Collecting Social Security benefits at age 62

I’m still waiting to see one realistic mathematically illustrated reason, based on net income, MFJ, when in the 25% and above bracket in retirement and living in a state that is SS tax free, but not deferred retirement account free, where filing at 62 provides more income for life with low risk.

The only one I can think of is for the couple to die at 63 or so.

I agree with your thoughts. I try to jump in with suggestions about how to consider the filing choice logically.

But what I find is that folks choose to start their benefits based on a gut feel. Then they go looking for reasons that support their choice rather than reasons that don't. So I generally stop trying to point out logical errors when the person has already made up their mind and isn't looking to be convinced.

There are two discussions that seem to happen repeatedly where folks already have made up their mind - the decision about when to start collecting social security and the decision about paying off a low-interest mortgage.

I'm always happy to talk about them logically, but most folks don't really want to do that.

The good thing about social security claiming age is that it isn't really about good and bad choices. It's really about good and better choices. The same is true about paying off or not paying off your low-interest mortgage.

Last edited:
You two should talk.

LOL! I'm fairly sure it wouldn't help. This is just one of those discussions that people enter with their minds already made up.

I'm fairly sure that if I pointed out that the current SS rules regarding starting benefits early and delaying benefits were established in the days of higher interest rates, it wouldn't matter.

I'm pretty sure that if I pointed out that 8% risk free per year is much higher than other risk free investments, and thus a terrific reason to delay, it wouldn't matter.

I'm sure if I mentioned that while the rules were actuarially neutral when they were created, but no longer are, it wouldn't change anyone's mind.

So I doubt talking would help.

I am currently 64, according to SSA.gov I will get $xxxx.xx pm if I apply now and $yyyy.yy at 66. What I would like to know is how much I will get in a years time when I am 65?

Is it simply: $xxxx.xx X 8.3% +=?

Thanks

I am currently 64, according to SSA.gov I will get $xxxx.xx pm if I apply now and $yyyy.yy at 66. What I would like to know is how much I will get in a years time when I am 65?

Is it simply: $xxxx.xx X 8.3% +=?

Thanks

"In the case of early retirement, a benefit is reduced 5/9 of one percent for each month before normal retirement age, up to 36 months. If the number of months exceeds 36, then the benefit is further reduced 5/12 of one percent per month."

So in your case, if you will be exactly 12 months short of your full retirement age of 66, then you will receive 93.333 % of $yyyy.yy.
Also remember that SSA.gov is an estimate. The actual number could be slightly different depending on your earnings for the addition year and any COLA increases.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/quickcalc/early_late.html

Last edited:
It’s actually pretty simple, people just make it complicated. The government is not stupid they’re not giving anyone free money they have a very good grasp on when people will pass away. Unless you live well beyond the normal life expectancy or die before the life expectancy, then it all becomes neutral if you take it early you’ll get smaller checks but a lot more of them if you take it later you will get larger checks but less of them so if you die within the normal life expectancy it all becomes a wash.

LOL! I'm fairly sure it wouldn't help. This is just one of those discussions that people enter with their minds already made up.

I'm fairly sure that if I pointed out that the current SS rules regarding starting benefits early and delaying benefits were established in the days of higher interest rates, it wouldn't matter.

I'm pretty sure that if I pointed out that 8% risk free per year is much higher than other risk free investments, and thus a terrific reason to delay, it wouldn't matter.

I'm sure if I mentioned that while the rules were actuarially neutral when they were created, but no longer are, it wouldn't change anyone's mind.

+1. Bada bing. Love the low mortgage analogy, too. I’m not trying to convince anyone of anything. Teach a pig to sing joke. I only point out either faulty logic or logic I do not understand. I know I will not file at 70. It is an emotional reason. I admit it. I know I want to go to at least 68. Not at all because I need the money, but for reasons I’ve listed. I plan on taking a much higher WR from 62 until filing in order to do exactly what the “spend more now while you are younger” respondents are claiming y filing at 62. After I file, with a higher fixed income, doesn’t really matter how long it takes (or if) the portfolio recovers, as I won’t need much or possibly any from it when RMDs are levied.

It’s actually pretty simple, people just make it complicated. The government is not stupid they’re not giving anyone free money they have a very good grasp on when people will pass away. Unless you live well beyond the normal life expectancy or die before the life expectancy, then it all becomes neutral if you take it early you’ll get smaller checks but a lot more of them if you take it later you will get larger checks but less of them so if you die within the normal life expectancy it all becomes a wash.
Not really. We know that life expectancies have gotten longer in the last 20 to 30 years with advances in medicine, less smoking and generally healthier lifestyles (partially offset higher obesity) but the discounts and premiums for taking SS early or late are no different than they were 20 to 30 years ago.

