Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone's tax software correctly dealing with ACA tax credits yet?
Old 03-21-2021, 03:03 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone's tax software correctly dealing with ACA tax credits yet?

I am doing our taxes and using H&R Block software and even after updating it is putting in $10,500 owed for repayment of advance premium tax credit on our ACA policy.

I am not sure how to make it subtract that out. I am assuming they have just not updated the software yet to delete the repayment requirement for 2020 (special case of the relief law signed March 11).

I guess the right thing to do is wait to file? I had made enough estimated tax payments to cover this so would be getting a quite large refund if the software removes the $10,500 figure. Are any of the other software packages working correctly on this yet?
Fermion is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2021, 03:33 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The latest I have heard is that the IRS has not determined how to address this tax law change yet. The IRS needs to announce how they're going to handle it before the tax software folks can implement the changes. So I think that the tax software folks are in a holding pattern at the moment.

The IRS probably prefers that you wait, but it's up to you to decide whether to do so or not, based on the totality of your tax situation. You certainly *can* file now if you want to. The IRS clearly will have to make appropriate accommodations for people in your shoes, but whether this takes the form of an automatic refund or an amended return is still TBD.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 03:57 PM   #3

From what I read it will be after April 1st
FANOFJESUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:44 AM   #4

Check the "Health insurance through an employer" box instead until the software is updated?
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Check the "Health insurance through an employer" box instead until the software is updated?
I mean, is it ok to file like that? Do we know 100% sure that the IRS does not require you to use the form 1095 or whatever it was for marketplace insurance?
Old 03-24-2021, 11:06 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I mean, is it ok to file like that? Do we know 100% sure that the IRS does not require you to use the form 1095 or whatever it was for marketplace insurance?
It is not OK. It's never a good idea to lie on a tax form in order to "make the numbers work".

If you did check that box, then you'd probably make the problem worse, because you then probably would not be entitled to any premium tax credit, and your repayment amount would probably be greater than the $10,500 number - it would be the total of all of your APTC (so whatever was on your Form 1095-A line 33C).

And yes, the IRS requires you to enter the information from Form 1095-A on your tax return (it'll end up on Form 8962). It is not optional, and since the 1095-A information is sent from your health insurance company to the IRS and they have computer matching, you'll probably get an unpleasant letter from the IRS at some point if you try omitting the information.

As I previously mentioned, the IRS has not yet determined how taxpayers should properly address this new provision in the law.

Your good choices include (a) waiting for the IRS to announce how to handle it (should be Real Soon Now), or (b) filing with the APTC repayment on there as it is now and then amending your return or receiving your automatic refund once the IRS addresses the topic.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:09 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Following this as I can't get a straight answer and just get referred back to the unemployment change which is very frustrating as that is not my issue.

I realized this changes not just my refund this year but also what my estimated tax calculation for next year will be, would be nice not to have to cut that bigger check.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 01:46 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

This looks like a likely place to see when IRS has updated instructions:

https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-...dit-the-basics

"Check Back for Updates to this Page
We’re reviewing the tax provisions of the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, signed into law on March 11, 2021. Taxpayers who filed a 2020 tax return and reported an excess advance premium tax credit repayment on Line 29 of Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit, should not file an amended tax return only to get a refund of this amount. The IRS will provide more details soon. For the latest updates, check IRS.gov/coronavirus."
Old 03-26-2021, 07:47 PM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets

Just this morning I opened Turbotax (I have Premiere, Desktop version) and it updated automatically, and FINALLY has the UI fix. The $10200 was deducted from my total unemployment income, and this can be seen on on line 8 of schedule 1. Hooray! Apparently the online version was fixed a few days earlier.
caprica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:23 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprica View Post
Just this morning I opened Turbotax (I have Premiere, Desktop version) and it updated automatically, and FINALLY has the UI fix. The $10200 was deducted from my total unemployment income, and this can be seen on on line 8 of schedule 1. Hooray! Apparently the online version was fixed a few days earlier.
Nice.

Two things:

First, this thread is mostly about the APTC repayment issue, which is a different issue from the unemployment income issue you're referring to.

Second, the states may or may not treat the $10,200 as taxable at the state level. My state has chosen to continue to treat it as taxable, so for residents of my state they must add it back on their state return.

Check with your state taxing authority to see how to handle both the UI and the APTC repayment.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:52 AM   #11

My H&R Block tax software just updated and still no change to the ACA subsidy repayment for tax year 2020.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:02 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

TurboTax had an update when I opened it today. Sadly it wasn’t for the ACA correction. Maybe next time.
COHgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 11:32 PM   #13

Credit Karma is updated. Totally free Fed and State. Have used for last three years.
chumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumped View Post
Credit Karma is updated. Totally free Fed and State. Have used for last three years.
How did they update their software to handle the APTC change? The IRS hasn't made any announcement about how to implement it yet, so I assume they just decided to force zeroes onto lines 28 and 29 of form 8962 so that the e-files would still go through. I wonder what's going to happen to those returns if the IRS eventually says they're modifying Schedule 2 and want everyone to use that instead.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 07:25 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
How did they update their software to handle the APTC change? The IRS hasn't made any announcement about how to implement it yet, so I assume they just decided to force zeroes onto lines 28 and 29 of form 8962 so that the e-files would still go through. I wonder what's going to happen to those returns if the IRS eventually says they're modifying Schedule 2 and want everyone to use that instead.
I just did a test return in Credit Karma. They don't do anything about the APTC repayment and basically ignore ARPA. There are non-zero entries on lines 28 and 29 of Form 8962. (I'm not surprised.)
Old 04-03-2021, 08:02 PM   #16

My bad. Was confused with the unemployment adjustment.
chumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 08:04 AM   #17

Just updated my H&R block deluxe tax software this morning and presto! refund went up by $11,000!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tax.jpg (99.3 KB, 43 views)
Old 04-08-2021, 10:15 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Turbo Tax has been updated!! Yay!! We’re getting a refund!! :::happy dance::::
COHgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:36 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

My TurboTax updated as well so we get a small refund versus paying a whole bunch.

Be careful though - when I look at the details it acted as if we had paid the entire ACA premium ourselves and had high medical expenses. (DH is self employed part time) I noticed this when comparing our data to national averages provided down on the list of forms while in the form format.

However, we still did not exceed the standard deduction so the results are fine for us.
GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:00 AM   #20

Does anyone know how the online tax filing software handles this? My kids file using online (probably Turbo Tax but maybe H&R Block).

They have been holding off filing because of this whole ACA repayment of advance tax credits thing. If none of that has to be paid back then they will apparently both get good refunds. They are eager to file to get their refunds but don't want to file until the online software handles the new law.

Does anyone know if it is now up to date for those using the online software? They have simple returns and use the free version.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote