Available graphs, info on brokerages

Texas Proud

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
OK, I have been wanting to move some of my money out of Vanguard and was looking for the best place to move... it seems that FIDO is winning...

BUT, I cannot find anywhere that they show me the graphs etc. that Vanguard shows... in the personal performance section FYI.

I can see what my gains/losses were in total or by month for 10 years, 5, 3 etc...

I can see my balances on a graph for the same (FIDO seems to have this but not that well IMO)

Am I missing where it is or do they not have anything like this?

Just looked at my Merrill Edge and they have a nice graph function showing gains etc.

Fido’s website is light years ahead of VG, but VG displays a simple graph of account performance going back 10 yrs and I can’t find anything comparable at FIDO no matter how many levels I drill down. We had a thread here that revealed some additional performance metrics were available on the account features tab if you had $XXX with them. I do get something similar on the net benefits workplace savings pages.

Schwab gives me access to Vanguard Funds (including index admiral shares) without paying their usual transaction fee. You do have to ask for this promo and have a certain asset level. And IMHO, nobody has a better website than Schwab

Fido’s website is light years ahead of VG...

I dunno... I have both... Vanguard forever and Fido for about 20 months... and I don't get it.

I'm not even sure if Fido's website is better... perhaps a tad but certainly not light years.

I dunno... I have both... Vanguard forever and Fido for about 20 months... and I don't get it.

I'm not even sure if Fido's website is better... perhaps a tad but certainly not light years.

I kinda agree... not light years... and FIDO has restricted me from buying some preferred shares...

BUT, Vanguard just does not seem to care about keeping my basis info on my IRAs correct... I have even been told that they know there are problems but they have no plans on fixing it... that 'it does not matter'...

Might have to open a Schwab account and see what they have...

On the FIDO site, did you look at Portfolio > Performance > All Accounts > Show Details? Shows a graph and chart for the selected timeframe.

OK, I have been wanting to move some of my money out of Vanguard and was looking for the best place to move... it seems that FIDO is winning...

BUT, I cannot find anywhere that they show me the graphs etc. that Vanguard shows... in the personal performance section FYI.

I can see what my gains/losses were in total or by month for 10 years, 5, 3 etc...

I can see my balances on a graph for the same (FIDO seems to have this but not that well IMO)

Am I missing where it is or do they not have anything like this?

Texas Proud, I'm confused. If you haven't moved any money to Fido how would you see any grafts/charts? I have 2 accounts with Fido, a rollover IRA (over 1 million) and a 401K (around 400k) and can see charts/grafts for both accounts showing gains/losses monthly, quarterly & yearly for year to date, 1 yr., 3 yrs., 5 yrs., 10 yrs., and life of data under the Performance tab. Below the chart is a button to show details for the same time frames. Maybe I'm not understanding your question. Does Fido show all the charts if you don't have an account yet?
edit: Saw in another post that you were restricted from buying preferred shares so you do have an account. So not sure why you can't view those grafts/charts in the Performance tab.

Last edited:
If an investor really wants the Vanguard performance view, then they'd need to stick with Vanguard. It is simple to add and subtract accounts on that chart, but there is one shortcoming, that it doesn't have a YTD button. Maybe they've added that recently? Edit: I see a YTD drop down now. Good job Vanguard.

In Schwab account, I can segment my accounts into different saved configurations, and find much more information on the 30-page PDF it spits out in seconds:
Portfolio Performance
Account Performance
Portfolio Risk and Return
Model Comparison
Asset Class Performance
Holdings By Investor​

It takes some exploring and learning to use Schwab if you want more than the default performance view, so it may not be right for everyone.

Last edited:
On the FIDO site, did you look at Portfolio > Performance > All Accounts > Show Details? Shows a graph and chart for the selected timeframe.

My account does not have a performance tab...

Summary, positions, balances, activities, planning, analysis, cash, stmts and features...

Maybe I have to be there long enough to get it...

Texas Proud, I'm confused. If you haven't moved any money to Fido how would you see any grafts/charts? I have 2 accounts with Fido, a rollover IRA (over 1 million) and a 401K (around 400k) and can see charts/grafts for both accounts showing gains/losses monthly, quarterly & yearly for year to date, 1 yr., 3 yrs., 5 yrs., 10 yrs., and life of data under the Performance tab. Below the chart is a button to show details for the same time frames. Maybe I'm not understanding your question. Does Fido show all the charts if you don't have an account yet?
edit: Saw in another post that you were restricted from buying preferred shares so you do have an account. So not sure why you can't view those grafts/charts in the Performance tab.

My mom had assets there and we just moved her holdings over... opened an estate account and one for my kid... also opened up a small account for me individually to try the site out.. so now have 4 accounts there.

Also opened one at Merrill Edge to check them out as they were rated high plus had a bonus to their credit card if you had enough assets...

Will now go for Schwab....

All are 'small' for me... Schwab will be the smallest at maybe $5k...

My account does not have a performance tab...

Summary, positions, balances, activities, planning, analysis, cash, stmts and features...

Maybe I have to be there long enough to get it...

A-a-a-a, the missing "Performance tab", we talked about that in another thread. Don't think it was ever resolved. Some said they called their Fido rep and were told you needed a certain amount of money and another said it was because they hadn't been there long enough for a history.

https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...d-fido-index-comparison-aa-results-94882.html

I wonder if the difference in whether you get the Fidelity graphs or not is whether you are at a certain level? Have you called and asked Fidelity if they have this for your account? I can choose YTD, 1,3,5,10 year or Life of available data. Data is graphed on either quarterly or monthly basis. The ins and outs of various accounts, 401K conversions, cashed in whole life Insurance and pensions etc, obfuscates any real value in tracking the data as a big block overall. For historical data, I can refer to my spreadsheets if desired which I track annually at EOY. YMMV.

Frankly, what I did 5, 10 or more years ago has no relevance to any decisions I may make today.

A-a-a-a, the missing "Performance tab", we talked about that in another thread. Don't think it was ever resolved. Some said they called their Fido rep and were told you needed a certain amount of money and another said it was because they hadn't been there long enough for a history.

https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...d-fido-index-comparison-aa-results-94882.html

Yes. That thread has all the details wrt who qualifies for the performance tab. They did promise to add the tab for me even though I was below the minimum (see quote below) but they never did and I did not pursue.

I got another response from Fido to my request and they will waive the minimum balance requirement for me. I will get the "Performance" feature added to my account summary page starting Jan 1st. They warned that it will not calculate performance for balances prior to that date so it will take a long while before the data becomes useful.

Yes. That thread has all the details wrt who qualifies for the performance tab. They did promise to add the tab for me even though I was below the minimum (see quote below) but they never did and I did not pursue.

Actually that thread does not have all the details. I think you came back with 3 different answers from your Fido rep:
1) managed account but not all of us have managed accounts
2) minimum required balance but no one posted what the minimum balance was
3) length of time that the account has been open but no one stated what that length of time was.:popcorn:

Most people probably use an app anymore. Websites are so 1990s:LOL:

Frankly I can do without the modern flash websites, they take a long time to load...for me speed and a simple interface is more important. But I don’t like modern Windows interface either, old Windows XP works better, maybe not modern, but better.

Performance stats can be elusive. If you can't get them for whatever reason, your AA can be used with actual or proxy funds to generate a picture of growth. This isn't precise enough for some, I'll admit.

Actually that thread does not have all the details. I think you came back with 3 different answers from your Fido rep:
1) managed account but not all of us have managed accounts
2) minimum required balance but no one posted what the minimum balance was
3) length of time that the account has been open but no one stated what that length of time was.:popcorn:
Well, it's definitely not #1, as I have the Performance tab (that I never noticed before!), but I do not have them managing any of my accounts. I am a Premium Services customer as of 2016 or so, and I've had my 401(k) there for 20+ years, so I can't say whether it's 2 or 3, but I'd guess #2, and it's usually around $1M for Premium Services.

Most people probably use an app anymore. Websites are so 1990s:LOL:

Frankly I can do without the modern flash websites, they take a long time to load...for me speed and a simple interface is more important. But I don’t like modern Windows interface either, old Windows XP works better, maybe not modern, but better.

I do not want to have another app or website to go look at to see what I have in my returns...

I used to keep track annually but stopped that many years ago...

As mentioned by someone the historical information does not affect what I do today, BUT I still like to look at it and see if I had done something good or bad...

I like to see what my total income is by month... and with Vanguard I can for the past 10 years...

I will get with Fidelity to find out, from the attached previous thread it looks like it is either a year or a balance issue or maybe both...

As mentioned by someone the historical information does not affect what I do today, BUT I still like to look at it and see if I had done something good or bad...
To what end, really? Looking at one's historical return will either give one a great feeling or a defeating one. It is just like racing and gunfighting. There will always be someone who will do better and someone who will do worse than you. What they did last week or last year has nothing to do with what they will do this week or next year. Unless they are the ones who like looking at trophies and like to brag.

To be honest, I have a spreadsheet that goes back >20 years. I don't use any of that info at all. It just sits there.

To what end, really? Looking at one's historical return will either give one a great feeling or a defeating one. It is just like racing and gunfighting. There will always be someone who will do better and someone who will do worse than you. What they did last week or last year has nothing to do with what they will do this week or next year. Unless they are the ones who like looking at trophies and like to brag.

To be honest, I have a spreadsheet that goes back >20 years. I don't use any of that info at all. It just sits there.

Then why do spreadsheets? Really, that requires work. I gave up on those a number of years back.

I just want to see my gain/losses by month provided to me by my brokerage... no work at all.

Having it on a graph is interesting information... and it is information that they HAVE so should be very easy to display...

Back
Top Bottom