I always remember those news stories where so-and-so was keeping grandma alive...to keep collecting.

I wonder what age the SSA knocks on the door to shake hands with grandma.

I know completely off-topic. Everyone's life expectancy is different. If you needed $40k in the next year to prolong death another year, and SSA was the ticket, I don't think people would not file. But if someone said, well if you give me 50k in one year I will give you TWO more...well it's too late.

It’s only 8% risk free if you don’t die.

It’s only 8% risk free if you don’t die.

Not dying and I'dd add future benefits aren't reduced in some way through overt cuts, subtle cuts like chained CPI, asset testing, tax law changes, benefits not being cut across the board by 23% in 2029 due to lack of funds, etc.

And weigh against a portfolio loss due to market crash, prolonged bear, or insideous inflation. There are too many unknowns to make an absolute correct decision. All one can do is best guestimate with the current data and be as risk tolerant and diversified as is comfortable. As another poster said, its really about good and hopefully better.

TL-DR summary:
Use a retirement planning tool to determine the best time to take SS. Run different scenarios.

Verbose part:
I'm afraid I had to use various retirement planning tools to determine when we should take social security. My initial inclination was to believe it shouldn't matter, but as it turns out it does matter a fair amount and particularly with regards when poor stock market conditions prevail - at least for our particular circumstances.

Background: I'm 62 this year, wife is 63. We have stock, bond, and cash assets of ~$740k and last three years our average after-tax expenses have been ~$68k/year and I don't expect that to change when we retire this summer. If we take SS this year, I would receive $1602/mo and wife $1947/mo. At age 70 the numbers (according to the worksheet I used on SS web site since the normal SS projections assume continued employment till 70) the SS would be $2811/mo and $3088/mo respectively. House was purchased for cash ~$330k in 2006 - current value unknown. So we are definitely on the low side of assets for retiring now, given our annual expenses. But I have run the numbers in Fidelity planner, Pralana Gold Retirement calculator (worth the price IMHO,) and FIRE Calc - all say the odds of living off our assets and delaying taking SS at 70 is pretty good (by my estimate of acceptable risk) and definitely superior to taking SS now or any time before 70 (or 69).

I'm attaching the graphs from the Fidelity planner (Pralana has some nice graphs of this too, but people here are probably more used to the better known Fidelity tool.) The color coding isn't quite consistent between graphs, so I'll try to explain what they show:

In this graph, the model shows what happens on average in the 10% worst conditions (kind of - read Fidelity's explanation in the last screen snip.) The dark blue curve is the asset balance when we take SS at age 70. The light blue curve is the average asset balance when we take SS this year (62 & 63). Obviously the assets decline slower by starting SS this year but run out sooner absent any expense reduction. But in bad markets we'd have a long tedious life of eking it out trying to preserve any liquid assets by taking SS now. SS at 70 allows us to live our current life style possibly indefinitely even in bad market conditions.

attachment.php

In this graph, the grey curve is the case of taking SS at 70 and blue curve is taking SS this year (the SS @ 70 curve that is obscured by the blue curve showed a similar though less severe decline in assets that is shown in the earlier figure.) This model shows what happens at Fidelity's 75% confidence level. Note that in 2050, when the assets for the SS@Now scenario hit zero, wife and I would be 94 & 95 years old. For a lot of people that is plenty long enough planning range (I'm a semi-optimist and put in 104 & 105 as drop-dead ages. An optimist would use 115.:D)

attachment.php

In this graph, the dark blue curve is the case of taking SS at 70 and the light blue is taking SS this year. As you can see, this "average" market case is the only one where taking SS early (in our unique set of circumstances) yields higher average assets over most of our life-spans, dipping below the SS@70 case only in the last few decades.

attachment.php

Lastly, here's Fidelity's explanation of their market conditions:

attachment.php

Attachments

• assets_90pctl.PNG
    assets_90pctl.PNG
    44.4 KB · Views: 309
  • assets_75pctl.PNG
    assets_75pctl.PNG
    43.9 KB · Views: 309
  • assets_50pctl.PNG
    assets_50pctl.PNG
    45 KB · Views: 312
  • market_explain.PNG
    market_explain.PNG
    130.5 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:

It certainly seems reasonable that the early retirement factors may have been roughly actuarialy equivalent back when they were developed (I believe some of these date to the 1950s), but are out of date now. Of course, changing attitudes toward discount rates are important, not just changing mortality. I've never taken the time to do the calculation myself.

