Do you love your home?

I've joked that I'll never be able to live this cheap again.

Paid off the ~2,500 sqft. 3BR/3BA townhouse we're in over a decade ago.

HOA fee (covers everything outside, including roof replacement, & water/sewer) plus property tax plus insurance is under $500/month.

Grew up in a large (~6,000 sqft.) home where I watched mom go broke trying to keep it up after her divorce.

Last edited:
We overpay for a House I don’t like. :-(
Moving from Europe 2 weeks ago we rented sight unseen with only a friend walking through it.
There are no parks or playgrounds, very few children here (if any), the house is massive, and we discovered a raw sewage leak from upstairs to our kitchen on our second day here. $3500/month for this pleasure. IMG_0226.JPG

We live in an affordable townhouse that I like very much. I've lived there for 20 years (which is why it is affordable; couldn't afford to buy it now!). I LOVE the master bathroom, which I completely gutted last summer, and I love the high ceilings and open concept main floor, which is really bright and sunny. I'd love more counterspace in the kitchen, as I love to cook, and I'd love to have a backyard for the dog. Also, I really want to be on the water when I retire. So, the place is great for now, but has some compromises.

We overpay for a House I don’t like. :-(
Moving from Europe 2 weeks ago we rented sight unseen with only a friend walking through it.
There are no parks or playgrounds, very few children here (if any), the house is massive, and we discovered a raw sewage leak from upstairs to our kitchen on our second day here. $3500/month for this pleasure. View attachment 29247

If I signed a long term lease, I would use this opportunity to try to get out of it and leave for something you would like more. At a minimum, I would try to get some relief on the rent while that construction is going on. Like zero dollars until that is fixed.

It’s been very interesting to read the responses. What a great question and one that, ahem, hits ‘home’ for me right now. We’re selling our current home and buying in a new area. I’m a homebody and it’s always been important for me to love my home. The problem is, as I get older I discover more and more about what makes the ‘perfect’ home for me, and as scuba said, there just is no perfect home...and apparently I’m picky and my tastes have gotten much more expensive than I’m willing to subsidize! It was very difficult for us to find a place we liked and we made some big compromises on location to have a home we like. That said, I can already see the things that are going to bug me 5 years from now. Some fixable, some not.

We love our current home, and love the local community, but so tired of living right next to a freeway and train station. And with two small children, the yard space and layout isn’t great. Ten years from now, it would probably be fine, except for the outdoor noise.

New home has amazing views and a wonderful SE exposure. Lots of yard for dogs and kids and great school system. But laundry is on the first floor next to the kitchen, instead of near the bedrooms, and kitchen is a bit dated, with cabinets that are in great shape, but not great quality. Other areas have a color scheme that’s dated as well, which bugs me. But no way I can justify expensive updates for things that are in great shape, but for the color.

I’ve come to realize, especially after reading this thread, that I need to be more zen about things and really focus on the positive, because there’s a lot of it! Can hardly wait to wake up to sunshine and the sound of birds singing in the morning!!

New home has amazing views and a wonderful SE exposure. Lots of yard for dogs and kids and great school system. But laundry is on the first floor next to the kitchen, instead of near the bedrooms, and kitchen is a bit dated, with cabinets that are in great shape, but not great quality. Other areas have a color scheme that’s dated as well, which bugs me. But no way I can justify expensive updates for things that are in great shape, but for the color.
Maybe you could have connections for your washer and dryer installed somewhere upstairs, so that you could relocate the laundry area? I could see how lugging laundry up and down stairs could eventually be quite a problem for many of us as we become older. Another possibility that helps some people in their old age, might be to have one of those stair lifts installed on your stairs later on if/when the stairs become difficult. I am thinking about the stairs, mostly because both Frank and I are at a point in our lives in which we try to avoid stairs whenever we can, due to age, arthritis, joint issues, and so on. That may not be the case for you now, but might be later on.

As for the updates and color schemes, I see your point. Maybe these could be addressed slowly over a decade or two, giving you some time to possibly learn to like the present color schemes or else to relish each change as you slowly put them in place.

I am so lucky with my present home! The prior owner decorated and painted exactly to my own tastes. At first I was concerned because the laundry room is on the opposite corner of the first floor from my bedroom, not close even in this one story home. But I bought a terrific laundry cart that completely solved the problem in my case.

Set up the work schedule for the kids: pool cleaning day each weekend in the summer, lawn mowing each Thursday, snow shovelling outings in the winter. Just watch the nostalgia disappear after a month!

Problem is all of the kids save one who is living at home for first couple years of college have flown the nest. They didn't do too badly pulling their weight when here. And I enjoy doing the lawn and gardens - therapy for me - just would be happy to do maybe 3/4 of an acre less of them.

love but not 'In Love'

I enjoy my house in a safe and appreciating neighborhood. Small one level ranch, wood floors, large private yard, lots of light but stays cool in the summer thanks to maple tree. 5 minute drive to all shopping. Love the wood stove, good school district, and my lake cabin is just 40 minutes away if no rush hour. Both the cabin and the house would be less valuable to me without the other.
I'd prefer more walkable, but walkable neighborhoods seem to have more crime and noise and are more expensive.

The one huge drawback for me is all the mowing. The two properties add up to almost an acre of mowing. Right now, nothing is growing fast, and it's wonderful!

Maybe you could have connections for your washer and dryer installed somewhere upstairs, so that you could relocate the laundry area? I could see how lugging laundry up and down stairs could eventually be quite a problem for many of us as we become older. Another possibility that helps some people in their old age, might be to have one of those stair lifts installed on your stairs later on if/when the stairs become difficult. I am thinking about the stairs, mostly because both Frank and I are at a point in our lives in which we try to avoid stairs whenever we can, due to age, arthritis, joint issues, and so on. That may not be the case for you now, but might be later on.

As for the updates and color schemes, I see your point. Maybe these could be addressed slowly over a decade or two, giving you some time to possibly learn to like the present color schemes or else to relish each change as you slowly put them in place.

I am so lucky with my present home! The prior owner decorated and painted exactly to my own tastes. At first I was concerned because the laundry room is on the opposite corner of the first floor from my bedroom, not close even in this one story home. But I bought a terrific laundry cart that completely solved the problem in my case.

Yes! We're definitely looking into having a W/D unit installed upstairs, but makes it a bit odd to have it downstairs as well--that space becomes more difficult to use. I really wanted a single story house, but my DH refused to consider that in our purchasing plans. We're planning on 15-20 years here and then will downsize, so that puts him ~70--well into the age where he may regret being so obstinate about it! :)

On colors/decor, we'll change some of the easy stuff soon and try to modernize what doesn't make sense to change with accessories, etc... Lots of Hunter green marble/granite. Right now paired with burgundy, but I think we can neutralize it a bit by pairing with creams and grays.

Just a really helpful thread in gaining perspective!

House is ok, but we love the backyard. I can even get a hole or two in for free at dusk:

Attachments

• backyard.jpg
    backyard.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 42
I bought the perfect house for me last fall when I was 69. It is 3 bedrooms 2 bath, one story, 2 car garage on a small lot. Two bedrooms aren't used at all but you need to buy that many to get the good kitchen and extra bathroom about 1700sf, 20 years old.

Just wondering. Is your home an affordable abode or the space of your dreams, which one are you? Some find enjoyment from a nice home they really enjoy while others couldn't really care less

Being a rather frugal type of site (natural for early retirees of course) I would expect most people's homes to be rather affordable. Just wondering really

Cheers :)

I guess I consider our Island place as a good compromise between affordable and dream home. True, 40 years ago, I would have considered it to be a dream home. Now, I recognize that it's kind of small (just a 2/2) and it's an older place with some "issues." Still, it has a million dollar view (at about half that) and it needs no AC or heat - well, most days, anyway.

If wishes were condos, I would have a bigger, nicer, better, etc. place. But, for now, it's affordable though more expensive than I would ever have thought in my youth. YMMV

Love our home.

4 bed/2-1/2 bath with a nearly one acre yard. We have owned the house for over twenty years, very quiet location and neighborhood is great, No mortgage, and property taxes are reasonably affordable. I’m an avid mountain bike rider and racer and I am literally a 5 minute bike ride from world-class trails that I can ride year round.

Funny quick story. Three years ago when my youngest kid was getting ready to fly off to college, she left the water running upstairs, it overflowed, and flooded our house. Lots of damage, which started a major and much needed renovation and updating project. Beyond the immediate interior damage repairs every inch interior and exterior was updated with energy efficiency in mind, including new HVAC, water heater, insulation, gas fireplace, kitchen appliances, etc.

The real treat for me is my updated garage and workshop. Those got the full make over too. Now the shop is my very comfortable, clean, and organized heated space complete with all the essentials (large screen TV, heat, and small fridge) any handyman needs to work on hobbies and projects.

My house has an amazing view over Sarasota Bay .It is three stories but we have an elevator to the second floor and a staircase to the third floor . I use the stairs as a way to keep me mobile .On exercise days I do the stairs 20 times and I am 71 . We are looking to downsize but since this is my last home I want what I want so the search continues .

We are the 2nd owners of our home which was built in 1979 and is on the small side at 1500 square feet, 2 bed, 2 bath, and quirky in several ways. But it is pleasant with a good sized kitchen, bigger bedrooms and an extra room that has been a den, formal dining, bedroom and office at different times. It sits on two heavily wooded acres on a quiet dead end road. The heavy shade and thick trees make it cheap to cool and heat. We had a 450 sq/ft quest house built about 5 years ago which is occupied by my mother at the moment.

As I mentioned it is quirky but we do love it here. Lots of wildlife and the feeling of being in the country even though we are only 3 miles from our local town of 25k.

Our P&E is only $540/m and being content with this home instead of chasing the newer nicer homes going up around us is part of why we were able to save and save and retire early.

I remember telling my father on the day we moved here back in 1995 that I could envision retiring here. And here I am living the dream. [emoji3]

My house has an amazing view over Sarasota Bay .It is three stories but we have an elevator to the second floor and a staircase to the third floor . I use the stairs as a way to keep me mobile .On exercise days I do the stairs 20 times and I am 71.

Sounds expensive.... ;)

My house has an amazing view over Sarasota Bay. It is three stories but we have an elevator to the second floor and a staircase to the third floor . I use the stairs as a way to keep me mobile .On exercise days I do the stairs 20 times and I am 71 . We are looking to downsize but since this is my last home I want what I want so the search continues .
Good luck in your search! I hope you find your last home soon and that it is exactly what you want.

Only thing that would improve my home would be a waterfront view. Ok, modern drain lines would be great. Plumbing issues aside, I do love it and also it’s handicap friendly in case I need that. They yard is a lot of work. I’m about to reroof so I guess I’m in it for the long run!
Sometimes I wish I had bought something very affordable and truly retired, but I love this place.

We really like our home, and where we live. It's a villa (a private home in a CCRC.)

Based on some of the negative comments that there have been on considering this as a later life option, I thought it might be a good thing to show that living in a CCRC, may not be the end of the world.

It's not always being nestled in a tiny apartment, waiting to die, and not always giving up your independence.

I would ask the indulgence of the moderators for posting a short video of that describes our Villas, and what is increasingly available in hundreds more CCRC's (not ours) as they adapt to younger retirees settling in to a somewhat different lifestyle. I am sure that seeing the video would not cause anyone here to move into Peru, Il, and hope it will not be construed as a commercial link (I have no vested interest in the corporation). If the link should needs be deleted per the rules... (that's ok) then those interested might find the same information by searching - simply the finest. The villa shown is almost exactly like ours. :( 'cept it doesn't open up on the pond.

https://libertyvillageofperu.com/villasv.htm

FWIW, over the past 10 years, we are finding more and more younger couples moving in. Early retirees who are establishing their new home and social life, with the security of knowing that if anything should happen, the safety net of a full service community is available.

The popularity is such that an additional 20 villas are being constructed to fill the demand. There are none available for sale in our section of 69 homes, and when people move out to go to other parts of the community, ie. assisted living, word of mouth sells the home before it goes on the market.

Our home is very similar to the one shown in the video... vaulted ceilings, fireplace, large kitchen and with all the safety features that are meaningful to seniors. We bought in 2004, @$140K... the current assessed value is $180K.
1500+ s.f. 2 car garage. HOA Fee $150 mo.. Taxes $2500.

Do we love our home?... I LOVE my bride... I really like my home. :greetings10:

Last edited:
Pretty much the home of our dreams. Not much of a mortgage because we did really well selling our last home. But at 3700s.f., it is a bit more than a pair of empty nesters need. Taxes are getting real close to $10k/yr and utilities are high. Monthly, taxes, utilities and insurance exceed to the mortgage by a long shot. But we do love the town, our very large wooded lot in a tiny town and my separate shop building for my antique car hobby. We are more and more having serious discussions about where/what we move to next when DW retires in 3 years. Doing some soul searching about what we really value in home.

Its really nuts I know

Class of 2016

Building the dream in rural Oregon. Four story post and beam.

Its really nuts as we are empty nesters and dont need such a house. But its what I dreamed about for years while living in 'challenging' overseas locations and dragging out consecutive 'one more year' contract extensions.

17 months on this project so far and hope to move in during the spring of 2019.

DJI_0125.jpg

DJI_0126.jpg

Like our house, not love. We bought it in the bubble period of 2009. We thought if we were ever going to 'upgrade' we should do it when prices are low. Purchased a bank owned under 6700 sq ft house on 3/4 acre. The basement of 2700 is unfinished. I had dreams of getting it finished at some point but now that there are only two kids left in the house it seems like it won't be.

Our dream/retirement house will be a wide open rambler with plenty of room. Initially we were thinking of a few acres so we don't have any close neighbors but after reading some of the comments about maintenance on the land maybe that won't be such a good idea as we not the gardening/lawn maintenance type. :(

Back
Top Bottom