Anyone else with delayed tax refunds?

Wow. Glad you asked this question. I am still waiting for my refund too.

For the first time in over a decade I filed my 2019 taxes using a paper 1040 form rather than an electronic submission. I needed to do it this way because we needed to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number for my Thai wife. We got a letter from the IRS with my wife’s ITIN in mid-March so I am assuming my tax form can be considered filed at that time. At the same time I filed my California taxes electronically and got my CA refund about 2 weeks later. Paper vs electronic really makes a difference.

I thought you could file federal returns electronically with an ITIN. Of course you need a valid ITIN and they expire after a certain number of years, so in your case you may have needed to file the W-7 to get a current one for your wife, but then after you have the new ITIN I'm pretty sure you can file electronically with it at the federal level.

I thought you could file federal returns electronically with an ITIN. Of course you need a valid ITIN and they expire after a certain number of years, so in your case you may have needed to file the W-7 to get a current one for your wife, but then after you have the new ITIN I'm pretty sure you can file electronically with it at the federal level.

We were applying for the ITIN for the first time. Our 2019 joint return was part of the documents required.

I filed electronically on Feb 1st as we are getting a $16,281 refund based on ACA. We kept of MAGI below the limit for 2019 to get the refund of our premium. Well in mid-March IRS sends a letter they needed a 1095 form, which I promptly to Kansas City office sent via registered mail, return receipt requested.
USPS tracking said letter was delivered Mar 23 but I found it odd that I never got the return receipt postcard. I kept checking IRS site but my refund was in process and no other info. I then saw an article in Washington Post about the IRS shutdown and trailer trucks full of mail just piling up, day after day. From what I hear they opened the office on June 1st but I still haven't seen anything.
Was counting on that money and we have always received our refund (if we had one coming) within 3 weeks after filing so needed to make some budget adjustments. Plus our "stimulus" checks are tied to our 2019 filing, which is incomplete so no $2400 for us right now.

Was counting on that money and we have always received our refund (if we had one coming) within 3 weeks after filing so needed to make some budget adjustments. Plus our "stimulus" checks are tied to our 2019 filing, which is incomplete so no $2400 for us right now.

If they don’t have your 2019 tax return processed then they should use your 2018 return. I got my stimulus check the first week they were sending them out. Actually, an electronic deposit. I haven’t seen my 2019 refund yet.

I filed electronically on Feb 1st as we are getting a $16,281 refund based on ACA. We kept of MAGI below the limit for 2019 to get the refund of our premium. Well in mid-March IRS sends a letter they needed a 1095 form, which I promptly to Kansas City office sent via registered mail, return receipt requested.
USPS tracking said letter was delivered Mar 23 but I found it odd that I never got the return receipt postcard. I kept checking IRS site but my refund was in process and no other info. I then saw an article in Washington Post about the IRS shutdown and trailer trucks full of mail just piling up, day after day. From what I hear they opened the office on June 1st but I still haven't seen anything.

I thought the 1095 (A) form was not officially part of documentation needed to be filed for ACA refunds/reconciliations.

Wow. Glad you asked this question. I am still waiting for my refund too.

For the first time in over a decade I filed my 2019 taxes using a paper 1040 form rather than an electronic submission. I needed to do it this way because we needed to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number for my Thai wife. We got a letter from the IRS with my wife’s ITIN in mid-March so I am assuming my tax form can be considered filed at that time. At the same time I filed my California taxes electronically and got my CA refund about 2 weeks later. Paper vs electronic really makes a difference.

Many posters here used electronic filing and still haven't received a refund.
Probably more depends on the timing of the filing and luck of the draw.
I know many folks who filed electronically later than me (late Feb) and already received their refund.

If they don’t have your 2019 tax return processed then they should use your 2018 return. I got my stimulus check the first week they were sending them out. Actually, an electronic deposit. I haven’t seen my 2019 refund yet.

Our AGI was too high in 2018 so we don't qualify for that year. That is why we had to pay full ACA premiums in 2019 because no subsidy but it gets returned via 2019 taxes.

I thought the 1095 (A) form was not officially part of documentation needed to be filed for ACA refunds/reconciliations.

It was not officially part of the filing, that is why HR Block tax software didn't include it. However, it looks like during the initial audit they flagged such a large refund and wanted additional documentation to prove we actually qualified because they specifically asked for that form, which I provided.
The letter from IRS said it will then take 6-8 weeks after they get the form to provide a refund so we won't see that money until the fall I predict. :(

I e-filed 5/24 to the IRS and NC. My NC refund is $1556, and I requested direct deposit. I owe the IRS $1438, and I asked to pay with a direct debit on 7/14.

Hopefully, my refund comes before the debit, but I'm not going to hold my breathe. :nonono:

It was not officially part of the filing, that is why HR Block tax software didn't include it. However, it looks like during the initial audit they flagged such a large refund and wanted additional documentation to prove we actually qualified because they specifically asked for that form, which I provided.
The letter from IRS said it will then take 6-8 weeks after they get the form to provide a refund so we won't see that money until the fall I predict. :(

Interesting.
I always thought the reason why the 1095 form was not needed to be filed, was that the IRS receives this form independently in order to review the information on Form 8962 as part of a matching program.

I mailed our paper return at the beginning of the pandemic in March, and have heard nothing about our refund. Crickets. Then I read about those heaps of paper returns being piled in storage units. But I just sent in estimated quarterly taxes for my husband's small business, and the check was cashed...immediately. Yeah.

I e-filed 5/24 to the IRS and NC. My NC refund is $1556, and I requested direct deposit. I owe the IRS $1438, and I asked to pay with a direct debit on 7/14.

Hopefully, my refund comes before the debit, but I'm not going to hold my breathe. :nonono:

I eFiled mine 6/1. Received FED ACK in 8 minutes. I owe so EFTPS will beam out the payment in July. eFiled MD same time. Refund hit bank in 3 days. They have automated a lot with returns that aren't complicated in Maryland.

I mailed our paper return at the beginning of the pandemic in March, and have heard nothing about our refund. Crickets. Then I read about those heaps of paper returns being piled in storage units. But I just sent in estimated quarterly taxes for my husband's small business, and the check was cashed...immediately. Yeah.

Paper returns are slow in good times and risky IMO. I think it is going to take months to work through the backlog. The workforce won't be going back to business as usual. I'm sure the workplace will be rearranged to create separation and the process will be slower to allow for decontamination of paper.

:mad: Still waiting for almost $10K in refunds - since March!

Unless I missed it, why doesn't the IRS simply put a notice on its web site describing the issue and anticipated date of normal refund returns? I'm sure it's there someplace but certainly not obvious like it should be.

Good news! My NC refund just hit my account! :dance:

Unless I missed it, why doesn't the IRS simply put a notice on its web site describing the issue and anticipated date of normal refund returns? I'm sure it's there someplace but certainly not obvious like it should be.

Good idea, but don't see it.
Not to mention I don't know why their local office is not open. If they are working from home, what exact work are they doing?

Good idea, but don't see it.
Not to mention I don't know why their local office is not open. If they are working from home, what exact work are they doing?

See post #5.

That page also says...

...the IRS continues to process electronic tax returns, issue direct deposit refunds and accept electronic payments.

I sent my return in the last week of February and still haven't received my paper check refund. Govt site just says still processing return. No phone support available either. Can't do much about it except wait.

Last edited:
Paper returns are slow in good times and risky IMO. I think it is going to take months to work through the backlog. The workforce won't be going back to business as usual. I'm sure the workplace will be rearranged to create separation and the process will be slower to allow for decontamination of paper.

If it sat in a box for months they won't need to worry about decontamination.:dance:

Because it's the IRS that's why.....it would be a WAG

Last edited:
My two adult daughters both sent in their 2019 taxes by mail around the start of the Corona virus a few months ago and still haven't received paper refund checks from the IRS yet.

I know sending it in by mail is the slow way of doing it but we used my Turbo Tax software and I had already used the one e-file that came with it so my simply printed my daughters out and mailed them.

Talk about a limit :mad:

This is Another reason I switched to TaxCut (H&R Block) and haven't looked back for years. Sure it's a little pain to switch, but not much. Then it's easy peasy every year after that.

TaxCut is cheaper, I normally pay ~$21 for the middle version Fed & State.

It included 5 Federal e-file for free.
It does charge per each State filing, so those I print and mail or use the simple online State office return following along my printed out TaxCut one.

I do 4 tax returns each yr, for relatives, so I like the e-file Fed part for them.

It allows a huge number of printed returns to mail (no idea if any limit).

Electronically filed my parents taxes on April 6th and they had their refund deposited on April 13th. Same with our son. Less than a week between electronic filing and his deposit. This is prob the fastest I have ever seen refunds for either of them. Strange times...:confused:

E-filed in April and got dd refund in two weeks. Paper filed for my MIL also in April and have neither state nor federal refunds.
Also waiting on a "review" of my MIL's 2018 return (and the refund) for which a response was promised by January.

Back
Top Bottom