Free Turbo tax From Fidelity

2nd year for me, but I couldn’t find a way to download it.

This was already discussed earlier in this thread.

For the download version:

1. Click "Sitemap" toward the bottom of the landing page. Or "File your own taxes" in the top left corner.
2. Scroll down to the "CD/Download Products" section.
3. Click the second item: "TurboTax 2021-2022 CD/Download ....."

Last edited:
The advantage for me with the download is I can work on different scenarios for comparison. I still e-file once I have determined my best scenario.
The scenario comparison is a lot less now after the tax law changes couple years ago, and no longer having W-2 incomes for DW and me.

The advantage for me with the download is I can work on different scenarios for comparison. I still e-file once I have determined my best scenario.

There are certainly benefits to using the download version, and I personally still prefer to use it. My post was merely pointing out that if you have to file multiple states and want to use TT for them, using the online version instead of the download can be a big money saver since all states are free with the Fidelity offer. In fact, even e-filing a single state can be cheaper with the online version.

I only have to file NY taxes, and by state law e-filing is free, so it doesn't cost me anything to file with the download version.

We are "Fidelity Premium Services" and have an assigned advisor. Not sure what the difference is between Premium Services and Private Client Group?

I didn't get the offer and never have. I don't really care since I buy TT as soon as it's available in early November.

When my account size was smaller, we were Premium Services. As it grew it became Private Client and ultimately Active Trader VIP. I do not have a rep and we’ve gotten both the free fed and state now for years.

We are "Fidelity Premium Services" and have an assigned advisor. Not sure what the difference is between Premium Services and Private Client Group?

I didn't get the offer and never have. I don't really care since I buy TT as soon as it's available in early November.

I believe that PCG is $1m or more in assets. Here are the details of the TT offer from the Fidelity site.

Certain covered clients: Private Wealth Management (PWM) client and owns one or more nonretirement account(s) or PCG, Premium, and ATS clients with minimum assets of either: PWI assets of $1,000,000 or more and PI assets of at least $500,000 and own one or more nonretirement account or Nonretirement assets $1,000,000 or more. Applies to Federal returns and one state return only. Cost of additional state returns are the responsibility of the client.

OMG, all this yammering about saving $40. A year.

OMG, all this yammering about saving $40. A year.

All in the same vein of opening new savings accounts for a bonus, taking out new credit cards with a cash bonus offer, getting a rebate. There’s something attractive about getting something for what seems like free, though we all know you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get.

I do like it though.

All in the same vein of opening new savings accounts for a bonus, taking out new credit cards with a cash bonus offer, getting a rebate. There’s something attractive about getting something for what seems like free, though we all know you get what you pay for and you pay for what you get.
I would definitely disagree with you on the "you pay for what you get" piece. If it does cost you when do the deals, then you're doing it wrong, particularly for credit cards.

I would definitely disagree with you on the "you pay for what you get" piece. If it does cost you when do the deals, then you're doing it wrong, particularly for credit cards.

It’s a saying, not anything to get worked up over.
Happy New Year.

I do like it though.

Maybe yes, and maybe no. We as Fido clients are paying for, or Fido is financially benefitting from, that relationship. It is our duty, as clients, to get everything we can for that money. If we don't get our "free" TT, then it is on us. There is no "extra" cost to us for getting TT.

I look at our collective effort to get TurboTax for free from Fidelity as a public service. After all, Intuit has made many ethically questionable choices over the years and continually engages in efforts to obfuscate and even mislead taxpayers.

There is no doubt Fidelity pays them less for a license than any of us would, so this effort of ours actually deprives Intuit of a bit of cash that would otherwise be used to further their goals, which are not all aligned with ours. So, it’s a public service. :)

Back
Top Bottom