Does Anyone Else Wish We Would Enter a Bear Market?

Last time I was this itchy - October 87 after the drop went 100% stock in my 401k contributions. That was relatively short and went back to 60/40.

My pessimistic side worries about the 1966 to 1982 'flat' stretch I endured when first starting.

heh heh heh - that would put me at age 92 and 42 years of ER. :facepalm:

I don’t wish a bear market. But we are now in a Bear market after a 30%+ drop. And we may go into a hopefully ‘short’ recession as millions are losing their jobs.

I agree. Our finances can withstand a bear market or even a recession. But many others cannot. That is I do not wish one. But since we are in one, I just hope it is not longer that the average bear markets we have dealt with.

Certainly happy for my children. The market was getting to be a pretty expensive and risky place to buy into. Now if we can get the real estate market to follow suit we would be good. This may happen here for several reasons: people will now feel less flush with money, some of the off-shore money may dry up for various reasons and possibly the virus may open up some housing. Interest rates were already ridiculously low so I don't know if the recent easing is going to make a big difference on the up side.

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine? On top of the losses in the stock market and even Bonds you want us to lose money on real estate too! C'mon, have a heart.... Next my tenants will be out of work from Covid and stop paying rent and income will dry up. Glad things are looking up for your children....:facepalm:

Regarding the opening up of Real Estate you mention, possibly you are alluding to the millions who may die, mostly seniors :mad:, Perhaps you are pleased that at least Social Security may be more secure...?

Well, I did a bunch of Roth conversions last Thursday, and another big bunch today. Uncle Sam sure took a screwin' on those taxes...

<Insert Sad Trombone Sounds>

They were in-kind I presume. Smart thinking. I’ve been wanting to do some serious conversions for years. I just have too much in the IRA but the taxes were just hard to swallow. If you have a positive outlook that stocks will recover then conversions are truly a silver lining to this mess.

I agree. Our finances can withstand a bear market or even a recession. But many others cannot. That is I do not wish one. But since we are in one, I just hope it is not longer that the average bear markets we have dealt with.

Yeah, we can also stand a bear market, but feel very bad for people being laid off. My hope is for Congress to enact a temporary universal basic income for people to survive before we have looting and social unrest. Hopefully this pandemic will peak soon and disappear

Aren't you just a ray of sunshine? On top of the losses in the stock market and even Bonds you want us to lose money on real estate too! C'mon, have a heart.... Next my tenants will be out of work from Covid and stop paying rent and income will dry up. Glad things are looking up for your children....:facepalm:

Regarding the opening up of Real Estate you mention, possibly you are alluding to the millions who may die, mostly seniors :mad:, Perhaps you are pleased that at least Social Security may be more secure...?
Thanks. I try my best. ;)

We live in a place where real estate prices have been driven out of the reach of much of the local young population by off-shore money which may be reduced once global travel restrictions become more common and established individuals taking advantage of low interest rates. Local governments have already been trying to address this with tax solutions. I don't want anyone to lose money and if you have been in real estate or the stock market for the last 12 years you have definitely not lost money. In fact, we have made money hand over fist with the help of artificially low interest rates. People have been saying for some time that the piper would have to be paid. The slowdown, lockdown won't last forever and the jobs will still be there. In fact, this may be the kind of shock we need to see that maybe it wasn't the best idea to offshore all those manufacturing jobs and become dependent on foreign production for so many vital things. Time will tell of course.

Oh and where I live, social security is not in any jeopardy - different funding model.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom