Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-21-2016, 05:48 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cash is king
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2016, 05:49 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I find I just don't spend enough to get the points needed to get the big deals on things like business class, etc. The signup bonus is a help, but after that it is hard to build miles up, at least for me. If I was a big spender or had a business with lots of expenses or worked for a company that allowed me to charge to my personal card and earn points that would be different. So, I mainly go for cash.

I have one fee card which I keep because each year I get a certificate good for a free room at one of their hotels. The cost of the room is at least twice that of the annual fee.
Old 10-21-2016, 05:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Cash is king

And anonymous.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-21-2016, 06:57 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I do both. I'm pretty lucky in the fact that my business runs up some pretty high expenses each month on reward credit cards. My thought was to diversify my rewards...50% cash/50% SPG and Ultimate Rewards.

One thing I've learned about myself is that I am frugal. This means it is sometimes hard to pull the trigger when booking hotels/flights. Rewards points has pretty much solved that and has allowed me to travel with less anxiety about spending money.
YeahNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:13 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
We stopped using most credit cards when DH retired because he wanted to use cash for local spending. ...
Not giving up my 2% cash back, plus the protections that a CC gives if the mdse is faulty, not to mention doubling the mfg warranty.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:06 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I prefer cash or statement credit back.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:14 PM   #27

Show me the money!
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:32 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLevyMD View Post
We travel overseas several times a year and have found the best use of credit card points is to upgrade from economy to business class. Each of the major cards ( chase and Amex ) have various airline partners. To do this, you sign up as frequent flier on airline , hold the flight you want, make sure upgrade is available then transfer points from credit card to airline. The savings has amounted to 4-10 cents per point and saved us thousands.
Isn't there a lot of competition for using points to upgrade, and doesn't it also depend on frequent flier status if you are wait listed? Seems like upgrade availability is often quite low - hard to get.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:59 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Show me the money!
Old 10-21-2016, 11:01 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeLevyMD View Post
We travel overseas several times a year and have found the best use of credit card points is to upgrade from economy to business class. Each of the major cards ( chase and Amex ) have various airline partners. To do this, you sign up as frequent flier on airline , hold the flight you want, make sure upgrade is available then transfer points from credit card to airline. The savings has amounted to 4-10 cents per point and saved us thousands.
Hmmm, interesting. Can you give some examples?
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 11:34 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I find I just don't spend enough to get the points needed to get the big deals on things like business class, etc. The signup bonus is a help, but after that it is hard to build miles up, at least for me. If I was a big spender or had a business with lots of expenses or worked for a company that allowed me to charge to my personal card and earn points that would be different. ........
Same here, but I do find I can get the bonus, earn some, then cancel the card. Keep the points alive for 2 years, and then get another signup bonus on a new card.

Doesn't work for SPG, so may end up dropping that card due to the fee.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:40 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehairfella View Post
My rule with points is to spend them when I can. I don't hoard them. Devaluations can happen at any time. Bonuses are get bigger, churning is common and devaluing a reserve of points is any easy win for airlines and lenders

The point (pun intended) is that if I'm going to earn points, I don't save them for a rainy day. If you're too much of a saver, or if you don't do much international travel, just earn cash. The value of cash is easy to track :-)
I think the capricious nature of "points" is the best reason to stick to cash rewards. We had points devalued once too often and cut up cards soon after. Now, it's cash only cards.

I suppose if you can earn travel points from a business card, it might make sense to do so. You can spend those points on personal travel with no hassle (points is points). But we are long past business travel. Show me the money, er, cash!

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:25 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I think the capricious nature of "points" is the best reason to stick to cash rewards. We had points devalued once too often and cut up cards soon after. Now, it's cash only cards.

I suppose if you can earn travel points from a business card, it might make sense to do so. You can spend those points on personal travel with no hassle (points is points). But we are long past business travel. Show me the money, er, cash!

We tend to like the cash - simple, card has no fee, and the places we like to stay when traveling (small luxury hotels or privately owned homes or condos) don't take points. We have loads of unused air miles because we never seem to be able to get flights we want with our points. Hopefully that will change with our more flexible schedules when we RE.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:42 AM   #34

Everything I have read about points/mileage rewards indicates that it's a bit of a shell game. The ability to use mileage rewards for airline perks is highly restricted and difficult to use. Add to that the fact that we tend to use non-major airlines (Volaris, InterJet, etc.) in and out of Mexico and points just don't work for us. Most of the points I have ever earned have expired unused.

For our AmEx card we get cash back. No annual fee, so they are basically paying us just for running our purchases through them vs. another card or debit. I'll take free money all day long...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:54 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

We do amazon card for 5% credit on amazon purchases and then rest is chase sapphire for points
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cash for us...
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:23 AM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you don't travel a lot definitely cash

If you travel but prefer to fly coach only still do cash

If you and would enjoy international business class without having to pay for it nothing beats th value you can get from points.

For the latter sample I just Booked rt to Thailand in united global first using chase points. No way I would ever pay that fare in cash but by using points it sure is quite a nice perk. Had I done the charges on a cash back card instead of all the point bonus cards and I doubt I would have gotten more than 2k in cash vs these two international tickets (note I got 200k points from sign up bonuses)
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 10:27 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Which is better cash or points? The eternal question. Meh!

I have always used my monthly cashback credits to reduce my next statement. Since that's my way, it's the best way.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:22 PM   #39
Dryer sheet aficionado

Cash back for me. We have some Chase and Amex cards and its good to see the money
Old 10-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #40

I'm another one for mixing it up.

The PenFed Visa I use only for gas gives 5% cash back.

I use a Hilton Visa for stays at their hotels,
a Marriott Visa for those,
and a Delta Amex for air travel.
I find the points from those cards work well to keep me in their elite categories.

Nearly everything else goes on a FIDO Visa 2% cash back card.
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote