this. My copy is over 25 years old - so way out of date. What I liked about it was that it had a number of categories rated - allowing you to set your own priorities. I always hated those click bait (and at one time magazine) articles on "best places to live." You couldn't tease out the data so, if, for instance, "weather" was more important to you than say j*b opportunity, it was impossible to separate that out.

This series gives you the opportunity to decide, based on YOUR rating but basing it on THEIR data.

https://books.google.com/books?id=S...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

The good thing about hurricanes is that you know they are coming and can move out of the way or hunker down in a shelter designed for survival. I would opt for get out of the way. I have been through many typhoons and hurricanes (12+) since I was 7 yrs old so not worried about them. No real timely warning with earthquakes to give you time to avoid it and I wouldn't want a building falling in on top of me. I'm not too worried about massive forest fires either. Palm trees don't burn well and they are usually spaced too far apart. Have I seen too many disaster movies? :ermm:

Cheers!

I think a big factor is where one grew up. I grew up in CA and earthquakes weren’t a big deal. The big one in 1989 wasn’t good, 63 fatalities attributed to it, but the quake itself was over in about 30 seconds and it was done. There have been floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, even this current winter storm that has killed lots of people. The areas I’m looking at aren’t big earthquake areas either.

On the other hand, my mom, who grew up in the Midwest, was terrified of earthquakes. Lightning (my big phobia, along with spiders) and tornadoes didn’t phase her a bit. I imagine that hurricanes don’t worry you since you grew up with them, but I would be uncomfortable with the thought of evacuating and coming back to a ruined house. That’s just me.

Here is a book folks might find useful for searches like this. My copy is over 25 years old - so way out of date. What I liked about it was that it had a number of categories rated - allowing you to set your own priorities.

https://books.google.com/books?id=S...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Koolau, thanks for the link. It’s an interesting book to flip through. I look for a recent edition without any luck. Does anyone know if there is one available or of a similar book?

OK what's the catch??!!

Check out Laguna Woods Village in Laguna Woods, CA. A 55+ community.

Yes, there are some HOA fees that I don't love. (the condos are OUT)
Some look pretty nice...
But these prices are too good to be true for the OC!!!

With any HOA make sure you study the HOA financials especially reserves and ask to see a reserve study to understand unfunded/under funded costs. If there is no reserve study, run away fast.
Under insured is another time bomb for HOAs. Unforeseen assessments will blow up your finances in a hurry.
I served on three HOA boards.

While the association fees are $600-800+, I've got a nice bunch of $245K-350K places pulled up!
Those prices are real. Prices range from that level up to 1.8Million. HOA fees are somewhat high but many things are included and there are many amenities available. The place is gated and a relatively safe community. Like anywhere else the place has its pluses and minuses. But it's in south Orange County and no where is less money in that area than Laguna Woods.

I don’t really want to give away the secret but check out the Rio Grande Valley in Texas. Last year for $219k we bought a beautiful house fully furnished with free golf and daily pickleball. They play tennis also but I like pickleball better. Downside is property taxes 3k/yr and HOA dues $1,300/yr.

I don’t really want to give away the secret but check out the Rio Grande Valley in Texas. Last year for $219k we bought a beautiful house fully furnished with free golf and daily pickleball. They play tennis also but I like pickleball better. Downside is property taxes 3k/yr and HOA dues $1,300/yr.

Heh, heh, I'm jealous of those HOA dues. $900/month is roughly what we pay starting next year. BUT, our reserves are in great shape. Just a pool and nice grounds for amenities, but I consider "looking out the window" as the single best amenity in our building. YMMV

Heh, heh, I'm jealous of those HOA dues. $900/month is roughly what we pay starting next year. BUT, our reserves are in great shape. Just a pool and nice grounds for amenities, but I consider "looking out the window" as the single best amenity in our building. YMMV

So how much of that $900/month is the view? We have high reserves in our HOA and we pay $200/month.

So how much of that $900/month is the view? We have high reserves in our HOA and we pay $200/month.

Actually, none of the HOA is for the view (well, we do get our windows washed twice per year.) Our building is getting old and is having lots of issues. A couple of years back we replaced the elevators which cost half a mil or so. We've had to deal with spalling and we paint every few years. We have 4 full time positions. Our grass and trees need lots of w*rk (as do all such growth in the Islands.) We do get our water/hot water/pool/cable TV/building insurance for that fee. We have very good reserves and have never required an assessment.

BUT looking out the window is "free" (if you have the money to buy a unit.)

How about the different Leisure World locations. I know Laguna Woods used to be one, but they still have ones in Seal Beach,CA and Mesa,AZ. They are older properties and I have no knowledge of what they are really like but they fall into the price range desired by the OP.

Consider the Philippines as a winter escape. Foreigners can not own land but 50 year leases are legal.
My property, 70meters elevation with ocean views both front and back was about 120,000usd

Back
Top Bottom