Free Turbo tax From Fidelity

Not true. You need 1MIL in all accounts of any type. Almost all my accounts with Fido are retirement.

Not true. I had over $2M in all accounts, and they told me that "my relationship with Fidelity was insufficient".

I keep repeating that because it is so incredible that they would use those exact words, and it still spikes my blood pressure every time I think about it.

Does Schwab offer transfer bonuses? Update - I see from another site that they do apparently have some offers. But they won't give you free Turbotax (which obvously you're not getting from Fidelity, either).

As I wrote earlier in this thread and many times elsewhere, Schwab gave me $2500 to move $1M in from Fidelity.

As I wrote earlier in this thread and many times elsewhere, Schwab gave me $2500 to move $1M in from Fidelity.

Regular brokerage account without any maintenance or management fees?

Or some kind of managed account requiring fees?

Regular brokerage account without any maintenance or management fees?

Or some kind of managed account requiring fees?

As brokerage accounts. But I pay management fees inside their mutual funds, and I've paid them plenty of trading commissions back when they charged them.

I do not pay them any advisory or AUM fees. If that disqualified me for getting the free TT after several years of getting it, I would have understood if they had simply explained it that way. But they were obnoxious and insulting and never did clearly explain how I could make my relationship more "sufficient". When I told this story to the people in the local Fidelity office, they claimed to have no knowledge of the matter.

As for Schwab, my accounts with them are just basic brokerage accounts as well. But their local branch staff contact me frequently and invite me to presentations, which Fidelity never ever did.

Last edited:
I get the free Turbo Tax but I'm beginning to think that Fidelity would be ahead of the game by discontinuing this bonus. For every customer that is glad to get the offer there appears to be one or more customers that are disgruntled because they didn't.

I get the free Turbo Tax but I'm beginning to think that Fidelity would be ahead of the game by discontinuing this bonus. For every customer that is glad to get the offer there appears to be one or more customers that are disgruntled because they didn't.

+1, but still not offer showing

I just downloaded it!

What I did was follow the $20 link from Fidelity, just to see how prices compared because Amazon has a sale, today only.

So if the Fidelity discount didn't result in lower prices I was going to buy from Amazon with the $10 Amazon gift card.

But it shows Deluxe as $40 on the Turbotax site when linked from Fidelity account yet it showed Premier as $0.

So I logged into Intuit and selected it and now it's downloaded, along with receipt for the license code to use during installation.

Now the only problem is, I'm still on Mac OS X 10.13.6.

Argh, going to have to upgrade now!

+1, but still not offer showing

Well, as Gomer would say su-prise, su-prise, su-prise, it magically appeared today. My "advisor" followed up with an email to tell me it was there. Now I feel special again.:angel:

Even if the offer doesn't show up, I would try to search for the $20 off and follow the link there to Fidelity, search for downloads and see if the free Premier version still shows up.

I wonder if the fact that I've gotten it for several years running made the $0 Premier version show up once I followed the link from Fidelity to the Intuit site.

BTW, you can add both the Windows & Mac versions to your order before checking out...you will get different activation codes for each.

I did so this year because last year I only added the Mac version but at that time my Mac system software was too old to run it so I had to purchase a retail Windows version...I run Windows 10 on my Mac via Parallels virtualization software for some Windows-only programs.

Even if the offer doesn't show up, I would try to search for the $20 off and follow the link there to Fidelity, search for downloads and see if the free Premier version still shows up.

I wonder if the fact that I've gotten it for several years running made the $0 Premier version show up once I followed the link from Fidelity to the Intuit site.

That is certainly a possibility. I just went to the normal Turbotax URL, and it still showed the $0 pricing for Premier, although I had it this year so that's not the same case as you. If you're using the same browser as you did previously, it could still be set. So I would just try going to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/ and see if you have it for free, assuming that you had it free previously.

Use TaxHawk instead of TurboTax, it's free for federal returns. I used it last year and I liked it and I plan to use it again next year.

That is certainly a possibility. I just went to the normal Turbotax URL, and it still showed the $0 pricing for Premier, although I had it this year so that's not the same case as you. If you're using the same browser as you did previously, it could still be set. So I would just try going to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/ and see if you have it for free, assuming that you had it free previously.

I had the free link for part of one day on Monday. Gone ever since. However, when I used a link above it showed me the Premier still available to $0. Since we have both PC and Mac, I decided to download the Mac version as I had previously gotten the PC version. Yup....worked for me!:dance:

FYI I got my (belated) holiday card from Abigail today! But there was no Turbotax code inside.

Evidently I don't have enough invested to get a late Christmas card either. Does Schwab offer cards?

Evidently I don't have enough invested to get a late Christmas card either. Does Schwab offer cards?

Don't know, but I did get my quarterly $0.01 statement from Schwab today. Warning, off-topic rant. Feel free to ignore.

Close to a decade ago, I was using Schwab for their high yield checking account and mobile deposit since my bank at the time (Citi) did not have mobile deposit yet. I was not using Schwab for brokerage. I was depositing a bunch of rebate checks from places like Staples that were totally legal (well, some were addressed to my PO box and others to my home address, but they were good checks). Schwab decided they did not like what I was doing and closed my accounts with no advance warning. This obviously annoyed me but what was really bothered me was that I had a second account, jointly with my son, that he used it to get cash while at college, and they closed that one as well. While they sent a check for my account balance (took a couple of weeks), a penny in interest was credited at the end of the month. TO THIS DAY, every quarter I get a statement in the mail from Schwab and since I cannot login and have no interest in stopping them from wasting their money on me, I just get a laugh and shred it each time it shows up.

End rant. But it's why I use Fidelity instead of Schwab.

My daughter has an account with Fidelity that is under $25,000 and she only purchased $3,000 in 2020. She received the free Turbo Tax offer. I think Fidelity made a mistake. Would you still use it?

My daughter has an account with Fidelity that is under $25,000 and she only purchased $3,000 in 2020. She received the free Turbo Tax offer. I think Fidelity made a mistake. Would you still use it?

Do you think Fidelity sent her a hacked version of Turbo Tax?

Do you think Fidelity sent her a hacked version of Turbo Tax?

Nope - I'm sure it's a legit copy!! If I went shopping and found something extra in my bag because the store made a mistake is it OK to keep it!! I guess the best thing to do is ask Fidelity!!

Last edited:
I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying that she (or you) should not use it because she didn't really qualify for it? I know that I certainly would, and I would make sure that I downloaded it before they figured out their mistake. If you feel that it's wrong, don't.

They're not going to come after her to pay for it if they discover their mistake, if that's what you are wondering about.

Last edited:
Nope - I'm sure it's a legit copy!! If I went shopping and found something extra in my bag because the store made a mistake is it OK to keep it!! I guess the best thing to do is ask Fidelity!!

Okay you were going after a different point.

No, that is not the best thing to do, and I cannot imagine what Fidelity would tell you. I will refrain from making any further remarks which may be viewed as derogatory concerning my thoughts on your idea.

Your daughter has the offer on her account. She can get a legal copy of Turbotax. If you/she do not feel comfortable using the offer because she should not qualify for it, just don't use it.

Quite possibly they are giving it to her to inspire her to do more business with them. The cost to Fidelity is very small, much smaller than other costs of attracting business.
Why would you think Fidelity made a mistake :confused:

Quite possibly they are giving it to her to inspire her to do more business with them. The cost to Fidelity is very small, much smaller than other costs of attracting business.
That's not the way it works and i it did they certainly woud not be giving it to a very small customer. There are specific guidelines that they supposedly follow.

They obviously made a mistake or there is more to ths situation than we are being told.

Because the account is so small and not very active it just seems like they made a mistake!!

Back
Top Bottom