Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-06-2020, 07:54 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I filed at the beginning of april electronically and my refund status still shows as the process being in progress. (My refund is around $2,700.) Did most of you file electronically like myself or by mail?
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2020, 08:14 AM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets

We filed electronically on March 8th and it still shows in process for us as well. Our refund is larger than the stimulus so that would've been a better option for us.
Dogslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:18 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Printed and mailed my paper return in early March. IRS website shows no info available. Waiting on large refund ($13k) because of ACA subsidy credit.
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:31 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd_2015 View Post
Printed and mailed my paper return in early March. IRS website shows no info available. Waiting on large refund ($13k) because of ACA subsidy credit.
Why didn't you take it upfront, or it wasn't planned to be that large?
Old 06-06-2020, 08:42 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
Did you go to the website where you can check payment status? What did it say?
Yes, still no status what so ever. It's as if the envelope was date stamped when it arrived months ago but never actually opened, simply sitting in a big stack with millions of others. It's the California IRS office so I assume that has something to do with it, most offices are still shut down around here.
Drake3287 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:47 AM   #26

My neighbor had not received his check as of earlier this week, and I saw a local news item about some are being sent a debit card rather than a paper check. Another thread had some info about which IRS processing centers were doing debit cards. I sent him a note about debit card and he found his card in a stack of items to be shred. Good thing he hadn't been more prompt with the shred pile. Took it to CU yesterday and had it deposited to his account no problems except they wanted to see ID for a deposit.

Mine, I got a $27 direct deposit couple months ago. Still trying to figure if I'll save or spend the $$.
Old 06-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Why didn't you take it upfront, or it wasn't planned to be that large?
I pay the insurance premiums with the Fidelity Rewards card so I can get 2% back (~$250 in 2019). The other reason is I have a fear that I'm not going to stay under the ACA limit since my income can vary quite a bit (part time gig, investments, rental property). In a normal year I get my refund by end of March and 2% return isn't bad in today's interest rate environment. This year though I may have to wait until August/September.
FIREd_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:37 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd_2015 View Post
I pay the insurance premiums with the Fidelity Rewards card so I can get 2% back (~$250 in 2019). The other reason is I have a fear that I'm not going to stay under the ACA limit since my income can vary quite a bit (part time gig, investments, rental property). In a normal year I get my refund by end of March and 2% return isn't bad in today's interest rate environment. This year though I may have to wait until August/September.
The Fidelity rewards is an interesting angle.
I pay for my brother and I using BOA rewards at CVS, so I would get 5.25% on the 23k savings vs. the Ally Bank savings of 1.25%.
Never thought of that angle.

Edit - would actually have a 10k yearly limit, but still....
Old 06-06-2020, 12:01 PM   #29

Well, I'm glad to hear the delay is also happening to people who filed electronically, like myself. I was worried something was wrong with my particular return.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:05 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake3287 View Post
Yes, still no status what so ever. It's as if the envelope was date stamped when it arrived months ago but never actually opened, simply sitting in a big stack with millions of others. It's the California IRS office so I assume that has something to do with it, most offices are still shut down around here.
It must be among the 10 million pieces of unopened mail at IRS service centers.

Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I got my check a few weeks ago and yesterday I got a letter in the mail from the IRS telling me the check was coming. Oddly. the letter was signed with a seismograph.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:45 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I got my check a few weeks ago and yesterday I got a letter in the mail from the IRS telling me the check was coming. Oddly. the letter was signed with a seismograph.
We're talking tax refunds not Corona payments
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:48 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Talking regular tax refunds from 2019 taxes..not Corona payments..I still haven't filed and might just file an extension
Old 06-06-2020, 01:14 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

We e-filed with TurboTax in early March, with an expected Federal refund of $225. Standard deduction and no special situation except for the ACA Advance Premium Credit. As of last week the return is "still being processed" (but was accepted, so I know they got our original filing).

A couple weeks ago I opened the TurboTax file to look through it and see if there were any issues I could find. There was an obscure special ACA issue that resulted in requiring form 8885 ("recipient of a qualifying trade adjustment assistance program") and supporting documents to be snail-mailed to the IRS. I don't know how it happened - I must have answered some TurboTax question wrong and it led me to that end. We don't qualify for the special situation so I don't have the document they need.

Correcting the mistake resulted in an $18 reduction in the refund. I sent an amended 1040 with a $18 check on 5/21. The check has not yet cleared our bank.

I'm pretty sure our delay is due to the IRS waiting for the required document, but I'm hoping that the amended form will get things through the system and get our refund mailed.

I'm really glad the refund was small. If I was waiting for a big refund it would be a lot more frustrating!
BrianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
For me, the website just says still in process.
It appears from examples, that returns filed later went through okay with timely refunds.
Mine said that for a week, but then said I had to go in and enter electronic banking info. I thought that was odd, as we had given the banking info to them in years past. However, we had already filed our 2019 return and we owed money...so my guess is that they won't use "old" banking info...only from the most recent return. Not sure how you can check on that...but just a thought.
Old 06-06-2020, 02:26 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
We're talking tax refunds not Corona payments
Oops, still thought it was weird.
Old 06-06-2020, 03:43 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Oops, still thought it was weird.
You either get an electronic payment or a paper check. They then send a letter so they can verify you got the payment. Nothing weird about it.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:00 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
You either get an electronic payment or a paper check. They then send a letter so they can verify you got the payment. Nothing weird about it.
Oh yea? You should have seen the signature.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:14 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance Dave View Post
Mine said that for a week, but then said I had to go in and enter electronic banking info. I thought that was odd, as we had given the banking info to them in years past. However, we had already filed our 2019 return and we owed money...so my guess is that they won't use "old" banking info...only from the most recent return. Not sure how you can check on that...but just a thought.
Mine gives the same info 4 months later. I used the same banking info as the previous year, so that is not the issue for me.
Unfortunately the local office is still closed (but I can get a tattoo) and I won't be able to "talk strongly" to the IRS when they do open up.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:58 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if self-filers have to wait longer? Our CPA filed our return in April. State and Federal refunds were direct-deposited a week later.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote