Attitudes Toward Annuities Affected by How They Are Presented

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree.....but if 40% of your income is from annuities, and 85% of all VAs are sold with the "guaranteed income riders", that might be a problem.........in the future...........:eek:

Or maybe they just sell a lot of fixed annuities and (ech) EIAs. I dunno and would have to do some digging to find out.

I agree.....but if 40% of your income is from annuities, and 85% of all VAs are sold with the "guaranteed income riders", that might be a problem.........in the future...........:eek:

Thus far, Hartford hasn't done that much in the guaranteed riders. In fact, they are probably the stingiest with features offered. They may have quite a bit currently in VA's, but most of that was just Principal First contracts that offered very little in guarantee, and in fact, didn't even guarantee all your money back. They are one of the few I have to respect for staying conservative, and yet hate because they aren't competitive currently.

I bet that I could ask "Do you think Bear Stern will blow up" last year and you would have said "no"...

But then again... JPM bought it all and guaranteed everything so in a sense as far as clients.... it did not blow up...

I agree with you here. The greatest risk I see are the insurance companies extending their benefits too far. However, keep in mind, you can always pull your money out. You're not annuitized and therefore the money still belongs to you and while you may lose a guarantee, at least you can always get your principal back.

I agree with you here. The greatest risk I see are the insurance companies extending their benefits too far. However, keep in mind, you can always pull your money out. You're not annuitized and therefore the money still belongs to you and while you may lose a guarantee, at least you can always get your principal back.

Well, that applies only if the surrender schedule is gone..........

Or maybe they just sell a lot of fixed annuities and (ech) EIAs. I dunno and would have to do some digging to find out.

Hancock scares me a little. They are the number ONE writer of VUL in the country.............:eek:

Well, that applies only if the surrender schedule is gone..........

No, you can always take your money out. I didn't say anything about costs or surrender charges. Your money isn't held against your will. If I feared my money was with a company about to go belly up, I'd definitely be paying the surrender charge to get it away from there.

No, you can always take your money out. I didn't say anything about costs or surrender charges. Your money isn't held against your will. If I feared my money was with a company about to go belly up, I'd definitely be paying the surrender charge to get it away from there.

Well, you DID say you could get your PRINCIPAL back, which is NOT always the case..........a little nitpicky, I know..............;)

I gotta get me one of these annuities, I figure if the expenses are under 4% (SWR) my money will last forever.

Well, it's gonna be Art or FD. I want to keep it in the family.

One last question though, if the ins company is taking the 4% SWR what's left for me?

Last edited:
Well, it's gonna be Art or FD. I want to keep it in the family.

One last question though, if the ins company is taking the 4% SWR what's left for me?

Your 6% guaranteed income. Now what have you gained from your mutual funds this past year?

So now there's 3 things guaranteed in life,

1 death
2 taxes
3 annuity income

They'll have to change that phrase to add the annuity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom