Buying new car

I don't know if this is the right forum for this but here goes. We have a perfectly good car in a 2006 Toyota Camry. In great shape. All the gadgets and new tech in new cars are deterring me from considering a new one. Also the cost of repairs because of the tech are more costly to fix. The only issue is that we do not have side airbags in our current car. What are others ideas about buying newer cars?:popcorn:

I feel like our 2018 Kia Niro is a much safer car than our 2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara. Depending on your age and health (I'm 68) after age 65 it might be wiser to lease a car rather than buying one.

We have a Tesla Model Y on order. I’m hoping to receive it later next year to replace the 2002 Toyota Highlander I’ve been driving (original owner). I’m sure the safety features will be MUCH better than what we have now. Tesla’s are amazing vehicles, and American made as well.

Earlier this year, I was thinking about replacing my 2000's era car with something newer, specifically to take advantage of the newer driver assist technologies. Then I did some research, and found that those features really aren't as beneficial as you might think. Check out this study done by C&D:

https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...es-automatic-braking-system-tested-explained/

It's a bit of a lengthy read, but the short of it is that no manufacturer (incl Tesla) has an effective system that can save you from a serious (i.e. above 50mph) collision. Sure, the safety systems might stop or slow you down in a less serious accident (in the 20-40mph range, but only in ideal conditions), but I have insurance to cover lesser accidents. I'm looking to prevent serious life/limb threatening accidents, which the current generation of driver assist technologies can't really do much about.

So now I'm looking at cars in the 5-ish year old range that don't come with all these ridiculously-expensive-to-buy-or-repair features...a good suite of airbags is probably the best cost/benefit safety feature in modern cars at the moment.

Anyone here got a VW Tiguan? I am up for a new lease in 2020 and looking at a small SUV. The 3 contenders are (Drum Roll): VW Tiguan, Audi Q3 and BMW X3.

I do not like any US, Japanese or Korean Equivalents. US cars lose too much money in the first 3 years and the others are a little too "rounded or bubbly" for my liking, I prefer a more square look.

Anyone here got a VW Tiguan? I am up for a new lease in 2020 and looking at a small SUV. The 3 contenders are (Drum Roll): VW Tiguan, Audi Q3 and BMW X3.

I do not like any US, Japanese or Korean Equivalents. US cars lose too much money in the first 3 years and the others are a little too "rounded or bubbly" for my liking, I prefer a more square look.

Neighbor had a Tiguan. As soon as the warranty ended it gave him hours of wrenching enjoyment every single weekend. Poor guy bought a Highlander and now has nothing to do with his spare time.

Neighbor had a Tiguan. As soon as the warranty ended it gave him hours of wrenching enjoyment every single weekend.

7 Years! Not bad at all, but really I don't care, I only lease cars in my retirement. Others have the problems not me.

Last edited:
Long (and stolen from another forum but edited for my additions/content) post, but this was the process I recently followed purchasing a 2019 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring, ended up getting it at about $400 under invoice price. It worked very well, and I'll do it each time moving forward. Very happy with the new Accord.

1. ***DO NOT GO TO THE DEALER, EXCEPT TO TEST DRIVE OR TO BUY*** You’ll understand why by watching a few YouTube videos posted by Steve Richards. He’s a car sales consultant who goes around training dealers on how to manipulate customers to get the best deal (for the dealer). It’s fascinating work and represents the tactics that dealer salespeople will use against you.

2. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Resources such as Consumer Reports provide reviews and reliability reports that can help shape your decision making. Beware of misleading awards/achievements that dealers advertise. They’re dubious at best. “SUV of the year” doesn’t mean anything if reliability of the brand is below average. “Ranked #1 in Initial Quality by JD Power” only means that it was really nice when measured during the initial 30 days of ownership. How useful is that?

3. PICK 2-3 VEHICLES. Narrow down your choices. It will give you more flexibility in the negotiating process. Plus, the vehicle that looks great on paper might not be that great when you test drive it... Test drive each and determine which you like best.

