Awkward Wealth

When I activated in my college fraternity, I was "awarded," and drank, a bottle of Swiss-Up wine. Right up there with Ripple. OMG, horrible. Swiss-Up: ****ed me up, then I threw up....

Am I the only one that drank cheap beer in college? Genny Cream and Little Kings were preferred. They ruined Little Kings when I tried it again a couple years ago, and I have not been willing to see if the same was done to Genny Cream. I just make my own cream ale now.

Am I the only one that drank cheap beer in college? Genny Cream and Little Kings were preferred. They ruined Little Kings when I tried it again a couple years ago, and I have not been willing to see if the same was done to Genny Cream. I just make my own cream ale now.

Genny is still good IMHO. Course at $10.00 a 6 pack I don't get much. I know it's still cheap in the NE, here it's an import.

Nah...we used to drink Blatz beer in the mornings after a good party. It went better with scrambled eggs and hot sauce.;)

Now we know how to become FI and RE. Just drink a lot of cheap booze in your youth and everything will turn out all right in the end. :dance:

D! :rant:

Sent by pounding on a keyboard. :mad:

PS. E-Z! 0-9! :cool:

What, after I went to all the trouble of memorizing the first three letters of the alphabet, you're telling me I got it wrong? :LOL:

What, after I went to all the trouble of memorizing the first three letters of the alphabet, you're telling me I got it wrong? :LOL:

~!@#$%^&*()_+-=[]{}\|;:'"<>,./?

:dance:

Fish eggs? They are over there, next to the white wine with bubbles and a cork from somewhere in Europe.

I drank cheap beer in college - and vowed to never drink bad beer again at my graduation. I slipped up once after that - a friend decided to order a pitcher of "Old Milwaukee" at the Up and Up pub in Bellingham for nostalgia's sake. I remembered why I hated it so bad - you get the hangover (headache) before you get a buzz.... Nasty stuff.
(And there were plenty of good beers on tap, so it was doubly sad to be drinking bad beer.)

It gives you incentive to be able to buy the better stuff later in life. :D

I recall reading about school trips where they took students into jail to see how they would live if they did bad things.

They should also take the students to the city to see bums lying on sewer grates, then give the students Night Train and tell them what happen if they drink the stuff. :cool:

Oh, never mind. HS students know all about bum wines already. Silly me. :facepalm:

Last edited:
Pardon me, please. Does anyone know where the caviar is ?

No caviar, but we have been feeding each other baloney. And we wash it down with bum wines.

In case you think we are straying off topic, I would like to point out that with a modest taste like the above, it is easier to achieve FIRE. And even if you can spend more, heck the less you spend, the more you have to count when the market closes.

So, you can have wealth, but it is certainly awkward if your neighbor or ex-worker sees you buying this stuff, and blurts out "So, this is how you could afford to retire!".

I recall reading about school trips where they took students into jail to see how they would live if they did bad things.

They should also take the students to the city to see bums lying on sewer grates, then give the students Night Train and tell them what happen if they drink the stuff. :cool:

Often it goes over their heads anyway. One story goes that the instructor was trying to teach the kids that alcohol was bad for them and put a worm in a jar of alcohol. The worm promptly dies.

"What does this teach you?" he asks.

Kid in the back raises his hand and says "If you drink alcohol you'll never have worms."

Genny is still good IMHO. Course at $10.00 a 6 pack I don't get much. I know it's still cheap in the NE, here it's an import.

Genny Cream is still a fine beverage. 24 oz. cans for $0.99 on sale last I saw, but it takes the draft to really ruin a dorm carpet.

The brewery is now owned by a Costa Rican company now. Guess America can't run breweries anymore.😢

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Never heard of Genny Cream, nor seen it, but of course it might be because I did not know to look for it. A Web site rates it better than some popular beer like Michelob.

No caviar, but we have been feeding each other baloney. And we wash it down with bum wines.

In case you think we are straying off topic, I would like to point out that with a modest taste like the above, it is easier to achieve FIRE. And even if you can spend more, heck the less you spend, the more you have to count when the market closes.

So, you can have wealth, but it is certainly awkward if your neighbor or ex-worker sees you buying this stuff, and blurts out "So, this is how you could afford to retire!".

I think I will indulge in bum wine with tube steaks next weekend. Maybe I'll even throw a party and invite my friends and neighbors. Since they already know that I am frugal I am I can only hope that they don't make comments like the above yet again ! :blush: BTDT !

I remember going to a party celebrating the opening of a recording studio near Winston, NC one time.

Someone brought some authentic moonshine. Holy cow, that stuff makes you bark like a dog!

Yep, had many, many Little Kings, but my vote for really bad beer is a tie between Carling's Black Label and Meisterbrau...

Yep, had many, many Little Kings, but my vote for really bad beer is a tie between Carling's Black Label and Meisterbrau...

I take it you haven't had Blatz, Schlitz, or Ballentine...:LOL:

Ballantine-Beer-Bottles-Paper-Label-P-Ballantine--Sons-Plant-3_56796-1.jpg

Often it goes over their heads anyway. One story goes that the instructor was trying to teach the kids that alcohol was bad for them and put a worm in a jar of alcohol. The worm promptly dies.

"What does this teach you?" he asks.

Kid in the back raises his hand and says "If you drink alcohol you'll never have worms."

Or the worm may be trashing about before it dies, and kids may think "Wow, look at that worm boogieing in ectasy. It may be all worth it, even if death is the result."

The way people talk about some of the beverages here, it seems to me bottling the products doubles the cost of producing them. :p

Thus bringing us back nicely to the thread topic. Gator Spit probably promotes awkward behavior, but it's cheap, so it also promotes wealth!

Amethyst

Probably ales awkward after a few drinks, as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

All this talk of beverages that posters used to drink, and I was not able to contribute one, until I remember this one: Riunite.

"Riunite on ice ... That's nice!". Does that ring a bell?

It's not at all a bum wine, though inexpensive, and imported from Italy. We drank it quite a bit in the early 80s, but I do not remember the last time we bought a bottle.

Just now looked it up on the Web. Riunite was the top selling brand in the 70s and early 80s, but lost popularity when the American wine drinker got more sophisticated. I remember not seeing so much wine selection in the supermarkets back then as now.

I vaguely remember Riunite as being sweet, so that even my wife could drink it. People who like sweet cocktails most likely like this wine too, so I do not understand why it faded into oblivion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom