Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals Thread 2024 - Please post updates here

I was on Fidelity today. There were no new, call protected CD’s longer than 24 months. I hope we get a better selection soon.

I was on Fidelity today. There were no new, call protected CD’s longer than 24 months. I hope we get a better selection soon.

Well, it is New Years Day so the inventory shown may not be typical, but I do see about 12 offers over 24 months with call protection. The rates are mostly under 4%. I’m more concerned with the rates falling than lack of supply.

I wouldn't be buying but if I was, I would be looking at 2026 or later maturity/ call dates........

On Fido
(new CD) DSNCT4910 Matures 01/09/2026 4.0% yield
(secondary CD) 856285J36 Matures 03/1/2027 2.2% face (but 4.286% yield)

The new CD at Fidelity is gone. Currently the best interest rate on a 3 year CD is 3.950% from Guaranty Bank and First National Bank.

The brokered CDs are very lame these days. Especially if you look at only non-callable.

I picked up several decent direct bank CDs last month, 5.25% and 5.50% APY. Longest term was 15 months.

The brokered CDs are very lame these days. Especially if you look at only non-callable.

I picked up several decent direct bank CDs last month, 5.25% and 5.50% APY. Longest term was 15 months.

Same conclusion here. A little more work, but worth the effort. Depositaccounts.com for the win.

yeah, I swear every newspaper I read today had an article about locking in your rates so everyone running out in a panic........

From past experience it’s seems that late in the year and early the next year banks offer a few more CD specials at good rates. They probably know that people are looking at CDs at this time and there is a little more competition - that’s my theory anyway.

That’s also the time I usually have a little more cash to put to work and I’m usually looking.

Schwab continues to be a wasteland of brokered CDs. Out of patience, so I bought a $50k, 18 month at Marcus @ 5.25%. Going to miss my monthly payers, but anything over 5% seems to only exist at banks.

Vanguard has a non callable 4% for 3 years. My brokered CD came due today and I’m thinking of grabbing this one. I’m satisfied with 4% for 3 years as I do believe rates will decline. It’s at Wells Fargo.

Vanguard has a non callable 4% for 3 years. My brokered CD came due today and I’m thinking of grabbing this one. I’m satisfied with 4% for 3 years as I do believe rates will decline. It’s at Wells Fargo.

If you're satisfied with the terms that's all that matter.s

Hi All,

I'm always cautious - so, please comment?

I opened an account with NASA FCU with $5 last year.

They have a CDs with good rates ... 5.7% for 9 months, 5.45 for 15 months, 4.75 49 months.

Anything wrong with using this institution? Anyone have experience with them?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 125A1449-4C92-4054-8523-DABDD00445B5.png
    125A1449-4C92-4054-8523-DABDD00445B5.png
    216.9 KB · Views: 6
I've been a customer for at least 10 years. The only issue is that sometimes the specials say new customer or new money only which means they won't let you renew a maturing CD to the new special rate. You can get around it by calling and asking for a supervisor approval or you will need to move the funds elsewhere and they usually cave and give you the rate but not always.

Hi All,

They have a CDs with good rates ... 5.7% for 9 months, 5.45 for 15 months, 4.75 49 months.

Thanks!

There's nothing wrong with NASA FCU as a financial institution. Do a google search or go look on depositaccounts if you want more reviews.

https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/nasa-federal-credit-union.html

Hi All,

Thanks!

I have used them with good success. I also have used old money for "new money" specials but I go to the branch in person.

Harder for them to say no when your money is leaving if they say no.

Just as an aside, for where we are in the rate cycle, treasuries, agencies and CD's have fallen the most in yield. This is because they move on rates only, not on credit risk.

Corporates are a much better buy right now whether individual bonds or funds.

Also, in my opinion, CD rates may improve some (as they have already) as rates seemed to get a bit ahead of themselves. But I'm talking 10-20 basis points.

And if we get a weak jobs report this week (or in the coming weeks), all bets are off.

ETA: Still some good promo rate deals at brick and mortar banks. Such as 14 month CD 5.7% at Langley FCU.

Last edited:
In the last two weeks I settled for a 9-month 4.9 or 5.0 rate and then a 9-month 4.65 broker CD.

OK, I got a mailing from Vanguard for a Cash Plus Account touting 4.70 APY.

vanguard.com/cashplusaccount

But the intriguing thing was that it says FDIC coverage up to $1.25 million for individual accounts and $2.5 million for joint accounts.

I take it this is the standard FDIC $250k coverage with up to 5 beneficiaries?

Hi All,

Thanks!

I have used them for about 6 yrs with no problems but I can walk into a branch. I just closed my account because I just have too many banks. They charged me $35 to close my IRA account. Most of their promo CDs require “new money”.

They say the rate could change at any time. The promotional CD is available until 3/20. That doesn’t mean the rate is.

They say the rate could change at any time. The promotional CD is available until 3/20. That doesn’t mean the rate is.

Exactly. My Capital One CD just did that. Rate dropped before I was able to renewal my account even though it was a "special" rate for current CD customers.

We've all been here for a year or so watching these rates slowly march upward. Unfortunately the downward trend will much quicker. No surprise to any of us I'm sure.

Hi, again!

Set up EFT at Fidelity and transferred some funds to NASAFCU - can "see" the funds online with NASAFCU.

What I can't see is a way to move those funds into CDs ... am I missing something? Please don't tell me I have to call them to do this? Aack ...

Have you looked at an option “add a new account”? At banks and FCUs CDs are separate accounts.

I don’t have NASAFCU but I have other FCUs.

Back
Top Bottom