4. DETERMINE TRADE-IN VALUE. If you have a trade-in, look up the estimated value on KBB. You’re going to get less selling it to a dealer than if you sell privately. However, the times savings and decreased risk of liability that come with selling it to a dealer are worth it for most people. Take your trade-in to CarMax for a free appraisal. While waiting, you can test drive used versions of whatever models you’re interested in. Once you have an appraisal in hand, it’s good for 7 days. Use this later in the negotiating process once you’ve reached a final price on the car you want. If the dealer can’t at least match the CarMax price, no problem, sell it directly to CarMax. *Note: CarMax appraises low and sells high. Dealers know this. You can use this to your advantage to get the dealer to buy your car. They can still mark up the price and make money from it, just like CarMax does.
-Again, do not discuss a trade-in with the dealer until you’ve reached a final price on your new car. There’s a good chance that they’ll ask. You can respond with a simple, “I want to focus on the out the price on this new car.”

6. GET PREAPPROVED FINANCING AHEAD OF TIME, but BE OPEN TO FINANCING THROUGH THE DEALER. In my last three car purchases, I've financed through the dealership for an additional incentive, and then I pay the car off immediately. Verify no pre-payment penalty. Either way, walk in the door knowing how you can best pay for the car, but keep options open. Don't pay cash just to pay cash... you can probably save another $500 in financing incentives.

7. DETERMINE PRICING. Once you’ve settled on the car, figure out the invoice pricing. This is the price that the dealer paid for the car. KBB provides this for free based on the make, model and trim that you select. They will also show you the average sales price for your area, BEFORE rebates/incentives/taxes/etc. This is important info to know. Dealers will always work off of MSRP. This is an arbitrary number… hence the S = “suggested.” By going off of this inflated price, the dealer will manipulate the numbers to show that you’re getting a good deal based on percentage off of MSRP. It’s bullshit, don’t listen to it. Focus on the invoice price. Odds are that you can negotiate below invoice, but you have to be patient and not seem desperate (note: there’s less flexibility if it’s a first model year or redesign). The dealer still makes money through hidden manufacturer incentives such as holdback (ironically, it’s tied to MSRP… usually 2%) and bonuses from meeting sales quotas. Also pay attention to rebates and incentives. Most manufacturers offer a military rebate. It’s important to know that rebates come from the manufacturer and not the dealer’s bottom line, because dealers try to use the additional savings from the rebate to justify that they can’t go any lower in price. I deliberately did not request the military rebate until after I had come to terms on a fair out the door price. This really pissed off the dealer, but again, it’s not their money. The $500-1,000 rebate comes from the manufacturer.

8. NEGOTIATE ONLINE. Lookup the internet sales folks at each dealer in your area and send them an email along the lines of: “I’m ready to purchase a 2018 MAKE/MODEL/TRIM/COLOR/ACCESSORIES this week. Send an itemized invoice that clearly annotates the total out the door price. Whichever dealer gives me the lowest price will earn the sale. Look forward to hearing back from you today.” The more dealers in your area, the bigger your negotiating power. This varies by brand. You’re going to have a lot better luck with Toyota, than a smaller brand like Subaru or Land Rover.

9. MAKE THE DEALERS COMPETE FOR YOUR BUSINESS. You’re going to need to negotiate via email to ensure that the price is closer to what you’ve determined in step #4. Once you have a fair price from one of the dealers, send it to the others and challenge them to beat it. Emphasize that you’re ready to buy, so they know that you’re serious and not wasting their time. If none of them are willing to go down, you’ve still got a quote for a fair price. Best case, you save a little more money in the process. *Note: This takes some time. Anticipate about a week, and up to 20 emails per dealer. If you can time it right, the last week of the month works best. Dealers want to end the month with the maximum number of sales, as that’s how they receive additional compensation from the manufacturer.

10. CONFIRM THE DEAL. Once you’ve received the best quote. Review all of the line items carefully and get the dealer to confirm that there’s nothing hidden. They may offer you a car that has unwanted accessories and try to charge you for them. Within reason, it’s perfectly acceptable to refuse to pay for them. This is another opportunity for the dealer to squeeze profits. A good dealer isn’t going to miss a sale over this.
Next, get the offer in writing, via email. Check the numbers carefully and make sure that they’re correct. Once complete, call the dealer to let them know that they’ve earned your sale, request that they hold the vehicle and schedule an appointment to sign the sales contract. Set expectations… emphasize that you don’t want to waste the salesperson’s time or your own. When you come in, you expect the vehicle to be available and for the paperwork to be ready, as discussed. If anything is out of the ordinary when you arrive, you’re going to walk out and do business with dealer X who gave you the next best price.

*Note: You do have to pay the document fee required by each state. It’s $300 in MD and $699 in VA. Use those differences to drive down the price in Step #5. The dealer that I ended up buying from was in VA. I got them to match a lower quote from a dealer in MD and they lowered the price of the car by $399 to account for the difference in doc fees.
-Taxes and registration are based on your state of residency.

11. SIGN THE SALES CONTRACT. Based on timing, you want to take delivery of the vehicle during daylight hours. This is the time to do a final inspection of the vehicle. Any scratches, stains, etc. should be annotated and corrected before you take ownership. Yes, we’re talking about a new vehicle, but you never know what can happen in a lot crowded with inventory.

12. BE PATIENT & HAVE FUN. Dealer salespeople are experts in psychology when you’re in the showroom. This is your opportunity to have some fun and turn the tables on them. There’s hard work involved to make this happen, but it shouldn’t be stressful. Remember the solo test drive advice? Every dealer made an issue with this. The first one said that it’s against their policy. I abruptly ended the conversation and started walking to my car. The salesman ran after me and apologized. 10 minutes later I test driving the car by myself. Every dealer that I negotiated with claimed that they couldn’t come down in price. Guess what? They all did… many by quite a lot.

WHAT NOT TO DO
1. DON’T USE A CAR BUYING SERVICE: TrueCar, Costco, American Express, etc. all use the same underlying system that charges dealers money for your contact information as a serious lead. The pre-negotiated “great price” that they offer is often much higher than what you’d pay negotiating via email.

2. DON’T GO INTO A DEALER TO NEGOTIATE: You’re putting yourself in enemy territory. It’s a waste of your time and the dealer will use psychological tactics to obscure the price or value of what you’re getting.

3. DON’T PROVIDE YOUR PHONE NUMBER: Unless you want to be called incessantly, don’t give your phone number until you’ve setting on a deal and are ready to move forward. I used a free Google Voice phone number that sends text transcripts of VM to my phone.

4. DON’T FOCUS ON MONTHLY PAYMENTS: Classic dealer tactic. “How much are you looking to pay each month?” What matters more is the total price of the car. If the dealer asks you this, redirect it as such: “I’m only interested in the total price of the car.”

5. DON’T DISCUSS TRADE-IN VALUE. This is another leverage point for the dealer. If they know that you’re planning to trade in a vehicle, they’ll lower the price of the new car and make up for it by giving you less for your old car. Go to CarMax and get a free appraisal (good for seven days). These tend to be fair, but on the lower end of what you can get. Ask the dealer to beat CarMax’s offer and show them the appraisal paperwork. CarMax buys low and sells high, so there is plenty of room for the dealer to still make money from your trade-in.

6. DON’T BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY, PREPAID MAINTENANCE PLAN OR SPECIAL INTERIOR/EXTERIOR PROTECTIVE COATINGS. These are all straight profit for the dealer. Remember, new cars come with at least a 3yr/36k mile warranty that covers everything. If you determine that an extended warranty is worth it after that initial period, you can purchase one from the dealer at a sizeable discount. Toyota, for example, attempts to sell extended warranties on new vehicles that range in price from $2,500 - $3,000. If you wait three years, you can often buy that same extended warranty for $800 - $1,200. You can shop dealers for the lowest price, just like buying a car.

7. DON’T BE IN A HURRY. Even if you need to purchase a new car quickly, don’t share that with the dealer until you’re ready to request quotes. They will use desperation against you.

8. DON’T PAY FULL RETAIL FOR OEM PARTS/ACCESSORIES. There’s going to be something extra that you want for your new vehicle. Maybe it’s a cargo cover or all weather floor mats. The parts department is one of the biggest profit centers for a dealer. You can often buy these items for 25-50% off retail price through Amazon. Many car dealers sell parts directly this way. I wanted an all-weather liner for my cargo area. The OEM Toyota version is high quality, better than WeatherTech. Toyota dealers sell this at their stores for $100. When I looked up the part number on Amazon, it showed dealers in TX, CT and PA selling the exact same item for $76 with free shipping. I don’t mind waiting a week for delivery in order to save $24. Same applies to all of the other accessories that are available for new vehicles.

^^^^^^^

I agree with most of the above, BUT GOOD LUCK with #8. No experienced dealer will give you actual pricing via email as they are smart enough to know what you will do with it.

^^^^^^^

I agree with most of the above, BUT GOOD LUCK with #8. No experienced dealer will give you actual pricing via email as they are smart enough to know what you will do with it.

Have you tried?

Around here, it's getting harder, but it can be done. Friends in Southern California, where the market is bigger and more diverse, have better luck.

If you haven't used the Leasehacker site, it might be of some use to you. Truecar is of some use for leases, because you can get an idea of actual sale prices that govern the basis of the lease.

I didn't realize it til after the night after I drove off the lot with my 2019 Tacoma, that several "standard" features were only available on the next marketing level. I have no key fob (only drivers door has a lock, which requires a key) no intermittent wipers, (they're on, off, or fast) and no automatic lights ( you must turn on DRL, parking, and driving lights with a switch, but they have auto shut off, and auto dimming high beams.)

My 2015 Sienna van has intermittent wipers but if I recall, I have to push the stick the opposite way of making them turn on.

It also has auto lights, meaning I turn them on to auto, and then they turn on driving lights in the day and become regular lights at night.

Recently decided to keep our 2006 Accord and renew the timing belt. We considered a new vehicle but we like the Accord. Money had not impact on the decision. Plus, I really do dislike shopping....for anything (except airfare, hotels, and other travel products).

Our summer car is a 2007 Toyata convertable. I have no idea if it has side air bags. No plans to replace that either. We are out of the country 4 months of the year. We no longer put a lot of mileage on the car. Not concerned about side air bags. If our time is up, it is up.

Last edited:
If you're going to lease, the VW, Audi and BMW would be fine--with maintenance included.

If you're going to buy, go another brand. Nothing will bite you on maintenance like an aging German vehicle--any brand. And modern vehicles are getting more and more complicated electronically--to cause more problems.

If you don't like ANY U.S., Japanese or Korean small SUV's, you're simply out of luck. They're all perfectly acceptable vehicles. We just love our Ford Explorer with 3 row seating. The Toyota RAV-4 and Ford Edge are my favorites of the "smaller" SUV's.

........... Not concerned about side air bags. If our time is up, it is up.
I don't worry so much about getting killed, it is getting 75% killed that worries me.

If you don't like ANY U.S., Japanese or Korean small SUV's, you're simply out of luck. They're all perfectly acceptable vehicles. We just love our Ford Explorer with 3 row seating. The Toyota RAV-4 and Ford Edge are my favorites of the "smaller" SUV's.
Those are all good SUV's.

I have been looking, but haven't been able to find any that I like more than my 2009 Toyota Venza. It occurred to me that maybe it's not so much that the new vehicles are bad, as that I really love my Venza! It only has 32,000 miles on it. I am used to sneering at it and calling it my "nanny car", and didn't realize that I actually like it more than the alternatives.

So today, for the first time, I seriously thought about just taking it to the Toyota dealer, getting the maintenance up to date (if it isn't already), having them do a few minor repairs, and then just keeping it a while longer. I'd end up with an SUV that I like for less money than if I bought a new one.

Oh well, so much for blowing that dough.... :facepalm:

............So today, for the first time, I seriously thought about just taking it to the Toyota dealer, getting the maintenance up to date (if it isn't already), having them do a few minor repairs, and then just keeping it a while longer. I'd end up with an SUV that I like for less money than if I bought a new one.

Do it! Then take it to a good detail shop and have it detailed inside and out. It will be like getting a new car.

Just closed a deal on a new 2020 Subaru Ascent Premium. MSRP $37,680, Dealer invoice $35,850, my price $33, 890. No negotiation, I knew what I wanted when I walked on the lot. Test drove one, found one he had enroute from the factory outfitted the way I wanted it. He handed me the price I'd pay on a printed form of the car's details and we shook hands. 30 minutes tops. Car shows up in 10 days, tax, license, fees comes to $2,900. In the meantime, I call Subaru Customer Care on a Saturday and chat it up with the guy, who gifts me a manufacturer's rebate of $750 in the form of a 'Loyalty Certificate' since I was on record for having purchased a Subaru in the past. I presented this with the finance guy at the end so the dealer couldn't work it into his side of the numbers. Final cost; $36,040. 2 days before the car shows up, Subaru offers 0.9% financing for 48 months. Heck, I'll borrow all I can at .9% so nothing down. Payments are $760 a month.

As far as the car goes, it's so loaded with high tech, it's incredible. I literally can not drive it into anything. Subaru's have an active system that will brake the car if you try to drive it into anything or back it into anything. The dealer sets up cardboard cutouts of people, deer, guy on a bike, etc. Up to 50mph, the car will sense the object and brake in time to not hit it. Parallel parking; can not hit the car in front or behind without manually over riding the system. Steering automatically keeps the car in it's lane and adaptive cruise control will pace me to the car in front if that car is driving slower than what I set my speed control for. Great for commuter stop-n-go traffic; the car will maintain the space and keep the car within my lane.

It does a lot more with the main viewing screen along with two other screens that show all sorts of data and aspects of the car. It will even let me know when I have a text, read it to me and take dictation to reply. It's got a boxer engine with a turbo charger output of 260 horse power. Has 3rd row seating for up to 8, although I went with a second row captain's seats so 7 can sit in mine. All wheel drive for harsh weather. CVT transmission. Between the turbo charged boxer engine and the CVT tranny, it feels a lot like driving a Tesla. (My brother has one).

My wife is a little jealous of the car though. It responds by voice commands using android's; Hey Google. But it will say things without waking up with that command. The other day driving with DW, I said, "I love you" to DW. The car replied, "That's high praise coming from you". Ha! Female British accent.

Just closed a deal on a new 2020 Subaru Ascent Premium. MSRP $37,680, Dealer invoice $35,850, my price $33, 890. No negotiation, I knew what I wanted when I walked on the lot. Test drove one, found one he had enroute from the factory outfitted the way I wanted it. He handed me the price I'd pay on a printed form of the car's details and we shook hands. 30 minutes tops. Car shows up in 10 days, tax, license, fees comes to $2,900. In the meantime, I call Subaru Customer Care on a Saturday and chat it up with the guy, who gifts me a manufacturer's rebate of $750 in the form of a 'Loyalty Certificate' since I was on record for having purchased a Subaru in the past. I presented this with the finance guy at the end so the dealer couldn't work it into his side of the numbers. Final cost; $36,040. 2 days before the car shows up, Subaru offers 0.9% financing for 48 months. Heck, I'll borrow all I can at .9% so nothing down. Payments are $760 a month.

As far as the car goes, it's so loaded with high tech, it's incredible. I literally can not drive it into anything. Subaru's have an active system that will brake the car if you try to drive it into anything or back it into anything. The dealer sets up cardboard cutouts of people, deer, guy on a bike, etc. Up to 50mph, the car will sense the object and brake in time to not hit it. Parallel parking; can not hit the car in front or behind without manually over riding the system. Steering automatically keeps the car in it's lane and adaptive cruise control will pace me to the car in front if that car is driving slower than what I set my speed control for. Great for commuter stop-n-go traffic; the car will maintain the space and keep the car within my lane.

It does a lot more with the main viewing screen along with two other screens that show all sorts of data and aspects of the car. It will even let me know when I have a text, read it to me and take dictation to reply. It's got a boxer engine with a turbo charger output of 260 horse power. Has 3rd row seating for up to 8, although I went with a second row captain's seats so 7 can sit in mine. All wheel drive for harsh weather. CVT transmission. Between the turbo charged boxer engine and the CVT tranny, it feels a lot like driving a Tesla. (My brother has one).

My wife is a little jealous of the car though. It responds by voice commands using android's; Hey Google. But it will say things without waking up with that command. The other day driving with DW, I said, "I love you" to DW. The car replied, "That's high praise coming from you". Ha! Female British accent.

I have mortgage payments on several properties lower than this... I had the cheapie financing on the Lexus and the payment was still $500 a month. After a couple of years, I just paid it off. Couldn't stand to look at that.

My goal now is to stick with mid-$20's priced cars and a payment of less than $350 with the 0.9 percent financing.

You did negotiate a good deal. Congratulations!

I literally can not drive it into anything. Subaru's have an active system that will brake the car if you try to drive it into anything or back it into anything. The dealer sets up cardboard cutouts of people, deer, guy on a bike, etc. Up to 50mph, the car will sense the object and brake in time to not hit it.

You need to be aware that if you have your foot on the brake at all, it disables the front collision avoidance system. In other words, if you depress the brake pedal even a little bit, the system assumes you have things under control and it won't apply the brakes harder automatically.

We buy one, nice 2-3 year old car every five years, for cash. We buy the extended warranty for, ideally, 5 years. That way, we’re rotating one car every five years and obtaining newer safety features and comforts while only paying for major repairs on one of our two cars at a time. YMMV.

If you're going to lease, the VW, Audi and BMW would be fine--with maintenance included.

Most US SUVs, at least the ones I would like are not good value to lease, residuals (Resale Values) are way too low. The exception is the Jeep Wrangler if you can call that a SUV. US SUVs are better deals to buy I would expect. Some are better than others but cannot compete with or compare to the overseas made comparables.

I have not kept a car (Daily Driver) more than 3 years in the last 27, never paid a penny in maintenance in all that time, and at 66 I am not about to start now. All have included maintenance including fluids, wipers etc.

Foreign car leases are usually better than domestic, or at least that is what I have found. I like shopping for cars so I always throw a US choice into the mix, but they can never seem to compete. It is a good comparison though when coming to a final deal. I tried the Escape this year but a better equipped BMW X3 was a little better deal with more included options.

The VW Tiguan is way ahead of all of them at the moment. I did my research on a few contenders earlier this month on 2019 models.

These were the ones I reviewed; Cadillac ST4, Escape Titanium, VW SEL Premium, Audi Q4 and BMW X4. The VW Tiguan won by leaps and bounds when all Options, Price and Reliability were all taken into account.

I did not review the Mercedes SUV as there is one in virtually every driveway in my neighborhood and I wanted to be different.

This review is for my next daily driver of course. Toy cars, of which I have owned quite a few are a very different story.

I have been looking, but haven't been able to find any that I like more than my 2009 Toyota Venza. It occurred to me that maybe it's not so much that the new vehicles are bad, as that I really love my Venza! It only has 32,000 miles on it. I am used to sneering at it and calling it my "nanny car", and didn't realize that I actually like it more than the alternatives.

So today, for the first time, I seriously thought about just taking it to the Toyota dealer, getting the maintenance up to date (if it isn't already), having them do a few minor repairs, and then just keeping it a while longer. I'd end up with an SUV that I like for less money than if I bought a new one.

I kind of like the Venza. It seemed like a good "jack of all trades" vehicle to me...a good blend of sedan, wagon, crossover, SUV, and minivan, but not too much of any one.

One thing I've been noticing about a lot of newer vehicles, is that it seems like they're making the seats smaller and thinner. Even in bigger cars, it feels to me like they're putting compact car seats in them. My current daily driver now is a 2003 Buick Regal, and I swear just about every newer car I've been in lately, seems like the seats are just under-sized. And often the seating position is rather low, too. Not low, in relation to the ground necessarily, but low in relation to the floor. So even in an SUV or truck, you might sit up high off the road, but still low to the floor, so legroom isn't that great, unless the seat goes back really far.

I wonder if the Venza is similar? I've never been in one, but I'd imagine the seats might be a bit bigger than a lot of more modern vehicles.

I did not review the Mercedes SUV as there is one in virtually every driveway in my neighborhood and I wanted to be different.

If you want to be very different and want an exceptional driver's SUV, go for a long test drive in an Alfa Romeo Stelvio. Make sure you do high speed highway driving and twisty back road driving too. Incredibly comfortable, very quick and cheap to lease. These have to be one of the best kept secrets in automotive history. Yes, I'm aware of the negative perception of Italian car reliability, but if you're only keeping it a few years, it won't be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom