Deferred ER Regret

Good to see some replies from folks who have been retired for a long time. Not to slight those who have only been retired a few years, but it would seem you'll only know for sure if it was a good decision financially at the end of the plan. Retirement is about much more than $ and there are tradeoffs to making the $ work, but that part has to work to make the rest possible. Also make a big difference if you're FIRE or SIRE or where in that continuum. I am 55, not retired, and still can't figure out if I will work another year or 10...but it is helpful to read all the perspectives

Normally I would agree with you but several of us retired just as the economic melt down occurred .We watched our portfolios melt away . If that did not make us run for jobs or leave the country I think our plans were pretty good .

Isn't that true regardless of how long any of us have been retired? ;)
No interest in a dispute, but I guess I don't see how anyone will really know if their $ plan worked until the plan actually ends. Anytime before that, it's a calculated probability, but I don't have the experience many here have.

Ok, I'll bite. Financially, I am sure I won't have a problem. For me, it was a whole host of other considerations that came into play. I have conquered most of those other "demons" and I couldn't be happier about my choice. I could have done this 3 years ago, but am happy with the way things are turning out. And boy is my golf handicap getting better. Just shot my first 80 on Friday. Looking forward to getting under than shortly...:cool:
OP's question was very open ended. In your case it is all about the important non-financial aspects, congratulations (really).

No interest in a dispute, but I guess I don't see how anyone will really know if their $ plan worked until the plan actually ends. Anytime before that, it's a calculated probability, but I don't have the experience many here have.

Yes, but everyone is preparing for the left tail. What about the right tail? A lot of people drop dead before they hit 60 as well.

Back
Top Bottom