Financial Literacy Goes South at 60

Hey - don't forget China hard landing, Venezuela collapse, Brazil gov't turmoil, climate change, and that whole thing going on over there..:)

:)Just as I was beginning to get some of this under control, you have to add more w*rk.

Not easy, but somebody's gotta do it.:blush:

The restaurants around here have taken to calculating the tips for 10%, 15%, and 20% for you, printed on the bill, thus taking away even that simple exercise.

Sure but have calculated out the tip, around here all the pre-calculated tips are including the tax !
So you are tipping the taxman effort as well :mad:

This has been bothering me for years - when I first retired, spent a year doing little work, I noticed a slip in my memory - When I went back to work, I noticed that my memory and knowledge is just as sharp in not more sharp then my 25 to 35 year old staff(6)

What worries me, is my young bride who is ten years younger, (been married for 30 years), I have notice that since she turned 50, her mind is starting to slip - its gotten so bad that she will be retiring in July. After 30 years of high pressure work (off shore construction manager) she has very mixed feeling on calling it a career. For the 1st time she will be an Expat wife and we will see how that goes.

It's all very scary. Not only are we likely to lose some of our cognitive abilities with regard to our investments, but we are also likely to become more susceptible to being swindled by dishonest "caregivers", often disguised as family members.
I've seen this played out more than once.
I manage the investments now, DW understands the concepts, but despite how much I hate the idea of paying a trust company a %, we have arranged in our wills that upon the demise of one of us, a portion of the remaining funds will be managed by a trust company, simply because there are members of DW's family I don't trust.
It was an awful thing to have to discuss, as we did our wills together, but reality is reality. I sleep better at night knowing that at least some of the money won't be an easy target.

Her age of 50 sure makes a person suspect hormone levels for this.

I didn't experience much in the way of menopausal symptoms (I am not sure I even know what a hot flash is), but many women do, and "brain fog" is one that is often mentioned.

What worries me, is my young bride who is ten years younger, (been married for 30 years), I have notice that since she turned 50, her mind is starting to slip - its gotten so bad that she will be retiring in July. .

My window of financial acumen / acuity seems to have been from about 50 to 66.

Now we're in trouble.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

My wife and I claim many times we told something to the other and it was "forgotten". The issue is who forgot? Did I forget to tell her or did she forget what I said?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

My wife and I claim many times we told something to the other and it was "forgotten". The issue is who forgot? Did I forget to tell her or did she forget what I said?

My wife always says it was me who forgot to tell her.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom