Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-02-2020, 06:41 PM   #581
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wow - just noticed that Synchrony Bank dropped their High Yield Savings rate from 1.05% to 0.75% on July 31st.

That's a huge move!
I'll bet Ally follows.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2020, 07:18 PM   #582
Full time employment: Posting here.

Boy am I P.O.'d. I got in on the Citibank $400 for $15K deal last December, waited the 4 months then pulled the $15400 and closed my account.

I get a Robocall yesterday about my Citi account. Turns out they say the account was never closed and they have been charging me fees and now overdraft charges (because the fees gave rise to a negative balance) every month.

I'm thinking I should call the Better Business Bureau. For me this is just an annoyance, but imagine someone living paycheck to paycheck getting screwed out of $100 this way.

Needless to say I won't be doing business with Citi again, and hope I can drive as many potential customers away as possible.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:04 PM   #583
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Discover Bank dropped from 1.01% to 0.95%.

Capital One still hanging in there at 1.0%

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:09 AM   #584
Recycles dryer sheets

FWIW, I had 2 CDs mature recently: opted for 2 GNMAs (not funds) paying over 2% for expected 3 - 4 years

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:33 AM   #585
Give me a forum ...

I recently opened an account at Marcus. While reading around here, I thought the name was a joke, didn't know what you all were talking about.

Now with a few weeks under my belt, I'm happy with it.

I decided to park some cash here instead of any MM funds at Vanguard. Looking for some FDIC assurance.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:06 AM   #586
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I recently opened an account at Marcus. While reading around here, I thought the name was a joke, didn't know what you all were talking about.

Now with a few weeks under my belt, I'm happy with it.

I decided to park some cash here instead of any MM funds at Vanguard. Looking for some FDIC assurance.
FDIC protects you if the bank/trustee goes under or tries to steal your funds. It provides "government backing" of a product (CDs and savings accounts) which without it provides no such insurance/backing.

Money market funds at the major fund families/brokerages are protected by SIPC insurance should the broker/trustee go under or attempt to steal your funds. Money market funds, are predominantly comprised of government backed securities. So, in this case, the fact that the underlying product is backed by the government in itself provides a portion of what FDIC does.

There are reasons why one might choose a savings account or CDs over money market funds. However, FDIC insurance is not one which should carry much weight. Money market funds have as good (if not better) protections. SIPC limits are generally $500,000 per investor account, where FDIC tops out at $250,000. Additionally, the major brokerages carry excess insurance which provides coverage above SIPC limits, many times to $1 million or more.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:14 AM   #587
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
FDIC protects you if the bank/trustee goes under or tries to steal your funds. It provides "government backing" of a product (CDs and savings accounts) which without it provides no such insurance/backing.

Money market funds at the major fund families/brokerages are protected by SIPC insurance should the broker/trustee go under or attempt to steal your funds. Money market funds, are predominantly comprised of government backed securities. So, in this case, the fact that the underlying product is backed by the government in itself provides a portion of what FDIC does.

There are reasons why one might choose a savings account or CDs over money market funds. However, FDIC insurance is not one which should carry much weight. Money market funds have as good (if not better) protections. SIPC limits are generally $500,000 per investor account, where FDIC tops out at $250,000. Additionally, the major brokerages carry excess insurance which provides coverage above SIPC limits, many times to $1 million or more.
Inquiring on one aspect of your statement.
Not currently as to yield but in the recent past, hasn't many of the higher yielding MM accounts at the brokerages invested in other securities at least partially such as Commercial Paper, etc?
Old 08-03-2020, 05:27 AM   #588
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Inquiring on one aspect of your statement.
Not currently as to yield but in the recent past, hasn't many of the higher yielding MM accounts at the brokerages invested in other securities at least partially such as Commercial Paper, etc?
Of course - money market funds do routinely include commercial paper and other very high quality things. However, the bulk is government-backed. I don't think anything I stated contradicts that.

Quote:
Money market funds, are predominantly comprised of government backed securities.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:59 PM   #589
Give me a forum ...

Marcus currently offers hi yield savings bonus of 0.10% and special 8 mo no penalty CD @ 1.1 % for AARP members.

https://www.depositaccounts.com/bank...-sachs/offers/
Old 08-03-2020, 03:22 PM   #590
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Marcus currently offers hi yield savings bonus of 0.10% and special 8 mo no penalty CD @ 1.1 % for AARP members.

https://www.depositaccounts.com/bank...-sachs/offers/
Nowadays that's a good rate for that product.
Old 08-03-2020, 03:49 PM   #591
Give me a forum ...

Well with Marcus, the FDIC thing was only part of it. The 1.05% was the other part. Better than the MM's at Vanguard.

Heck of a time to be celebrating 1%.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:46 PM   #592
Give me a forum ...

I already have AARP and Marcus Online Savings but couldn't find any info on this promo. I looked back at the Deposit Accounts announcement and there is a link to an AARP sign up page. I put in my AARP member number and presto chango my rate rose to 1.15. I expect it will drop in the future, but this is my main accumulation account for major expenses so I'll take whatever I can get. I don't need the no penalty CD at present time.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:59 AM   #593
Give me a forum ...

And Marcus dropped to .8% today. The .10% bonus lasts for 2 yrs.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:27 AM   #594
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
And Marcus dropped to .8% today. The .10% bonus lasts for 2 yrs.
Yep. Just got the email. Oh well. I'm primarily transferring from PNC Bank which has a terrible MM rate of 0.02%

How long before Ally drops their savings rate?

Old 08-04-2020, 09:02 AM   #595
Give me a forum ...

Sheesh - saw the rate drop by Marcus and was just bragging to the gal yesterday about my keeping our accounts open with them in anticipation of future offers and talking up the new AARP rate bump and their 1.05% rate. Didn't move money though. On the good side, figured out that I could have the interest on our 3% GTE CD moved to a GTE savings account automatically each month, thence on to our linked Ally account paying decent interest.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #596
Give me a forum ...

Considering the rate drop at Marcus ( I earned 1.1 % for one day), I decided I DO have a use for the 1.1% no penalty 8 mo CD. Iím going to use it for some fixed expenses instead of using the online savings. They havenít changed the 8 mo CD rate yet.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:36 PM   #597
Recycles dryer sheets

Viobank's High Yield Savings just dropped to 1.04% (from 1.11%), but seems to be staying near the front of the pack.

FIREd at 59.5 on 2019-01-18
camfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 11:29 PM   #598
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Sheesh - saw the rate drop by Marcus and was just bragging to the gal yesterday about my keeping our accounts open with them in anticipation of future offers and talking up the new AARP rate bump and their 1.05% rate. Didn't move money though. On the good side, figured out that I could have the interest on our 3% GTE CD moved to a GTE savings account automatically each month, thence on to our linked Ally account paying decent interest.
Can you explain the GTE part? I have a GTE add on CD. Am I able to have the interest go into a GTE savings account and then transfer to Ally? Does it not need to stay in the CD account? Is it not compounding?
Debinnov a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:40 AM   #599
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
where FDIC tops out at $250,000.
It is important to remember that it is $250,000 per account holder. So if the account is a joint account for husband and wife the FDIC coverage is $500,000.00. If you add your child as a third account holder then FDIC coverage is $750,000 and so on.
phil1ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:04 AM   #600
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debinnov a View Post
Can you explain the GTE part? I have a GTE add on CD. Am I able to have the interest go into a GTE savings account and then transfer to Ally? Does it not need to stay in the CD account? Is it not compounding?
CDs usually offer the option to transfer interest to another account which accommodates those who wish income from their CDs. In this case, youíre right, there is no compounding.