Down Day in the Market !

3 Civics so far > 1 Accord. :)

No more. I am going to send the cash somewhere I cannot touch.

Dow up more than 500, down to 366 now. Man, that's quick. You blink you miss it.

Perhaps, but where is the balance? We can all give away most of our money to wretched souls and get by on less. Where does it stop?

Beefed up my DAF last year, but I’ll be giving more later when I’m not able to spend so much on myself because I’m too old to travel or get sick, or whatever.

Oh, where are we? Yes, where's the balance? That's always the problem.

On one hand, I have the pleasure of the nice and comfortable flight seats. On the other hand, the happy thought of knowing the miserable orphans, more like abandoned, in the 3rd-world orphanages that we support are getting a bit of clothes and food. Can I have both? Maybe.

"A conscience is what hurts when all your other parts feel so good." -- Steven Wright

Last edited:
LOL! >>> Love that phrase. That mug of beer is what we paid for but when the foam settles is what we have left. LOL
Who salted my beer?

That was a strong bounce off the S&P500 200dma. However, to me this means it will be tested again in the not so distant future, and we’ll see if it holds.

That will be the true test.

You talked like a chartist. :)

But I agree that we are not out of the woods. The recovery today, while relieving to see, is small compared to the loss yesterday. Most stocks on the S&P go up, so there's broad buying. Heck, even bitcoin is up.

Headline reads Investors say were getting back to normal. Is that the old normal or the new normal? Is there any such thing?

Is there something exciting happening in the market?

3 Civics so far > 1 Accord. :)

No more. I am going to send the cash somewhere I cannot touch.

Is that what you bought back into today? I'm saving my dry powder for now.

Everybody counts it on the way up and is a genius. Counts it on he way down and attaches it to things. You either are a believer or you're not. If you aren't get out. If you are, believe in our economy and its resiliency. In the long run it all works out assuming he next generation has the motivation to carry on the "cause"

Is that what you bought back into today? I'm saving my dry powder for now.

No. One on Monday, one on Wed, and the last today. Only the one today is in the green.

Still have a lot more dry powder, but need to put it away. It's tough to sit on my hands. Bull or bear market, there's always a stock that I like to get.

PS. I need to go through my "inventory" and see what AA I will have with the shares coming via assigned options a week from now. If stock AA is too high, I will sell into rising market to reduce. If market drops, I will hold and try not to buy more. :)

Last edited:
No. One on Monday, one on Wed, and the last today. Only the one today is in the green.

Still have a lot more dry powder, but need to put it away. It's tough to sit on my hands. Bull or bear market, there's always a stock that I like to get.

PS. I need to go through my "inventory" and see what AA I will have with the shares coming via assigned options a week from now. If stock AA is too high, I will sell into rising market to reduce. If market drops, I will hold and try not to buy more. :)

You need to go fishing for a few months where there is no internet service. LOL Thanks

I have been watching the market minute by minute for this whole move. My gut feeling is this is something major. I hope I am wrong. Waves of waterfall drops and climax selling pausing and then repeating. Very thin markets, any up moves are swatted down with unrelenting swipes. The up move on Friday afternoon was very vertical and unconvincing to me. I fear the worst may be ahead of us.

Hopefully I am a contrary indicator and we go back to the parabolic rise.

I have been watching the market minute by minute for this whole move. My gut feeling is this is something major. I hope I am wrong. Waves of waterfall drops and climax selling pausing and then repeating. Very thin markets, any up moves are swatted down with unrelenting swipes. The up move on Friday afternoon was very vertical and unconvincing to me. I fear the worst may be ahead of us.

IMHO these wild swings up & down are program trading. Us retail investors are along for the ride. I don't think the swings are Mom & Pop unloading their nest egg to go to cash/bitcoin. I think the trading houses are exploiting very very small arbitrage points. And they may all be trying to leverage the same thing/fund/point. I think AI is running this thing

Sucks. But makes great headlines

Hopefully I am a contrary indicator and we go back to the parabolic rise.
I don't need parabolas.

A nice 6% slope would be fine.

It really has been a while that we've had a patience testing correction.

I must admit that I do not understand what is driving the violent swings in the market this past week. It seems that a derivative security designed to respond to changes in volatility is actually driving that volatility. And, in an even more bizarre set of circumstances, driving the trading value of actual equities whose changes are the measure of that volatility.

Yes, I know that P/Es have advanced sharply recently and that interest rates have recently spiked. Absent other things, that might drive a correction in the market until we get values more in line with underlying fundamentals. But that still doesn't explain the unprecedented volatility.

Given that I don''t know why things are happening, I do not feel I have adequate knowledge to formulate a response. So I am sitting tight. I am still as rich as I was at Thanksgiving, which was good enough then and still good enough now.

Those are all signs of derivative investments misbehaving and speculators having margin calls. It disrupts normal trading, but will probably work itself out in a few weeks or months.

Not that the market won’t still go down. Just the behavior you have seen is not in and of itself ominous.

Last edited:
Something baffling I noticed is usually on a sell off "safe havens" like Treasuries, gold, and short term notes should rise. But this time none of these are going higher. The 10 year seems to be steady at 2.85%. Gold is down. Rates are down very slightly. I guess no one is in a panic yet.

Back
Top Bottom