Join Early Retirement Today

Financial "Success/Secrets" you only share with strangers but not families/friends
Old 08-02-2022, 11:29 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Financial "Success/Secrets" you only share with strangers but not families/friends

What are some of the financial "Success/Secrets" you can only share with strangers here but not families/friends because the risk of envy, jealousy or unwanted attention. For me, that is: I made $4m last year. I am hella happy about it but it seems socially unacceptable to share that with friends or even relatives because it will always appear as 'showing off' somehow...

What's yours?
HawaiiShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2022, 05:51 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We don't share any financial info with friends or family. Nobody knows our net worth.

Folks can see that we are both retired in our mid-fifties, but no details are given.
mrfeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiShrimp View Post
What are some of the financial "Success/Secrets" you can only share with strangers here but not families/friends because the risk of envy, jealousy or unwanted attention. For me, that is: I made $4m last year. I am hella happy about it but it seems socially unacceptable to share that with friends or even relatives because it will always appear as 'showing off' somehow...

What's yours?
If you shared that with my relatives they would want $4m it is that simple. They would not view it as showing off but happy you told them.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
We don't share any financial info with friends or family. Nobody knows our net worth.

Folks can see that we are both retired in our mid-fifties, but no details are given.
Same here. Although we are now in our mid 60's.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:31 AM   #5

Why would I share financial information with a stranger? In fact, I make some effort to cloak it. Much of our charitable donations are done anonymously -- especially to local charities. I do not use a local estate lawyer and don't bank locally.
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 06:36 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
Why would I share financial information with a stranger? In fact, I make some effort to cloak it. Much of our charitable donations are done anonymously -- especially to local charities. I do not use a local estate lawyer and don't bank locally.
+1
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:24 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

What's yours?
income, savings rate, and net worth are best kept quiet in the real life
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:43 AM   #8

I don't really have any success secrets, we did it the slow boring way and I don't really discuss this with anyone. I help my Mom and sis with their money matters so we talk in general.
Old 08-03-2022, 07:45 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I don't have financial success, so I have no financial success secrets.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 07:53 AM   #10

It is a great paradox, isn’t it, HawaiiShrimp? From the Jamestown Colony’s founding in 1603, this whole society was set up for people to make money. We dress up the folklore with the supposed religious freedom exercised by the utterly intolerant, later Plymouth Colony, but this place was founded for people to have a chance to get rich. Can we talk about it when someone actually does? Oh, no. Can’t do that.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:03 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

When you look relatively young and you aren’t working, its hard to hide your early retirement success. I have only had one person ask for more details, an older brother and when I told him what we had, he got real quiet. Most don’t ask or likely care. All that matters is our personal well being and contentment.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:11 AM   #12

Quote:

What's yours?

Most folks here use the "Share Your FIRE Milestones" thread for items like this .
Old 08-03-2022, 08:28 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
+1000. I am a firm believer and a member of the church of "stealth wealth"
Old 08-03-2022, 08:34 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

"I talk about money, but not the amount" - a billionaire once told me this.
TOOLMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:34 AM   #15

We are discreet with all but our oldest DD, as she is laser focused on FIRE, and already ahead of where we were at her age, and loves talking financial strategies more than almost any other topic. But crickets anywhere else.

We had a pretty awful and awkward moment when we bought our current home a few years back. After escrow closed, the listing agent blanketed the neighborhood with postcards announcing that our house had closed for all cash. As if that were somehow a reflection of her stellar selling abilities? So p#ssed about that. Still p#ssed actually, though I'm sure it's been long forgotten by the neighbors.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:35 AM   #16

One day we showed up in our park with 2 new cars. Someone made a comment, and I mumbled something about car payments. In truth, this was the first car in DW's life that she did not have to make car payments on.
I have been gifting our 4 sons the max (16K) each. They have to be really dense when they know I am gifting $64K a year.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:43 AM   #17

We view it like we view faith.

It is very personal. We see no reason to share it with anyone. We do not wear it on our sleeve.

Retired in our 50's

Our lifestyle does not reflect our net worth. That is how we like it. Neither of our children have a clue. If they did......

No secrets. Mostly a common sense approach to living, spending, investing, and reaching out to grab opportunities that pass in front of us.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I have been gifting our 4 sons the max (16K) each. They have to be really dense when they know I am gifting $64K a year.
Isn't the max actually twice that for a couple? Not saying you need to, BTW - just clarifying.
ElizabethT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 08:50 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One day we showed up in our park with 2 new cars. Someone made a comment, and I mumbled something about car payments. In truth, this was the first car in DW's life that she did not have to make car payments on.
Yet you still gift them money?
Old 08-03-2022, 08:50 AM   #20

Quote:
The sons or the strangers in the park?
jebmke is online now   Reply With Quote