Regarding the "8% risk free", if the "other risk free investments" are bonds, then we have an apples-oranges comparison.

A $1,000 investment in a typical 8% bond gives the buyer an annual coupon of $80, plus a return of the entire $1,000 purchase price at maturity.

Retirees who forgo $1,000 of SS benefits this year in anticipation of an additional $80 per year in every as long as they live, get just the $80, and never get the $1,000. If they die 12.5 years after their new start date, they will have earned exactly 0% on their $1,000.

OTOH, you may have meant private annuities. Every example I've seen shows that deferring SS provides a better payout than putting the same money into a private life annuity. But, that comparison is only meaningful to people who were actually considering private annuities.

No Hold Harmless clawback

Further, when the time ends where Hold Harmless helps, then the beneficiaries of that benefit are saddened when they may have to catch up to the rest of the pack in later years reducing or eliminating any SS monthly increase while they catch up to the rest of the group.

Nope. There is no clawback to catch up. I always wondered, but could never find a definitive answer anywhere.

But I found out this year. I got the full benefit of the Hold Harmless for the last couple of years, to the tune of $17/month (paid $105 vs. $122).

But this year the 2% increase put me just over the line so I'm paying the full $134/mo. And my net SS check increased by about $2/mo.

If they were clawing back the Hold Harmless, my net SS would not have increased--the entire $2/mo would have been going to offset the accumulated $17/mo.

Nope. There is no clawback to catch up. I always wondered, but could never find a definitive answer anywhere.

But I found out this year. I got the full benefit of the Hold Harmless for the last couple of years, to the tune of $17/month (paid $105 vs. $122).

But this year the 2% increase put me just over the line so I'm paying the full $134/mo. And my net SS check increased by about $2/mo.

If they were clawing back the Hold Harmless, my net SS would not have increased--the entire $2/mo would have been going to offset the accumulated $17/mo.

Sorry if I mis-communicated my intent. I tried to say essentially what you just did. The hold harmless works for a short period, then when conditions change, those HH beneficiaries are paying the same as everyone else. HH does not reset the base for a life-time benefit.

In other words, you saved on Medicare premiums for a couple of years. If the Cola was a bit lower for 2018, then everyone not in "hold harmless" would be taking home more but not you. Your cola increase went to catching up to what the rest of the pack is paying.

The formula mixes percentages and actual dollars. So the results vary between individuals. All other thing being equal, the higher the SS monthly benefit, the quicker one catches up to paying full price for Medicare.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Math is hard. Could you just put the Present Value of 8 years of your SS income stream into Firecalc with an 8 year life and it would show you outcomes? Or against 30 years or other variable versus what you would receive at 70. So just isolate your SS as your only asset? More fun for tomorrow when the weather goes downhill.

Math is hard. Could you just put the Present Value of 8 years of your SS income stream into Firecalc with an 8 year life and it would show you outcomes? Or against 30 years or other variable versus what you would receive at 70. So just isolate your SS as your only asset? More fun for tomorrow when the weather goes downhill.
FireCalc uses 100+ investment paths. Which do you use for the pv calculation?

If you want to isolate SS as your only asset, there is no need for any pv calculation.
Suppose my annual SS benefit is X and my annual target spending is Y.
If X > Y, FireCalc will give 100% success.
If X < Y, FireCalc will give 0% success.

And it is not 8% per year compounded like an investment. it is a flat 8% a year increase above the full retirement benefit. It can't be compared to an investment, since it is not compounded.

I see your point and agree that we must compare apples with apples. And we can do that, IMHO.

I am sure anybody with a financial calculator or computer can come up with the equivalent compounded return. I think the equivalent is about 5.75% compounded. Perhaps the financial wizards can confirm that, or show me the error of my ways.

Last edited:
As the OP, I want to thank everyone for their replies. All of the information and discussion was very thoughtful and informative. After much consideration, DW decided to file at 62.

The reason she decided to file at 62 is because I receive a pension and am affected by GPO/WEP. If she were to past before me, I would get absolutely no SS benefits at all.

She did have one additional question though, since she has applied for Social Security and submitted her application, what is the next step? How long will it take for her to start receiving her benefits?

Please let us know, from your own application experience, how the next stage of the process plays out. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom