Contactless Credit cards - safe

We really do not have much choice.

The credit card is the property of the issuer. They set up the security protocols on cards that we are obliged to follow.

Canada has an unusually high limit at C$250. I think the Euro zone is €50, and the UK is £100. The US doesn't have a statutory limit, so it's up to the card issuer.

It is £100 in the UK, and depending on the bank, after every so many contactless uses (maybe 10), it prompts for the card to be inserted and the PIN entered. I use Applepay, usually with my watch, and there is never the need to enter a PIN plus there is no low money limit on purchases, the limit is the same as if inserting the card.

As far as security goes, we’ve never had any fraudulent activity, whereas 2 of our US cards have had fraudulent purchase attempts in the last 2 years, both times in the USA and we haven’t been even been in the USA for over 2 years. One of the cards was my wife’s US Amex card which she hasn’t used in years so we simply canceled it rather than have them issue a replacement.

What is this "watch" thing you speak of? :D

I have a velvet-lined box full of timepieces that go on a wrist, but I haven't worn one for the last 20 or so years.

It’s not really a watch. It’s a wearable computer.

Are you talking about a credit card or debit card? I have never had to enter a PIN for a credit card transaction. I’m not even sure what the PINs are for our cards.

PINs on credit cards are common in Europe and Canada. We have a US issued Chip card with PIN that we use in Europe. But these days contactless and Apple Pay are so common in Europe that we rarely use it anymore.

Wallets today can be found with RFID blocking, so someone can’t scan your cards.

So I activated this silly card and so far have not been anywhere that takes contactless. . .

I love contact-less. I only have one card that supports it. Problem is, I'm only seeing it (for credit cards) on gas pumps. Most of the places I frequent (Big Box Home Stores) still require me to insert the card. After using contact-less, I find it annoying.

I don't have a phone that does NFC so no phone support for me yet.

The orange big box store recently revamped their entire POS system. I don’t mind self check but in addition to not supporting NFC you now have to use a handheld scanner instead of holding your item near a stationary scanner. More contact than before…. a giant step backwards.

The orange big box store recently revamped their entire POS system. I don’t mind self check but in addition to not supporting NFC you now have to use a handheld scanner instead of holding your item near a stationary scanner. More contact than before…. a giant step backwards.

Gosh, I was GLAD to have the change to handheld scanners. I have taken sheets of plywood and drywall through the self-checkout lane, and it was not all that easy....

Gosh, I was GLAD to have the change to handheld scanners. I have taken sheets of plywood and drywall through the self-checkout lane, and it was not all that easy....

Same here. Love those handheld scanners. Makes check out so much easier. They have them at BJs too. I don’t even have to take stuff out of the cart. It’s great.

post #112: i avoid self-checkout lanes when possible. it's like kicking the shovel out of a worker's hands.

But before (at least at my Big Orange), you had a choice of the stationary or hand held. Now it all has to be hand held.

And the "new" terminals don't have contactless. Why?

Non-Pro tip: I usually just go through the "Pro" line anyway and get served by a cashier. I've never been asked for credentials.

But before (at least at my Big Orange), you had a choice of the stationary or hand held. Now it all has to be hand held.

And the "new" terminals don't have contactless. Why?

Non-Pro tip: I usually just go through the "Pro" line anyway and get served by a cashier. I've never been asked for credentials.

Interesting! Either my HD did not have hand scanners available previous to the recent change, or I was oblivious to them...

Last edited:
Admittedly I haven't been to HD recently but I've never encountered that. Hand held is great for big/heavy items but stationary is just fine for small items, though hand held works great there too. If they're only going to have one for some reason, hand held would definitely be the preference.

Admittedly I haven't been to HD recently but I've never encountered that. Hand held is great for big/heavy items but stationary is just fine for small items, though hand held works great there too. If they're only going to have one for some reason, hand held would definitely be the preference.

All the HDs in my area switched over to handheld scanners at least a year ago. I love them.

Given the thread topic is contactless technology, being required to use a handheld seems low tech. As for large items in self check there no room for sheets of drywall in our locations. The line at the contractor’s checkout is usually short and they have a great loading area.

As for large items in self check there no room for sheets of drywall in our locations.
Do you mean at Home Depot? You can't go through self checkout with something big like drywall or plywood? How strange. I've never seen a store where self checkout couldn't accommodate everything.

We are seeing embossing disappear from our cards. The account numbers will be on the back of the card.

Our latest MC card is vertical instead of horizontal. Next, magnetic stripes are being phased out in favor of safer chip technology.

Lots of changes coming over the next two years.

Back
Top Bottom