Do you love your home?

Do you love your home?

Sure, I guess. I like it a lot.

I designed it, I built it, and I have lived in it for 12 years. :)

... Just wondering. Is your home an affordable abode or the space of your dreams, which one are you?

It has been extremely affordable.

We bought two parcels of forest land, one for $350/acre and other for $900/acre with river frontage.

I bought a steel building 'kit' that I assembled myself, it is a 2400 sq ft airplane hanger, that I modified a lot. We have radiant heated flooring, we heat with a combination of firewood and solar-thermal. Our home is on solar-power. All total our home and acreage has cost me about $150k. Our property taxes run $800/year.

We have 150 acres of dense forest, so no neighbors, just peace, and wildlife.

... Being a rather frugal type of site (natural for early retirees of course) I would expect most people's homes to be rather affordable. Just wondering really

That makes sense.

If the market is hot then you will be selling at a good price too, is this right? It's all fairly relative in local markets buying and selling.

I don't know how you've managed to hang in so long now, I feel for you my friend. We're in the process of moving from a place I hate now! Into our pretty much dream home in 6 more weeks. Hopefully this one sells before we go. The house isn't too bad but is only 2 bedrooms and neighbours drive me to drink all around. They're extremely patriotic of their 1ha and enjoy showing me they own the lot. It's unsightly, don't feel I own the land because their always out at the fence and sheds and just bloody well noisy now. Here is just one of 6 all round. And that's my fenceline

Another neighbour who's house and shed is right at our fence (naturally) on the other side. As all do, he also runs a business from home.. He's a vending machine stockist so is out there quite often filling the shed with Coke cans. He's a little crazy, mumbling under his breath or sometimes even abusing me out loud when he spots me! Yes, it's a great place this one. He once lit my dry grass on fire which was the final straw for me but as I waited for him to come out for hours he never showed and I let it go. I was quite livid at the time. Dare say he watched from inside the entire time I was waiting. On the positive side he once bought my dog back who was running up the street so go figure.. He has something wrong but we don't know what. He even used to yell out in the driveway. I don't know what at but he's at least stopped now. That was the first thing he did on moving day actually, just came in yelling. That's when I knew things were not actually going to be any better than the previous neighbours who'd just moved out.. Pot luck there

My Wife (who barely goes outside ever) likes close neighbours because she 'feels safe' if anything ever goes wrong. I say they're more likely to murder you in your sleep than help with anything. It's frustrating for me because I'm the one who experiences all this stuff and she doesn't believe me and thinks I have the problem.. But anyhow, it's all coming to an end very soon thank God

We'll be paying more in mortgage repayments and upkeep/yardwork is a lot more in the new house but I really don't care. I have plenty of free time to do it and life's too short to skimp on enjoyment

I hate my current house. It's a poorly constructed 1940s SFH in a dense neighborhood. It has a bad floor plan and poor insulation (even still, after having insulation blown into the walls and ceilings). I can't use the back deck because it bakes in the afternoon sun. There's no room on the lot to plant shade trees or shrubs. The home is on a street that cars use to cut through the neighborhood. Five years ago my immediate neighbor sold his house and the new owners keep pets in the back yard that are loud and annoying, which sucks because I still work full time, mostly from home.

After that sob story you might be wondering why I don't move. I live in Seattle. The only way I can change my housing situation is to move an hour or more out of town due to the hot housing market. I've done my homework. I've been looking for another house for 5 years (since the noisy neighbors moved in). So for now I'm stuck here.

Sorry for the whining, but housing is a sore spot for me at the moment. It feels incredibly therapeutic to get that all off my chest. You guys are great listeners. :)

Attachments

• IMG20180804065743.jpg
    IMG20180804065743.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Yes it's an incredible place. We move in 6 weeks and am bookmarking this page to snap some pics once we get in. It's a stark contrast to the place we've called home for 8-9 years now.

Actually had the worst cyclone I've ever experienced hit head on early this year so most of our trees are gone now and I feel like we're living literally with the neighbours. We see everything each other does now and because it's hot here people basically live outside

Stay tuned!

I think 5 acres of manicured private gardens and a resort style pool would be my "dead and gone to heaven" house, if I had a gardener of course!

Any pics?

Not for everyone but to me that sounds absolutely magnificent, congratulations!

In your own opinion, do you think that most people are too afraid to live like this (ie: far from employment and stores etc?) I think most people would secretly love living this way but are also probably afraid of yard work, not working etc etc plus most have kids

I find it all very interesting and a very authentic way to live

Sure, I guess. I like it a lot.

I designed it, I built it, and I have lived in it for 12 years. :)

It has been extremely affordable.

We bought two parcels of forest land, one for $350/acre and other for $900/acre with river frontage.

I bought a steel building 'kit' that I assembled myself, it is a 2400 sq ft airplane hanger, that I modified a lot. We have radiant heated flooring, we heat with a combination of firewood and solar-thermal. Our home is on solar-power. All total our home and acreage has cost me about $150k. Our property taxes run $800/year.

We have 150 acres of dense forest, so no neighbors, just peace, and wildlife.

That makes sense.

We didn’t have enough closet space but it has 4 bedrooms. They added the master bedroom so it was attached to a tiny bedroom. We turned that Little room into a walk-in closet.
Wonderful idea! Like you, I truly appreciate having lots of closet space so we think alike on this. :D

My house used to be a 3 bedroom home, but the prior owners removed the wall between two of the bedrooms to make a gigantic master bedroom. So now my house is a 2 bedroom home.

Then, they used some of that extra square footage in the newly enlarged master bedroom, for three very large double door closets for that bedroom. I have TONS of closet space in there, and to me, this is a great feature.
Some people like rural life and some don’t.
+1
For example, I'm a city girl, all the way. I am glad he likes his home in the forest, and it is uplifting to read about how much he likes it. But I prefer living in town.

Not for everyone but to me that sounds absolutely magnificent, congratulations!

... In your own opinion, do you think that most people are too afraid to live like this (ie: far from employment and stores etc?) I think most people would secretly love living this way but are also probably afraid of yard work, not working etc etc plus most have kids

I find it all very interesting and a very authentic way to live

My career was mostly at-sea focused on nuclear weapons targeting and support, for shore-duty I served as an MP.

For my retirement I wanted to watch things grow. So I have re-branded myself as an organic farmer.

It is an extremely in-expensive lifestyle. But for most people it would require a great deal of labor. I have my pension, so I get to skip out on the hard labor parts.

Maine is the oldest state, with the highest percentage of retirees. The US Census track migration patterns, and we get over 100,000 retirees a year coming here. People throughout New England come here as tourists for years, and once they get a pension many of them come here to settle down.

I am only 20 minutes from the big box stores. You are right about employment though. Young adults flee Maine as soon as they can, there is no economy here.

I do not have any real 'yard' to maintain, step away from our house and the forest canopy begins.

This is the greatest place for raising children. Hiking, hunting, fishing, kayaking, trapping, snow shoing, sledding, we can do all this and more without leaving our property.

Most of our neighbors have a strong sense of independence, they 'WANT' to be on their own.

:)

If the market is hot then you will be selling at a good price too, is this right? It's all fairly relative in local markets buying and selling.

You are correct, I have decent equity in my current home (which is paid for) and would benefit on the selling side. However, there are insane bidding wars on homes and they are selling $100k over list in many cases which makes the purchasing process a nightmare. Luckily signs are pointing to the market slowing, so there’s hope On the horizon.

I am truly sorry about your wackado neighbor.

Hmmm. My house is a bit small and a bit shabby. The overhead on it (due to property tax, insurance, utilities, is high). That is not to say that it is worth all that much. (Sort of the opposite of the Prop 13 folks in California with their low property taxes and high house value.) It sits on a small lot, and I have grumpy neighbors. On both sides. Structurally, it is not my dream home.

On the other hand, I do appreciate having a roof over my head. It is near State owned land with trails leading to parks. We can drive to the beach. The neighborhood is very cute. The mortgage is paid off. My family is there.

If I came home, and it was gone, I would be perturbed.

We will have to move after we retire due to the HCOL. :( I did tell DH that I would want to stay for one year after we retire just to spend some time, uninterrupted by work, enjoying it before we leave.

Our home (20 years now) was quite affordable for our income, but we have liked it a lot. We have remodeled the kitchen and master bath to make it even more to our liking. We thought that with RE, we would move and build our total dream house (a timber frame), but just do not think we want to spend that much. Instead, we are going to remodel the family room in a timber frame style for 7-8% of the cost.

I love my home! My late ex and I built it ourselves. Later when we divorced I kept the house and added a basement apartment so I could keep it. Almost lost it in 2010 but got creative with funds and managed to retire early and I am still in the same place!
If and when I ever need in home care I have a basement apartment for a caregiver to live in :)
House sits on 5 wooded private acres and I am constantly changing the house around, it's my favorite hobby and a constant source of creativity. I'ts a home not a house :)

We love many things about our home, but not everything.

Our house is 3500 sq ft on a half-acre with 2 driveways and 3 garages. The neighborhood has large lots, rolling hills, and many old trees giving pleasant views from all angles. There's a golf course across the street but we don't play. We've lived here for 35 years and renovated most of the house entirely to our liking (we may need a stair lift if our mobility deteriorates). The taxes are about $2500/yr (~1% of assessed value) and utilities are reasonable.

Although the neighborhood is very pleasant, we are located amid less affluent neighborhoods and some industrial areas. The nearby area (and being in central Va.) keeps house values relatively low. The local schools are not highly rated (perhaps due to many ESL students) though they are part of a very good school system. Crime is low. Public transportation is non-existent and nothing is within easy walking distance. Everything is within easy driving distance and traffic is rarely a problem. I enjoy driving. Overall, the neighborhood is great for retirees who are able and willing to drive. Most of our neighbors are elderly.

We share the house with a daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren (2 and 5 yo boys). We love them all dearly and enjoy the stimulation. There is enough space, including 2 kitchens and 4 sitting areas, that we are definitely not tripping over each other. We all cross paths frequently but maintain nearly separate households. DW loves to garden and son-in-law maintains the lawn. Sharing the house has advantages for all.

Our greatest concern is how the grand kids will adapt to the schools and the relative absence of nearby playmates. My wife and I can easily afford to maintain the house but it will be far more space than we need if our daughter moves away. Anyway, we love our home for now.

Had our house built in 1991. Approx. 2800 sf feet. I'm ready to move to a different state for better weather, lower re taxes and smaller home. My wife not so much. She's sentimental and I am not.

We currently live in an affordable abode. I call it my "for now" home.

- Not sure this is where we would live long-term
- Met our minimal needs
- Townhome living allows us to travel with minimal effort...lock and leave and sometimes I'm gone 2 months straight.
- Contemplating 55+ community but we are not old enough so this fills the gap
- Allowed for significantly less WR (given the 50-year retirement thought we should start out slow)

My goal is 5 years, who knows if we will make it, but 2 years in, so far so good.

Davebarnes, adore your interior! May I ask where you are located?
Love our condo because it is in NYC, where I want to be. Not in the choicest of neighborhoods, but that is why we could afford it. I guess "dream" for me still has a relationship with reality.

We have three of them and like them all. We own all three free and clear. We are currently at our house in Switzerland. It is a triplex with 3 3/2 units. We have the middle unit and rent out the other two. Plus it has a large basement with a wine tasting room, sauna, workshop, and laundry. It sits a one acre lot overlooking Lake Geneva, the Alps, and the University of Lausanne. We just finished installing new hardwood floors throughout. Some pictures attached..

Sigh - I LOVE Switzerland and if I had much more in my portfolio would look at having a small place there...I currently live in AZ and have a great house with the floor plan I love and an unobstructed view of the eastern mountains. I would live 6 mos in Europe (CH!) and six months in AZ....

Gorgeous house!

Sigh - I LOVE Switzerland and if I had much more in my portfolio would look at having a small place there...I currently live in AZ and have a great house with the floor plan I love and an unobstructed view of the eastern mountains. I would live 6 mos in Europe (CH!) and six months in AZ....

Gorgeous house!

It's very expensive in Switzerland and this area in particular. The rental income of 6231 CHF monthly covers all expenses and funds improvements and expenses while we are here. My FIL gave us this property. He gave a home to each of his three daughters which was very generous of him. He bought the home in 1992 for 1.44M CHF and put about 400K CHF into improvements. It would sell for about 4.8M-5.2M CHF today ($4.9M-5.3M USD). When the hot hazy weather clears, I'll post pictures of the amazing views of Lake Geneva and the Alps.

This is a great question, and I'm really enjoying reading the variety of responses here. I would say no I don't love our home, but I do like it well enough, and I love our location for about half of the year (late fall/winter/spring).

Our house is a relatively small "lock and leave" 1800 sf. It is the perfect size for us; we use every room daily except the guest bedroom, which does get used about once per week and really comes in handy several weeks per year. On the downside, the interior is just meh, no fancy features and it doesn't get a lot of natural light inside. It has no real yard, just natural desert and a patio, and unfortunately it is rather close to neighbors (luckily we have good neighbors so far). It's also in a neighborhood where you unfortunately need a car to get to grocery stores and restaurants. However, it has beautiful sunset and city lights views, is close to a preserve for hiking, and we have wildlife (bobcats, javelina, coyotes, even an occasional deer) come through the wash behind the house regularly, which is a thrill.

I would live 6 mos in Europe (CH!) and six months in AZ....

Me too, if only we were allowed to stay that long in the Schengen zone! We travel, so we like that our house is low-maintenance. Our trips are sometimes a month or more and we typically pick an airbnb in a location that is the opposite of our suburban home -- usually an apartment with a lot of charm/character right in the middle of a busy historic city with good summer weather, walkable to everything. It's a nice balance of both worlds. Usually towards the end of each trip, we are ready to come home and be introverted desert-dwelling hermits again. :cool:

I am convinced there is no perfect home. The pros of this one far outweigh the cons for us, but our lifestyle wouldn’t work for everyone. We will probably stay here for the rest of our lives. YMMV

Totally agree with this statement - every home will have pros and cons (well, maybe excepting W2R's dream home!) and often you won't know the cons until you've moved in and lived there a while. For now we are completely content with our situation and I don't see us moving anytime soon.

Reactions: W2R
Back
Top Bottom