Fidelity free Turbotax offer

BrianB

Recycles dryer sheets
I logged into Fidelity today and found this:

"Fidelity is pleased to offer you a free federal and state tax return using TurboTax Online Premium, or for $5 use TurboTax Premier desktop download. Select the link below to access your offer."

The offer didn't show up on the home page, but a search for "Turbotax" brought up the offer. I haven't downloaded it yet as we are on the road right now so I don't know what the procedure is.

We are PCG (Private Client Group) account holders. We also meet with our advisor annually (usually in November) but I didn't ask for the offer. I don't know if these factors helped us make the cut, YMMV.

BrianB

Last edited:
Great find!

I looked on the summary page - not there. Then I read the rest of your post, ha ha, and searched on TurboTax in the upper right search box and it had a link!

ETA: OK - downloaded, and after a few snafus with DH credentials on his machine, was able install and launch.

Last edited:
When i searched I saw a $20 discount only - I am not PCG, that's for people with $500k+, right?

I went ahead and did the download, even though we're in a campground with really poor WiFi right now.

If you get the offer the precedure is simple:

- Click on the link to go to the Intuit site.
- Choose the on-line version or the download version. The download is discounted to $5.00 if you are among the lucky ones, or $20 off if you're not.
- Complete the credit card info for the payment ($5.43 for us with Minnesota sales tax)
- Download the file.
- The "key" is sent by e-mail.

Easy-peasy, but again YMMV.

BrianB

So if you choose the download version, it would reside on your PC like the old Disc versions used to do, correct ?

I liked that because all of this year's details would 'pre-load' onto next year's forms. Makes the whole filing process easier each year.

teej1985 said: "When i searched I saw a $20 discount only - I am not PCG, that's for people with $500k+, right?"

I found this Fidelity response to a customer on Reddit:

Premium Services clients who reach $1 million in retail asset households are automatically upgraded to Private Client Group (PCG). Depending on transaction history, this can be as soon as one business day reaching this threshold or as late as the first week of the following month.

Designations like Premium Services and PCG are based on the breadth of our clients’ relationship with us and are a way for us to recognize and thank you for choosing Fidelity. Having your account under our Premium Services team or PCG gives you the ability to work with a financial representative who understands your needs and serves as a point of contact for your relationship with Fidelity. You will also receive access to Fidelity’s thought leadership and local events and seminars.

I don't know if PCG is necessary - or - sufficient to get the better offer. In prior years some posters have said they did not receive the best offer even though they are PCG customers.

BrianB

All I got was an offer to save 20%.

So if you choose the download version, it would reside on your PC like the old Disc versions used to do, correct ?

I liked that because all of this year's details would 'pre-load' onto next year's forms. Makes the whole filing process easier each year.

Yes

I've had the free offer ($5 last year) for at least the last five years, but it's not there now. I'll try again in a couple of days, because sometimes these things take a while to roll out to everyone.

I've had the free offer ($5 last year) for at least the last five years, but it's not there now. I'll try again in a couple of days, because sometimes these things take a while to roll out to everyone.

Yep. Us as well. (last two years, after moving a chunk to fidelity.) I'll wait until after the first of the year before buying downloadable TT or HRBlock elsewhere...

From what I've heard/read on another forum, merely having PCG or more isn't necessarily determinative on this deal.

Did you do the search part?

Good to know about using the Search feature to find the free Turbotax Premiere Online Fed and State offer. I found it too. (Private Client group) Previous 2 years, I didn’t see the free offer but didn’t think to use the Search feature. But I had already purchased the H&R Block Deluxe download for Fed and State on Black Friday special for $19.99 after a cashback offer. It will be my first time using a different software. Next year, perhaps I will be more patient.

First time ever getting this offer (free) from Fidelity. I already purchased H&R Block tax software for 2023 (I've used it for the last 5+ years). Oh well.

I did convert my mega-corp 401K (held at Fidelity) to a rollover IRA in November of 2022. I definately did not get the offer last December (December 22) as I looked for it (prior to buying H&R Block 2022). I guess I am now worthy.

I *might* try out the online version a bit to see how it compares, but don't really want to devote a lot of time on it.

All I got was an offer to save 20%.

That's what mine shows at this time. Have always gotten for free, or $5 download last year. Will wait a bit longer and then contact my guy at Fidelity if it's still only giving 20%.

I don't see it yet either, but agree it may roll out in a few days. Last year I got it as soon as it was available for me and that was on 12/17.

I don't see it yet either, but agree it may roll out in a few days. Last year I got it as soon as it was available for me and that was on 12/17.

That would confirm the rolling release, because last year I got it on the 14th.

If it's only giving you the 20% off, don't take it - you can buy on Amazon right now for less than that discounted price.

Deluxe Desktop
$70 Fidelity (discounted from $80)
$55.99 Amazon

20% for us. However we had an out of the blue call from the local Fido office. We set up a call with the person later this week as there are a few questions we have and want to have a contact for my wife in case something happens to me. Also, want things simpler for her. So, after listening and rejecting sales pitches we will get our questions answered and hit him up for the free /$5 offer. We are in the private client group. They probably just don’t make enough off of us to make the offer. The worst is they say no.

also only see the "20% off" offer after searching even though I'm PCG & got the $5 download last year

will check back next week

Yup we are 20% also and should also be "PCG" if that reddit post is to be believed.....although unclear if personally directed retirement (ex. IRAs) and health savings (ex. HSAs) qualifies for their calculation....googling seems like the tax software is basically the only perk and that Fidelity is very clandestine about the real qualification criteria.

Just the $20 showing up for me as well. I also have no idea what the criteria is, and why the rolling or delayed offering process occurs.

I have taken advantage of the free (or $5) offer for many years but don't see it today - just the 20% off. I am Private Client Group according to my statements but haven't gone to see my rep in a couple of years. Maybe he's mad at me? :mad:

also showing the 20% discount. have received the free offer in the past. one year I did not receive the free offer so I called my rep. he said to go buy it, email the receipt to him and he would credit my account. i will wait and see if it shows up.

Yup we are 20% also and should also be "PCG" if that reddit post is to be believed.....although unclear if personally directed retirement (ex. IRAs) and health savings (ex. HSAs) qualifies for their calculation....googling seems like the tax software is basically the only perk and that Fidelity is very clandestine about the real qualification criteria.

Ours includes IRAs and we were the premium group after rolling my 401k into an Ira. Then after a few months went to PCG. We were on the border and then the bond market drop and we were back in the premium group. Then earlier this year went back into PCG. So I know they include our IRAs and HSA in total. Other than that don’t know the qualification for free TT but I think it also depends on higher cost products and services other than just index funds. Maybe also a secret handshake.

Back
Top Bottom