Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 08:36 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am wondering, who is paying the bill for the Princes' quarantine? All those 3,000+ need to be fed, the crew needs to be paid, consumables (tp, cleaning agents) supplied. Possibly there are port fees.

Ongoing cruses by that ship would have been canceled.

Let's look at this from a financial standpoint.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2020, 08:39 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I am wondering, who is paying the bill for the Princes' quarantine? All those 3,000+ need to be fed, the crew needs to be paid, consumables (tp, cleaning agents) supplied. Possibly there are port fees.

I would imagine that cruise lines have massive insurance policies, and this is peanuts compared to the Costa Concordia sinking.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 02-12-2020, 09:05 AM   #103
Dryer sheet aficionado

I need to stop popping the bubble wrap that comes in some of my packages.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:31 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

(IMHO)
In reality, they are providing a service (quarantine) for Japan and getting paid for it. Which would explain why so many other countries are refusing to allow the Holland America (even though cororna free) to dock as they don't want the risk of paying for housing all those possible patients in a quarantine area.

Otherwise all passengers get off, and go to a hospital and the ship leaves ?
Old 02-12-2020, 10:44 AM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Ah, that explains it. Cambodia is permitting the Holland America ship to dock, I wonder if the boat owner agreed to foot the bill. Cambodia definitely doesn't have the resources to provision a cruise ship with thousands of people in quarantine.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:52 AM   #106
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
The experts tell us that washing our hands in soap and water is much more effective than hand sanitizers. That tells me I would wash the glasses with soap and water. The alcohol and other chemicals mentioned here, are too aggressive to wash my glasses with. Even if the chemicals don't attack the frames or the lenses themselves, lens coatings might be affected. I wouldn't take that chance.

I agree. washing with soap and water is the best alternative. Hand sanitizer is used only if soap and water is not available. I use hand sanitizer to clean the cardio machines before I work out at the gym.

My wife's has a business and she spray with lysol on hard surfaces that are likely to be touched by her customers: Door handles, toilet handles, toilet seats, countertop where her customers conduct payments, etc. Soap and water needs to be rinsed so that any virus goes down the drain. There is no coronavirus outbreak near her business so she does this for the common flu. The coronavirus made her more aware of viruses and the need to prevent the spread of viruses.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post
I agree. washing with soap and water is the best alternative. Hand sanitizer is used only if soap and water is not available. I use hand sanitizer to clean the cardio machines before I work out at the gym.

My wife's has a business and she spray with lysol on hard surfaces that are likely to be touched by her customers: Door handles, toilet handles, toilet seats, countertop where her customers conduct payments, etc. Soap and water needs to be rinsed so that any virus goes down the drain. There is no coronavirus outbreak near her business so she does this for the common flu. The coronavirus made her more aware of viruses and the need to prevent the spread of viruses.
Now, I'm not so sure the spray that's available at my gym for the weight machines is sufficient at all... The spraying thigy doesn't even smell like much.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:04 AM   #108

Quote:

I read that the cruiseline is paying for it. The cruiseline is big business and the worst thing to their business model is having customers take a financial hit and then tell future cruise customers that there is a risk in taking a cruise. It is my understanding that the customers are getting a full refund "plus" a voucher for a free future cruise. The cruise industry can afford most of this via their deep pockets or insurance.

As far as the medical costs, I do not have any information.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:02 PM   #109
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ships from China apparently are not allowed to dock in the Port of Los Angeles. Quote from a poster on MMM that lives in Southern California and used to be in the Coast Guard:

There are about 20 Chinese freighters waiting off shore now in the port of LA that are being denied entry.

(I asked for source...)

1070 AM station plus friend is CG vessel inspector for ports of LA/LB and does cargo ship inspections. Also several diffetent TV news reports last night interviewed dock workers, longshoremen and truck drivers and all said work is nearly at a standstill. Truck drivers not able to pick up loads and not getting paid (independents) but union longshoremen are still getting paid.

ETA: just googled but couldn't find anything but it was on the 11 pm newscast night (plus you can see all the cargo ships sitting off the coast). Part of the problem is just the big slow down or shut down of production in Chinese factories due to the virus. Less shipments to US means less work for everyone involved with the cargo industry. Also ships and crews are quarantined for 14 days before they can off load and crews are denied shore leave.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:37 PM   #110
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just retrieved my package from China from my mailbox. It sat on a pile of advertising and coupons. It had been shipped on Dec. 22nd. There was no tracking data between Dec. 23rd when it was still in China and when it arrived in IL on Feb. 10th. DH says it probably came by boat, so presumably if the package had any virus on it when it left China would probably have died by now. Still, if anyone is looking for ideas, I took the following (probably unnecessary) precautions, trying to minimize contact with our house surfaces:

I put on a pair of blue latex gloves that have been stored in our bathroom for several years. I opened the garage door and went outside through the garage. I removed everything from the mailbox. The package from China was in a white Tyvex-type envelope. It's cold and not sunny, so leaving it outside wouldn't accomplish anything. Now, if snow would kill it, we are expecting a snowstorm later. I took the package into the garage. I threw the advertising and coupons in the trash can. I opened the Tyvex envelope and threw it in the trash can. The 2 T-shirts were in a clear, plastic package. It took a little more doing to rip that open and it went in the trash can. I left the T-shirts folded and put them on the garage floor underneath DH's workbench. They'll sit there for awhile. I took off the gloves and threw them in the trash. I took a can of Lysol from the garage and went back to the mailbox and sprayed it all over, inside and out. I went back to the garage, closed the door, and went back into my house. I washed my hands good with soap and water in the bathroom. I wet a paper towel with 70% rubbing alcohol and wiped down the one inside doorknob that I touched. I poured some rubbing alcohol over my hands, then washed them again with soap and water. The T-shirts can stay on the garage floor for awhile.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:57 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Now, I'm not so sure the spray that's available at my gym for the weight machines is sufficient at all... The spraying thigy doesn't even smell like much.

The spray at the gym is diluted to save the gym some money. That is why I use my own disinflectent which I use at full strength. Lysol is probably the best but there are similar less expensive generic products from WalMart and Target. I have yet to catch the flu this year.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:19 PM   #112
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
If it remains on cold surfaces, maybe just take it out of the packaging, put it in front of a heater fan, then wash your hands. But until there are cases of infections from goods, I think it's a bit extreme to go through some of the actions suggested above.
Its spreading thru apartment ventilation systems, and you want to put it in front of a FAN
Old 02-12-2020, 08:06 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

I understand that it was spread through a wastewater (toilet) vent that had been inappropriately modified.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:52 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ah, that explains it. Cambodia is permitting the Holland America ship to dock, I wonder if the boat owner agreed to foot the bill. Cambodia definitely doesn't have the resources to provision a cruise ship with thousands of people in quarantine.
I believe the cruise line would pay for the expenses of quarantine for passengers and crews of the Holland America ship Westerdam.

However, there will be no quarantine as the ship has been at sea for almost 2 weeks with no illness on board. Passengers will immediately disperse to fly home.

Activities on this ship have been normal, unlike that on the Diamond Princess where passengers were restricted to their cabins.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-12-2020, 09:41 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I was expecting a large spike in reported covid-19 cases in the next week or two, as folks in quarantined cities returned to work. It will just take some contagious ones to spread it massively on the trains, buses, etc..

Having them change the definition of affected to now jump the number up about 14K, is a surprise and will get folks attention, as just earlier today I heard how it was all winding down with lower infections.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:48 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post
The spray at the gym is diluted to save the gym some money. That is why I use my own disinflectent which I use at full strength. Lysol is probably the best but there are similar less expensive generic products from WalMart and Target. I have yet to catch the flu this year.
Thank you for your post. It makes sense; the spray at the gym is like water, and I was wondering if it did anything at all. At this point, I don't want to go to the gym anymore (not that I was going much anyway... I liked their massage machines though!). I might, after all this virus phobia is over (or is it my personal phobia??), but not now. The strange thing is I play volleyball, and the ball is never EVER washed or cleaned and it doesn't bother me, and we all do low 5's to each other constantly. Go figure that one!

Maybe I'm OK with germs of the limited people I know, but not germs of a bunch of strangers...
Old 02-13-2020, 12:17 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

An article I read points out that in 2003 at the SARS outbreak, China accounted for 4% of the world GDP.

Its share of the world GDP is 16% now.

And this COVID-19 has killed more people, and disrupted life inside China as well as in other countries a lot more than SARS.

I saw on the Web how some Vietnamese farmers are hurting already, because their products could not be shipped to China. Just a small thing that does not concern anybody else now, but we will see how similar but larger effects develop in other trades with other countries.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-13-2020, 12:27 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I was expecting a large spike in reported covid-19 cases in the next week or two, as folks in quarantined cities returned to work. It will just take some contagious ones to spread it massively on the trains, buses, etc..

I believe Wuhan and 15 nearby cities are still in lock down.

It's in the other cities that people are allowed to go back to work. Even in cities such as Beijing and ShenZhen that are far away from Wuhan, they see much reduced traffic, as people are still afraid to go out on the streets.

And that is rightly so, as about 5 million escaped from Wuhan in the few hours between the time the lockdown was announced and it was enforced. These may now spread the infection to the rest of China.

It is reported that people are encouraged to turn in neighbors or people they know that escaped from Wuhan. An authoritarian regime has an advantage in enforcing draconian measures.

Old 02-13-2020, 03:07 AM   #119
gone traveling

Quote:
I understand that it was spread through a wastewater (toilet) vent that had been inappropriately modified.
VENTS are not filled with water. Aerosol spewing out with every type of nasty thing.

follow the health effects thread:
https://www.early-retirement.org/for...101852-37.html
Old 02-13-2020, 05:12 AM   #120
Moderator Emeritus

I was curious as to the geographical area in China affected by the virus. This map sums it up as of 2/6/2020. About the entire east half of the country. Found in the New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/06/w...uarantine.html
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 4.55.53 AM.png (210.5 KB, 55 views)
Closed Thread