Do you think Dow 18,000 was the bottom?

I don't think so.

I think market reaction to unemployment figures this week will be telling. Are those priced in at the current valuation-we're about to find out.

Earnings season is coming....it's going to be ugly. (wait until after Apple reports they only sold 1/3 the iPhones they planned to.)

Among a handful of other drivers, I think a lot comes down to Italy.

If they can really get the lid on it and restart their economy, then yes, I think we've put in a bottom. Its a leading indicator.

If they can't get it under control in the next 10 days, then we may take another down leg as there isn't a viable model for other western economies to follow.

Is the U.S. even selling any cars? Nobody is driving!

When we start talking about the significant decline in new infections, and a real date to reopen the country, I would expect to see a rebound in the market. But until that happens I would not be at all surprised if it continues to go down a few thousand more points.

I don't think anyone can say with certainty where the bottom is. Of course it depends a lot on how much worse things get and how much of that is already priced in. I fear there is still some possible downside that isn't priced in yet because we can't know how bad it can get. How much downside is anyone's guess.

IMO the best we can do is position our portfolio where one thinks best keeping in mind there are a lot of unknowns still to be answered. Time will answer all, but I don't see how we can know much before that point. A lot is still to be determined.

Among a handful of other drivers, I think a lot comes down to Italy.

If they can really get the lid on it and restart their economy, then yes, I think we've put in a bottom. Its a leading indicator.

If they can't get it under control in the next 10 days, then we may take another down leg as there isn't a viable model for other western economies to follow.

10 days? If that is your timeline, abandon all hope.

I’m used to seeing a W shape in big bear markets - i.e. a retest of the prior low. Sometimes it goes lower, sometimes it doesn’t. The process usually takes a while.

Not to get the novel COVID-19 is more important now then trying to time the market.

I don't know about the market bottom
but we haven't reached the bottom of bad news yet.

A lot of people misunderstand that they only need to lock down for 14 days (the quarantine period from the cruiseship refugees). Restaurants/businesses were originally told "early April". When people and businesses realize its going to be May/June... or when the 2nd wave comes around... or a few more crazies try to ram ships with a freight train (I almost misspelled fright train) things could get a little weird.

The problem with the fed printing and buying securities is there is no longer any price discovery. Bad news? Print more! So who knows how long that works... until it doesn't.

I will let you know in about 3 weeks, My crystal ball cracked, so I am making another one with a 3 D printer. Its a slow process, even with the printer going 24 / 7.

If the models that show the peak deaths in NYC in two weeks are correct (see my sig) then around that time may be the bottom. And likely lower than now.

We aren’t bending the curve yet. Lots more bad news to come.

We aren’t bending the curve yet. Lots more bad news to come.

Every USA curve I've looked at seems to be bending starting about 4 to 6 days ago. Perhaps that is due to the prior weeks being artificially steep due to the ramp-up in testing. FWIW, you must look at logarithmic curves to have any idea of the progress. There are far too many linear plots around, which are meaningless in tracking progress.

One can only hope.

Every USA curve I've looked at seems to be bending starting about 4 to 6 days ago. Perhaps that is due to the prior weeks being artificially steep due to the ramp-up in testing. FWIW, you must look at logarithmic curves to have any idea of the progress. There are far too many linear plots around, which are meaningless in tracking progress.

Dr Birx (sp?) on the Task Force today said emphatically that we are not bending the curve. The curve below shows us perfectly tracking Italy.

Attachments

• 4DBF0F8A-C6BF-4AED-8632-6B2E9C6A6F42.jpg
    4DBF0F8A-C6BF-4AED-8632-6B2E9C6A6F42.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
I expect a retest of the lows. We could break the lows.

Be ready. Make investing decisions with a long time horizon. They usually work out best.

The most eminent doctors and scientists cannot tell us with any certainty what this wild virus will do. Thus, I do not see how anyone can predict what things that depend on the virus will do.

Back
Top Bottom