Anyone else with delayed tax refunds?

Wow, thank you for posting this. At least, it makes sense that they pay for interest, as they force us to pay interest when/if we are late. They will be paying a lot of interest this year...

Hey 3% on a risk free investment is not so bad.

No refund check here yet, filed electronically mid-April. Our income/tax return was very different from our usual due to a number of events, so we are expecting a VERY rare refund. But if they are paying that kind of interest, I'm in no hurry to get my check. Can't get that rate of interest anyplace else. IF of course, they pay it.

FYI. I mailed an amended return, certified mail on March 7, to the Missouri office. It was delivered March 11, per USPS tracking. Been checking the online status which showed no record of it. I guess what was stated earlier in this thread was correct, about things just piling up in their mail room until offices re-opened. I checked online this morning and now it shows in process. It also does show that it was received March 11.

E-filed in early April.. Due to an incorrect bank account number the DW and I got a paper check 24 April. Our DD, with a correct account and routing number (filed in April with us), is still waiting for her refund. IRS site shows "Your tax return is still being processed."

Good news!!! I electronically filed at the beginning of April and the refund status today finally shows "Refund Approved", "Your tax refund is scheduled to be sent to your bank by July 1, 2020."

Anyvody else having any luck? Maybe the queue is finally moving.

Last edited:
I e-filed about three weeks ago. The refund check arrived today.

I don't get it... It makes absolutely no sense...:mad:

+1 I e-filed for DS on May 19 and his return was accepted. The email from TurboTax says "Once your refund is issued – typically in 3 weeks or less – it will be on its way to being all yours via your preferred delivery method." and what they say there is typical with my past experience.

A couple weeks ago I did the "Where's my refund?" and it didn't even have record of the return. A couple days ago I did a "Where's my refund?" and they now say "Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available."

Last year he e-filed on March 23 and received his refund on March 29.

Definitely a huge decline in service.... no real difference in his return between last year and this year... mostly W-2 income, IRA deduction, standard deduction and the retirement saver's tax credit.

I had to file an amended return on last year's filing due to forgetting a major expense in regards to my rental property. My CPA said it had to be a manual (not electronic) filing. Well I mailed it (I don't even think I have proof of mailing) 3 months ago. When I checked online, it doesn't even find it. Could that be because it is an amendment of 2018? Is the IRS open and processing paper returns or amendments at this time?

I mailed a paper return, sent via certified mail, in late February. Tracking shows that it was received on Feb. 26. However, when I check online, there is no indication that it's even been received.

This should shed some light on delayed returns:

"Extreme delays" for millions of taxpayers awaiting IRS refunds

Millions of American taxpayers are still waiting for the IRS to process their federal income tax return — and waiting to receive their refunds, according to a new report from National Taxpayer Advocate Erin Collins.

Collins said in a report to Congress the IRS had a backlog of 4.7 million returns for the 2019 tax year as of mid-May, which is delaying refunds for many.

"Taxpayers who filed a 2019 paper return and are entitled to refunds may be in for a long wait," Collins cautioned in the report.

I had been wishing my refund would show up until I saw the interest rates.

(I efiled with TurboTax mid-April.
Refund for my online state submission received a few weeks ago. )

But I don't mind lending them a few thousand $$ for a few more months at 3% - much better than the new CDs I got last week.

The interest rate drops tomorrow. It has been 5%. Decreasing to 3% tomorrow.

https://www.businessinsider.com/personal-finance/irs-will-pay-interest-on-delayed-tax-refunds-2020-6

• If your refund is issued between April 15 and June 30, you'll earn an annual 5% interest rate, compounded daily.
  • If your refund is issued between July 1 and September 30, you'll earn an annual 3% interest rate, compounded daily.

I just called the IRS to try to get a better idea of how to differentiate an expected delay from a real problem. As I mentioned earlier, I sent a return via certified mail and tracking shows it was received in the Ogden, Utah office on Feb. 26. What has been bothering me is that the refund status page has no record of my return. I could accept the delayed processing, but would like to at least see an acknowledgement that they know it's there.

The agent I spoke to said that they shut down the offices in March and that even a return received in February would likely not be showing as received. She told me that they are returning to work on July 13 and will resume processing paper returns on August 1. If I don't see a status update within 6 weeks of August 1, I should call again.

I thought I had seen that some of the offices were already back to processing paper returns, so am not convinced that this is 100% accurate info. I'm just passing it along for anyone else who might be wondering, FWIW. At least it gives a possible timeframe to look for.

I just called the IRS to try to get a better idea of how to differentiate an expected delay from a real problem. As I mentioned earlier, I sent a return via certified mail and tracking shows it was received in the Ogden, Utah office on Feb. 26. What has been bothering me is that the refund status page has no record of my return. I could accept the delayed processing, but would like to at least see an acknowledgement that they know it's there.

The agent I spoke to said that they shut down the offices in March and that even a return received in February would likely not be showing as received. She told me that they are returning to work on July 13 and will resume processing paper returns on August 1. If I don't see a status update within 6 weeks of August 1, I should call again.

I thought I had seen that some of the offices were already back to processing paper returns, so am not convinced that this is 100% accurate info. I'm just passing it along for anyone else who might be wondering, FWIW. At least it gives a possible timeframe to look for.

I just started a new thread... information released today says IRS has over 12 million pieces of backlogged mail as of mid May around 4.5 million were tax returns. As this point you might be better off not bothering to even call them. I think that timeframe is just a WAG..

The previous info I saw was that KY, UT, TX offices would reopen around June 1. Sounds like they either delayed that again or only some departments returned.

The previous info I saw was that KY, UT, TX offices would reopen around June 1. Sounds like they either delayed that again or only some departments returned.

If the TX office did open it should be shutting down shortly.

:eek: I mailed mine March 7 and am VERY glad I listened to my brother the retired tax accountant and e-filed on May 19 even though the IRS says not to if you filed by mail.

Received, accepted, but still no refund. I check every day on-line. Getting tired of this.

If the TX office did open it should be shutting down shortly.

Yeah, things are getting crazier by day, isn't it?

My electronic filing on April 3rd (Mine was submitted on April 1st and that's when they acknowledged) just came through with a refund on July 1st, but mine is federal only.

Last edited:
Oh! I've just realized that they paid $2,774.78 when the refund was only supposed to be $2,748, so I received $26.78 extra. Do you think this is earned interest from April 15 to July 1st?

Oh! I've just realized that they paid $2,774.78 when the refund was only supposed to be $2,748, so I received $26.78 extra. Do you think this is earned interest from April 15 to July 1st?

Don't spend it all in one place....

If it is interest, and if it is at 5%, then based on the $2748 that represents about 71 days worth of interest. That works backward to April 21st. Maybe they don't pay interest on weekends, or I did the math wrong, or some of it was at 3% (I saw somewhere they changed rates at some point).

Anyway, if it is interest apparently it's taxable.

If it is interest, and if it is at 5%, then based on the $2748 that represents about 71 days worth of interest. That works backward to April 21st. Maybe they don't pay interest on weekends, or I did the math wrong, or some of it was at 3% (I saw somewhere they changed rates at some point).

Anyway, if it is interest apparently it's taxable.

:2funny:

That is 71 days of interest at 5% annually compounded daily, so if they processed the refund the Friday before you received it, that sounds right. It is taxable, and you'll get a 1099 next year.

That is 71 days of interest at 5% annually compounded daily, so if they processed the refund the Friday before you received it, that sounds right. It is taxable, and you'll get a 1099 next year.

Thank you, cathy63!

I should consider myself lucky that I got a refund sooner than many of you...

CPA electronically filed in late March. Fed refund $16K.

Website kept saying "processing" until recently, when it said "Your return has been amended and you refund has been changed to $0. A letter confirming this will be mailed June 15."

No letter has yet arrived and the CPA said she can't do anything without the letter. FWIW, she said she reviewed the return and found no reason for any change. I'm in for a long hold on the help line, I guess.

So frustrating!

CPA electronically filed in late March. Fed refund $16K.

Website kept saying "processing" until recently, when it said "Your return has been amended and you refund has been changed to $0. A letter confirming this will be mailed June 15."

No letter has yet arrived and the CPA said she can't do anything without the letter. FWIW, she said she reviewed the return and found no reason for any change. I'm in for a long hold on the help line, I guess.

So frustrating!
Yikes!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom