Et Tu, Bloomberg?

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Looks like Bloomberg has gone subscription. They did a revamp of the website and the editor announced new subscription packages, but I didn’t realize that applied even to their basic news page. The minimum subscription is $10 per month.

I like Bloomberg news and prefer subscription over advertiser driven, but not sure I want to give up another for this. Time to reassess (again).

That's too bad I really like Bloomberg and VERIZON just deleted them from their TV lineup. Fortunately we have a local Bloomberg radio station. I think Bloomberg radio is not available on any of the free radio streams.
EDIT: Looks like 34.99/mo after a 6 mo trial for 9.99/mo. Yikes!

Last edited:
I'm not a huge fan of the subscription model, but I do understand the reasoning.

I think the problem is they don't understand that the world has changed.

It used to be people subscribed to one or two newspapers, and of course free OTA TV. So the price of a monthly newspaper subscription could be fairly substantial.

Now everyone is accustomed to getting news from many sources. Paying $35 a month each to multiple different news outlets just isn't going to work for most people.

Can you get around the "X number of free articles/month" by using the "incognito" feature of your browser (that works for the NY Times, which limits even registered users to 5 free articles/month)

Nickle and dimed into poverty. I subscribed the the NYT about a year ago. What got me to join were the user comments to the articles that I found interesting. Over the past 3 or 4 months I've noticed less and less articles had user comments, so I decided to pull the plug and cancel my subscription. Unlike other news source comments sections, the Times reads every comment before allowing it to be posted. Of course, this led to a great, mature comment section where you didn't get all that childish jibberish I've gotten so used to.

Maybe they've cut back on comment reviewers to save a nickle. Let's see, now that I've cancelled, I have one right here in my pocket....:)

BTW, the digital-only subscription is truly a bargain at $4/month for students. I used my daughter's college email to qualify. She got some use out of it too, but very limited.

I don't read bloomberg articles, but I do sometimes watch their TV coverage. If it's no longer available via their web site, it can be streamed from youtube.

If they shut that down, then I won't be consuming bloomberg content anymore; I'm not going to pay for it.

you can watch Bloomberg tv in 30 minutes increments with an incognito or inprivate window. I have 2 tabs and can start watching the second one after about 29 minutes and get another 30 minutes each time.

I watched Bloomberg some when I was a cordcutter. But mainly watched the Nightly Business report on PBS for my daily recap. Got to where I watched very little of Bloomberg. Plenty of business news on the internet. And of course if it's on the net......you know it's true. ;)

I'm not a huge fan of the subscription model, but I do understand the reasoning.

I think the problem is they don't understand that the world has changed.

It used to be people subscribed to one or two newspapers, and of course free OTA TV. So the price of a monthly newspaper subscription could be fairly substantial.

Now everyone is accustomed to getting news from many sources. Paying $35 a month each to multiple different news outlets just isn't going to work for most people.

Exactly. I would gladly pay 35/mo to consume all the possible subscription streams that I find valuable....none of them individually is worth anywhere near $35. There's a limit to how much I can consume. I think a lot of these still have have ads, anyway.

Looks like Bloomberg has gone subscription. They did a revamp of the website and the editor announced new subscription packages, but I didn’t realize that applied even to their basic news page. The minimum subscription is $10 per month.

I like Bloomberg news and prefer subscription over advertiser driven, but not sure I want to give up another for this. Time to reassess (again).

The $10/mo only applies for 6 months. Then it goes to $35 which is not acceptable to me.

I like Bloomberg a lot. It has interesting business news and even good bond market comments.

I'm considering switching my $10/mo NY Times to Bloomberg. Our local paper covers several NY Times articles. I'm Bloomberg will continue somehow to offer $10/mo as they find poor acceptance at the $35 level.

Can you get around the "X number of free articles/month" by using the "incognito" feature of your browser (that works for the NY Times, which limits even registered users to 5 free articles/month)

Thanks for the tip!

you can watch Bloomberg tv in 30 minutes increments with an incognito or inprivate window. I have 2 tabs and can start watching the second one after about 29 minutes and get another 30 minutes each time.

Firefox "New Private Window" seems to work on Bloomberg. But I haven't tried it a lot yet.

"Et Tu, Bloomberg?"

Reminds me of this song, "Mi Manchi" (I miss you), sung by Andrea Bocelli.

The lyrics has this phrase "E tu, e tu", which is in Italian, spelled a bit differently than the French words above but with the same meaning.

The $10/mo only applies for 6 months. Then it goes to $35 which is not acceptable to me.

I like Bloomberg a lot. It has interesting business news and even good bond market comments.

I'm considering switching my $10/mo NY Times to Bloomberg. Our local paper covers several NY Times articles. I'm Bloomberg will continue somehow to offer $10/mo as they find poor acceptance at the $35 level.
Thanks. I didn't look past the sign-up price. Like you, at $10 I would consider giving it a go, but not $35. Private browsing seems to work, it doesn't count against the "10 free per month" quota and every new private browser window starts fresh. Still, it's not a practical way to read news.

I go one step farther and set the browser to delete all cookies at close. I close the browser frequently, like whenever I start something different. This kills a lot of trackers, including many of the "X number free" counters.

I do have some sites listed as "exceptions" (sort of a "white list.") This forum, for example. That way the browser remembers my account when I come back. I specifically don't do that with bank and credit card sites. No way I want anyone who might get my laptop to be able to log on as me.

Who care's. We're a bunch of multimillionaires that would never pay for a subscription. All the news is free.

Bloomberg TV was less sensational than CNBC but I got rid of both when cable was cancelled. It was decent business and investment news.
I recently dropped their online feed to Facebook as it was overly political and very biased.

Back
Top Bottom