Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals Thread 2020 - Please post updates here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reported them to the FTC, but a lot of good that'll likely do.

It seemed too good to be true to me. A similarly named institution appears on deposit accounts, Asian Pacific National Bank, which made me think It had at least some legitimacy.

Oh well live and learn.

Jump back to Post #200 in this thread and read forward.

Definitely a scam. Even the design is similar to the HSBC and previously Synovus sites they used.
Harley and I were close to being scammed on the previous scams, but ended up fine.

[Mod note and request]

This isn't the first time, so please, when a scam is identified, use the Report function so we mods can do some cleanup.

We'd really rather remove the fraudulent links than leave them out here for any quick-readers to get caught without seeing the subsequent posts.

Please don't just go "oh it's a scam" and move on. Just because you see the trap doesn't mean the next person will.

Thanks

Mod: Got it; will keep in mind for future reference.

Reminds me of a time about ten years ago when a junior partner in my old f*rm was asking for authorization to wire a six-figure sum abroad to some sort of escrow agent he wanted to use for a deal involving a firm client. (The escrow fees were cheap.) He asked a partner to authorize the wire, and the partner did some quick due diligence first. It was promptly determined to be a scam.

That junior partner's reputation has never recovered.

Always be paranoid of every link, every request for info, and every incredible offer.

Now is a time when being active rather than camping on top of a falling interest account can be worthwhile. Look for savings/checking/credit card sign up bonus offers. Gal and I are taking advantage of a BofA business checking offer (bank invitation only on this one) that will pay a bonus equal to 3% /annum for the next 5 months. This as we finish a 1st Federal required time in account that earned a bit better than that for the last six months. Sure it's extra effort, but what do you do all day? Beats making 0.6%
I have that offer on my profile page every time I go to my BOA portal. $750, right. But don't you need to own a business or subS to open? And what are the requirements for deposits, auto ach's etc?

Last edited:
I moved some cash from Cap1 to CFG Bank where I snagged a good CD earlier this year. Their high yield MM account is at . 9% compared to . 65% at Cap1.

I know CFG may drop it again but it seemed worth some clicks. Plus to punish Cap1.

I have that offer on my profile page every time I go to my BOA portal. $750, right. But don't you need to own a business or subS to open? And what are the requirements for deposits, auto ach's etc?

We have the rentals and file taxes separately, so will be getting two accounts. I did the first application online, using my SS# as the business tax number. It requires various deposited amounts for different bonus levels, and monthly fees can be avoided. Need to make 5 ACHs or auto pays or - my choice - 5 debit card transactions in a limited time frame. Needs to be funded in about two weeks.

I got hung up on them wanting me to fax them a business license, which isn't required for rentals in Oregon. Also, they sent stuff out requiring documents that I didn't need to send according to the phone rep. I ended up hand carrying a check to fund the account, which was easiest, though they do have a ten day hold on the check, which I made out for a couple thousand extra to cover any debits or payments made without dipping below $50k.

I moved some cash from Cap1 to CFG Bank where I snagged a good CD earlier this year. Their high yield MM account is at . 9% compared to . 65% at Cap1.

I know CFG may drop it again but it seemed worth some clicks. Plus to punish Cap1.

Thanks. Never heard of this place right in my backyard. Looks like a solid community bank. No IRAs online, though.

I was moving some money around this morning and noticed that my Capital One 360 savings account has silently moved down to 0.65% APR. It really bugs me how they don't send any notifications about these downward moves. .....
FYI, they just lowered their 360 savings to 0.5%. I had put in $100k split between 2 accounts, from my 2% DERI account for 3 months ending 9/30/2020 when they were at 1.4% to get a $900 bonus. So actual bonus would have been about $800, because of lost interest. The day after the deposit, rate dropped to 1%. Between lost interest in the move and them dropping continuously from 1% to .5%, the actual net bonus will be about $650 now, compared to just leaving it where it was. I will be moving it all back to my DERI account which is at least now at 1.75%, on 10/1 and will leave $1 in each account to get my bonus. Like you said, just a few online clicks, but still....

Last edited:
My understanding was that if you didn't meet the criteria of having some sort of direct deposit then the interest rate would drop from 3.5% to 0.5%.

Have you passed the 90 days yet?
I just got off the phone with Navy regarding the requirements for the Easy Start Certificate @3.5%. Due to Covid they have waived the requirements of both the checking account and the direct deposit and you can deposit the entire $3000 limit at account opening. She also mentioned when this 12 month CD term is over the original requirements will be back in place for any new certificate special that they are offering. I gave her my bank info and they will be transferring $3000 from my external bank in the next few days. It's only $105 in interest but every little bit helps. Navy Federal is the best...

Discover Bank has moved down from .80 to .70%.

Hi All, I just met the required 90 day hold time in my CapitalOne360 account to get the $500 bonus, which means I can move all but $1 out of that account and into the next bonus opportunity account...while I wait for the $500 bonus to get deposited from CapitalOne360.

I was looking at current offers and saw this from Citi. From what I can tell: I would open a 'Priority Account Package', transfer >$50k within 30 days of opening, hold >$50k for 60 days, then they deposit the $700 bonus within 90 days of the 60 day marker. It says I can not adjust the package during the 60 day maintenance period. However, it seems you can "downgrade" during the 90 day bonus deposit period if I want to move the money out into another account and avoid the account maintenance fee of $30/month.

Any thoughts/cautions on this...or considerations for other offers out there, which are easy to initiate and manage?

Thanks and hope this helps others too!

Last edited:
Hi All, I just met the required 90 day hold time in my CapitalOne360 account to get the $500 bonus, which means I can move all but $1 out of that account and into the next bonus opportunity account...while I wait for the $500 bonus to get deposited from CapitalOne360.

I was looking at current offers and saw this from Citi. From what I can tell: I would open a 'Priority Account Package', transfer >$50k within 30 days of opening, hold >$50k for 60 days, then they deposit the $700 bonus within 90 days of the 60 day marker. It says I can not adjust the package during the 60 day maintenance period. However, it seems you can "downgrade" during the 90 day bonus deposit period if I want to move the money out into another account and avoid the account maintenance fee of $30/month.

Any thoughts/cautions on this...or considerations for other offers out there, which are easy to initiate and manage?

Thanks and hope this helps others too!

I have no first-hand knowledge of Citi's online savings accounts, but I have read numerous posts on several different forums (including here at e-r.org, I think) that Citi is one of the worst at paying sign-up bonuses in a timely fashion. Many different kinds of problems and issues have been reported. I would advise you to do more research on this offer before taking the plunge.

FYI, they just lowered their 360 savings to 0.5%.

I logged into my Cap One account just now and didn't see any evidence of this. The posted rate is still 0.65%. Maybe they announced the move down to 0.5% but it hasn't happened yet? Where did you see this?

Just to pile on: our Costco card is by Citi and has given no problems, but Citi did manage to make some card/savings bonus adventure notably miserable for me and I believe they managed not to pay the bonus. Notable as that is an extremely rare experience for me. Unhappy customers of that bank (more than a few) spell the bank name substituting SH for the C.

Just to pile on: our Costco card is by Citi and has given no problems, but Citi did manage to make some card/savings bonus adventure notably miserable for me and I believe they managed not to pay the bonus. Notable as that is an extremely rare experience for me. Unhappy customers of that bank (more than a few) spell the bank name substituting SH for the C.

We decided to apply for a Costco Citi card a week ago. It took them a week to approve with only a credit limit of $5,000. Our credit score is ~830.

We decided to apply for a Costco Citi card a week ago. It took them a week to approve with only a credit limit of $5,000. Our credit score is ~830.

After they removed the travel coverage, I only use my Costco Citi card for buying Costco gas, and in the future warrantied items for the warranty extension.

I have a BOA card that pays more than the Costco card for purchases in Costco and everywhere else, that is why I don't use the Costco card in Costco.

Thanks. Never heard of this place right in my backyard. Looks like a solid community bank. No IRAs online, though.

They just dropped to .80%.

That's the way of the world.

I got a pretty good CD there as I said, but that was a while back. I think as these mature they are going back to some ST bind funds.

I have no first-hand knowledge of Citi's online savings accounts, but I have read numerous posts on several different forums (including here at e-r.org, I think) that Citi is one of the worst at paying sign-up bonuses in a timely fashion. Many different kinds of problems and issues have been reported. I would advise you to do more research on this offer before taking the plunge.

Thanks for the tip. I will research a little bit more. As an aside, CapitalOne360 already gave me the bonus that was offered. I think it ended up bing something like 5 days after meeting the required timeframe for the bonus! I was impressed! I'll close that account soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom