DRiPs?

"If I had drips now I would only keep the ones giving discounts on purchase + no fees to purchase and dump the rest into an ETF or fund of my liking."

- very well said on this point. Some of these drips charge up to 5 bucks on optional cash purchases, which I would avoid since sending in 50 bucks a month would be a killer. That said many have no fees. It certainly isnt difficult to find quality utilities, banks, pharma, consumer and food stocks, and reits with no fees. Many of the reits have discounts on dividend reinvestment, also.

You also have to look at the brokerages, some only offer reinvesment on full shares (most dont offer on fractional and if they do, your brokerage fees are usually higher like TD Waterhouse). NOTE that dividend reinvestment is a big boost in total return.

Another point on drips is that it has to be fun for you. You have to keep the annual statement on each in a file and it helps to have a spreadsheet to add your cost basis. Also, selling parts of your holding can be a pain on figuring your cost basis, but there are ways around (sell the entire position and make sure it is all in a long term capital gains rate).

What I do when the drips start fees, is to have the shares issued and deposit in my brokerage account with free reinvestment.

http://www.dripinvesting.org/Boards/Boards.asp

fyi, is an excellent site to discuss drips.

maddy

Good link.

Yep - ya gotta love em - er ah hate em every year at tax time - the div info, any cash mergers, etc.

Thanks for correcting my mistake Ben and Martha.

The book I got the idea from is going in the garbage on Monday.

Mike

Ok, I'm just learning the "new" concept of Dividend Investing and DRiPs have been reviewed here.  I was wondering what your thoughts were on the ETF (DVY) Dow Jones Select Dividend Index that seems to be a basket of 34 stocks comprised of the DJIA that pay dividends.

Obviously that would help tremendously with paperwork that everyone seems to convey here, but would that be a great option other than DRiPs?  I'm going to be purchasing more books on the subject of Dividend Investing.

I'm 33.  Thanks guys.

Back
Top Bottom