car people - suggest a toy

I love Porsche since I started driving but it was never a priority until recently so I rewarded myself with this 2019 Targa 4GTS before my retirement this July .View attachment 31504

with your price range you might have to stick with 996 year- 911 model(1998-2004) if you can live with the egg drop headlights and make sure they upgraded the IMS bearing or else budget in 2k to fix it and don't wait to fix it.

That's a beauty! Slightly more than $25k though. Lol. :)

Anyone remember the old Datsun 510 back in the 1970s that beat all of the Alpha Romeos and BMW . The guys entered the Trans Am circuit 2 races late and still whupped up . To buy one of those little cars today is well over 10K . I think brand new were like 1795.00

If you can find one in good shape - Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce. Classic vehicle.

Uh yeah right. That’s a serious classic, not a toy! I love these but the spyder seems to be more popular. Alfa’s require commitment.

Toyota 86? Light weight. I might choose the Mazda RX8 over the 86. Had the RX8, and it was an amazing car, handling-wise. Comfortable, stable, incredible braking...but it's FWD, and drips oil out the tail pipe.

Or a Subaru WRX? Or Nissan 350Z?

Last edited:
I've seen 2016 and 2017 1SS convertibles go for around 25K. I was thinking of something newer than a C6?
Of course the C6 series ran thru 2013 so the end of the C6 run isn't too old just yet. I had two of them and they are really great sports cars. Also, let's remember, the OP was initially talking about 99 thru 03 models. Personally, I've never been much of a Camaro guy myself, but to each his (or her) own. I'll admit, the later model Camaros are very cool looking but I'm actually trying to stay away from ultra sporty/flashy looking cars. They draw attention that I don't want. I'm happy with my boxy looking 11.2 1/4m SUV.

Last edited:
Anyone remember the old Datsun 510 back in the 1970s that beat all of the Alpha Romeos and BMW . The guys entered the Trans Am circuit 2 races late and still whupped up . To buy one of those little cars today is well over 10K . I think brand new were like 1795.00

My sister had one and drove it 200K miles. I used to tune it up and change the oil for her when we lived in So Cal. Light as a feather and with the right tires, it was on rails.

As someone else mentioned, be cautious of the Porsche 996 (911 from 99-04) and the IMS bearing. Wheeler Dealers had a show on this Porsche a couple of weeks ago and it was scary.

I have a 993 (911 from '96) and I love it. However oil changes run around $400 a shot.

It's nimble and fast and with low miles you may get a pre owned still under factory warranty. Fiat Abarth.

Of course the C6 series ran thru 2013 so the end of the C6 run isn't too old just yet. I had two of them and they are really great sports cars. Also, let's remember, the OP was initially talking about 99 thru 03 models. Personally, I've never been much of a Camaro guy myself, but to each his (or her) own. I'll admit, the later model Camaros are very cool looking but I'm actually trying to stay away from ultra sporty/flashy looking cars. They draw attention that I don't want. I'm happy with my boxy looking 11.2 1/4m SUV.

i hear you regarding the fast and furious look - I currently have a 95 firehawk convertible and if I upgraded it would probably be a 2016+ slomaro convertible. DW won't let me have a corvette says it's too much of an old man cliche.

I love Porsche since I started driving but it was never a priority until recently so I rewarded myself with this 2019 Targa 4GTS before my retirement this July .View attachment 31504

with your price range you might have to stick with 996 year- 911 model(1998-2004) if you can live with the egg drop headlights and make sure they upgraded the IMS bearing or else budget in 2k to fix it and don't wait to fix it.

Vipertom1970,

I got my 2015 911 Targa 4S a couple of weeks back. I’m loving it! Yes, it was > $25k, but I’ve always wanted one of these beauties.

IMG_1771.JPG

My very first car was a '72 Datsun 510 -- bright orange with a manual transmission and a sunroof. I miss that little car so much! It was so much fun to drive.

Toyota 86? Light weight. I might choose the Mazda RX8 over the 86. Had the RX8, and it was an amazing car, handling-wise. Comfortable, stable, incredible braking...but it's FWD, and drips oil out the tail pipe.
The RX8 is RWD not FWD. I had a 1979 RX7 as my first new car. Loved it with its easy revving rotary engine - the car actually had a loud buzzer that would sound when you were nearing the 7000 redline. I put a set of headers on it (in those days smog checks were still rare) and just for kicks started it up and revved it with the headers not connected to the exhaust. That really got everyone around's attention LOL.

The RX8 is RWD not FWD. I had a 1979 RX7 as my first new car. Loved it with its easy revving rotary engine - the car actually had a loud buzzer that would sound when you were nearing the 7000 redline. I put a set of headers on it (in those days smog checks were still rare) and just for kicks started it up and revved it with the headers not connected to the exhaust. That really got everyone around's attention LOL.
I loved it! The ride was a bit rough under 90, and it was hard to get to use the 6th gear, where I drove it!

It's hard to convince a Porsche lover to make the switch to another brand.

This. If you want a Porsche, get a Porsche. This isn't supposed to be a rationale purchase -- buy whatever makes your heart beat a little bit faster and makes you turn around to check it out after your park it. :)

As others have mentioned, the 996 was definitely a bit unloved, and prices reflected that. But that's changing, and prices on clean examples seem to be going up. The 996 Turbo used to be a smoking deal, but prices on those have gone up 50% in the past few years.

I think the 996 is a great 911. While it definitely lacks some of the heart and soul of the previous air-cooled versions, it's a more civilized car than the previous models. It's a bit more of a Grand Touring car than the earlier models -- it's very comfortable for putting in some serious miles.

As others have mentioned, the IMS bearing is an issue, but you'll find a lot of the cars have already had that addressed at this point. It's not an inexpensive car to maintain, but if you can do a few things on your own (oil changes, etc.), it's really not that bad. I like the 6-speed coupes, but there always seems to be a ton of Tiptronic cabriolets on the market, so the prices actually go down with these cars if the top goes down. ;)

You can get a newer Boxster S in your price range. Smaller cars, but a lot of fun. They feel more like an earlier 911. They also have the IMS issues (86 Boxster). I haven't owned or driven a Cayman yet, but they're basically a Boxster coupe, and a Cayman S would definitely fit the bill (although you probably won't find one under $25k).

By the way, I've had very good luck buying Porsches from PCA members. They obviously tend to be enthusiasts, maintain their cars well, and don't look at you with a blank stare when you ask about the IMS . . .

Lastly, another really great GT is the Jaguar XJR. Supercharged V8 coupes & convertibles that are absolutely lovely -- especially the coupes. Aim for a 2003-2006 XJR which has the 4.2 supercharged V8 mated to a ZF six-speed transmission. You can pick one of these up for way under $25k. British flair with Ford reliability. Certainly much softer than a Porsche; again, more of a high-speed GT car than a true canyon carver.

I thought RX 8 was rear wheel drive?

Terrible polluter, but fun and fast.
++++++++++++++++

Or a Subaru WRX? Or Nissan 350Z?

One car not mentioned so far. A Honda S2000. This was one of my favorite cars ever and am still sorry I sold mine. They have a bullet proof engine and a great manual 6 speed. Look for one that has not been overly modified and you’ll have a very fun car. I like Miatas as well but the Honda is a bit more engaging.

Oops. Just re-read and saw another mention. Great car.

I loved my S2000 when I had it!:dance:

I’ve owned two Miatas and both were a blast to drive, pinpoint handling, with high revving 4 cylinders that, while not all that powerful, were perfect for the car. I recommend them. I also owned an Infiniti G35 coupe with the performance package (6 speed manual, stiffer suspension, and lowered). This car was blazing fast and handled very nimbly—but it is a bigger car and somewhat heavy—not exactly tossing it around. I now drive a Mercedes CLK550 convertible that is awesome but no manual... I’d go with the G35 coupe or maybe a G37S. Japanese build means lower costs to maintain.

Honda S2000

Mine is a 2002. Best car of its type out there. And it’s a Honda so it’s going to run reliable. Mine is like new and now has 39,000 miles on it. Redline is 9000 RPM. Only a few cars in the world can do that. No turbo, not many bells and whistles, just raw 6 speed RWD fun.

Unmolested ones like mine are hard to find, but possible under $20k.

Attachments

• 09753A5B-8940-440D-8C59-76D291865D09.jpg
    09753A5B-8940-440D-8C59-76D291865D09.jpg
    787.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 580127CE-5B2C-4A78-80BF-E3EBDA9E19D4.jpg
    580127CE-5B2C-4A78-80BF-E3EBDA9E19D4.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 25
  • C1DA342B-4807-45E6-8544-F2578EAF4BB4.jpg
    C1DA342B-4807-45E6-8544-F2578EAF4BB4.jpg
    793.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Had several toys over the years . Mustangs,Corvettes,Camaros and Mopar muscle. I purchased a Mini Cooper S with the turbo for my wife with the checkard moon roof and mirrors . That little car is like driving a go cart and is a blast to whip around it. More than enough speed to get in trouble and gets 29 mpg all day long. I have cars that have the 500Hp plus and this little thing is more fun to drive without burning fuel.

Slepp

A Lexus IS 250C. My favorite convertible ever. It has paddles on the steering wheel column to shift.

I remember the sedan rotary, the racing technique was to always keep the buzzer on. Not much could catch it. Didn't seem to damage it.

Back
Top Bottom