Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-03-2024, 06:59 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGoode View Post
I have several CD's maturing mid-February at Ally and I'm hoping the higher rates will stay up for a bit longer.

I did notice Ally is promoting a 14 month CD at 5.25% and it says the promotional rate is valid until 3/20/24. So we'll see...

https://www.ally.com/go/bank/14m-select-cd/
Same here.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2024, 07:17 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

They say the rate could change at any time. The promotional CD is available until 3/20. That doesn’t mean the rate is.
Old 01-03-2024, 08:56 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
They say the rate could change at any time. The promotional CD is available until 3/20. That doesn’t mean the rate is.
Exactly. My Capital One CD just did that. Rate dropped before I was able to renewal my account even though it was a "special" rate for current CD customers.

We've all been here for a year or so watching these rates slowly march upward. Unfortunately the downward trend will much quicker. No surprise to any of us I'm sure.
Drake3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 07:55 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hi, again!

Set up EFT at Fidelity and transferred some funds to NASAFCU - can "see" the funds online with NASAFCU.

What I can't see is a way to move those funds into CDs ... am I missing something? Please don't tell me I have to call them to do this? Aack ...
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:03 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Have you looked at an option “add a new account”? At banks and FCUs CDs are separate accounts.

I don’t have NASAFCU but I have other FCUs.
Old 01-04-2024, 08:10 AM   #26

Got it, thanks ... an additional selection was needed ... not quite as intuitive as I expected. I bought the 5.7% 9 month.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 08:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
Hi, again!

Set up EFT at Fidelity and transferred some funds to NASAFCU - can "see" the funds online with NASAFCU.

What I can't see is a way to move those funds into CDs ... am I missing something? Please don't tell me I have to call them to do this? Aack ...
When I transferred my IRA funds the paperwork included instructions on what CD's I wanted to open. I have not had after tax funds there in a long time though. Just call them, I called yesterday and she set up a new HSA CD for me in less than 5 minutes and e-mailed over a receipt.
Easy peasy.
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 09:16 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

The past few CD’s that matured have been lower rate ones from my early ladder building.

Today, for the first time since this dip in rates started, I purchased a replacement CD that was yielding less than the one that recently matured.

Note. I am not counting an agency bond that was called since it did not mature.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 01:16 PM   #29

I just purchased two CDs. One was a 5.5% 15 month Synchrony Bank CD and the other was a Vanguard brokered secondary market 5.5 year CD at 4.44%.
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 07:36 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

4.44% for 5 yrs sounds pretty good. What is the call provision?
Old 01-06-2024, 05:04 AM   #31

US Senate FCU

36 month
$200,000 Plus Jumbo 5.34% 5.20%
$100,000 -$199,999 5.28% 5.15%
less than $99,999 5.23% 5.10%

180 day penalty for early withdrawal.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 06:57 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
4.44% for 5 yrs sounds pretty good. What is the call provision?
Up until recently, I have only been buying new and noncallable CDs mostly at 5 years. However, in my IRA accounts in Vanguard and Fidelity today the best rate I could find for new/noncallable 5 year CDs is 3.9%.

So, I decided to look into secondary market callable CDs that have a yield to maturity at 4.4% or above and a coupon at 3.25% or below. The logic being that they would be unlikely to be called with a lower coupon. So, while they are immediately callable, I am assuming they will not be unless and until rates fall below 3.25%. If they do get called, it is a low percentage of my fixed income and I still get the 4.4% return.

I wound up buying 2 CDs this week:
(1) Wells Fargo CD 3% coupon with a YTM 4.44 (matures 6/26/2029)
(2) JP Morgan CD 3.25% coupon with a YTM 4.468 (matures 10/29/2030)

In my non-IRA accounts, I am buying shorter term noncallable CDs at above 5% at banks that I already have accounts with. This week, I bought a couple of the 15 month Synchrony Bank 5.5% CDs.
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 08:35 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Thanks. I like the low coupon high discount strategy.
Old 01-06-2024, 09:51 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

A similar strategy is useful with callable agency bonds.

One thing that I learned recently is to look at the details on corporate callables, especially for non-financial institutions... while the header migh say they are callable in a lot of instances the first call is just a few months before maturity so it isn't a big deal... for me it is effectively non-callable if a Dec 2028 maturity is callable in Jul 2028.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 10:49 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Retyre View Post
In my non-IRA accounts, I am buying shorter term noncallable CDs at above 5% at banks that I already have accounts with. This week, I bought a couple of the 15 month Synchrony Bank 5.5% CDs.
That's a good rate but I don't like having lots of accounts. Is Synchrony one worth having? IOW do they often have good rates?
Trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2024, 12:23 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
That's a good rate but I don't like having lots of accounts. Is Synchrony one worth having? IOW do they often have good rates?
Of the three online banks plus 1 FCU I have, Synchrony almost always has the best rates and raises them more aggressively.
Old 01-09-2024, 07:58 AM   #37

My CDs at Penfed just matured yesterday. I kept the money there, got some 5 year at 4.0 % and some 15 month at 5.0 %. Thought about opening a NASA account, for the higher rates, but I just have too may places already, lol.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 03:00 PM   #38

I brought this up once before about the very good rates at United States Senate credit union but got no reaction so I'll do it one more time. I joined over 5 years ago so I don't remember how I joined but I believe it was pretty easy. They have better rates the ones that have been quoted for 3-5 years. The rates change at the beginning of the month.
Old 01-09-2024, 04:06 PM   #39

Does USSFCU still let you fund with credit card? They didn't like my ChexSystems report the last time I tried to apply to their CU.
teej1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 04:10 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ View Post
I brought this up once before about the very good rates at United States Senate credit union but got no reaction so I'll do it one more time. I joined over 5 years ago so I don't remember how I joined but I believe it was pretty easy. They have better rates the ones that have been quoted for 3-5 years. The rates change at the beginning of the month.
To join you need to join the AMERICAN CONSUMER COUNCIL which is easy.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote