Hail Hell

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
We had a hailstorm Saturday morning. We we were on the road at the time and missed all the excitement, but a neighbor posted the photo below showing what hit us. Sunday USAA sent me a text saying they were aware of the hailstorm in our area and provided a link to file a claim. When we got home Monday I took a short stroll on the roof :mad: then started the claims process. Based on my previous experience with hail damage, the roof is toast.

We built this house in 1998 and lost a roof to hail in 2002, 2014, and now we will have to replace it again - an average of every 7 years. My 2% deductible is now up to the $7k range and the out-of pocket costs for another new roof is beginning to smart.

A couple of my neighbors opted for a metal roof but in 2014 I wasn't willing to spend the extra $. This time I'm going to at least get quotes.

Attachments

• Hail 1.jpg
    Hail 1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 749
Dammmmmm! Now that’s what I call HAIL!! Not sure a metal roof, besides not leaking from it, would fare much better...while roof would look like a flattened golf ball.

Would hail the size shown in the picture (looks like a little bigger than a golf ball... perhaps the size of a raquetball?) dent a metal roof?

We had a hailstorm Saturday morning. We we were on the road at the time and missed all the excitement, but a neighbor posted the photo below showing what hit us. Sunday USAA sent me a text saying they were aware of the hailstorm in our area and provided a link to file a claim. When we got home Monday I took a short stroll on the roof :mad: then started the claims process. Based on my previous experience with hail damage, the roof is toast.

We built this house in 1998 and lost a roof to hail in 2002, 2014, and now we will have to replace it again - an average of every 7 years. My 2% deductible is now up to the $7k range and the out-of pocket costs for another new roof is beginning to smart.

A couple of my neighbors opted for a metal roof but in 2014 I wasn't willing to spend the extra $. This time I'm going to at least get quotes.

Wow, given the history of roof damage due to hail, and the length of time that you have lived in that house (and probably will in the future), that sounds like a very good idea.

I wonder if your insurance company would lower your rates due to having a metal roof, if/when you do. Maybe not since your out-of-pocket costs are so high, but one never knows.

Sorry that you got hail damage again, especially while you were on vacation.

Would hail the size shown in the picture (looks like a little bigger than a golf ball... perhaps the size of a raquetball?) dent a metal roof?

Good question. I'm planning on paying a visit to my neighbor down the road to see how his roof weathered the storm - and find out who installed it for him.

BTW, I think the "official" size description is "teacup". Seriously.

We live in the hail belt. I've seen hail storms where they had to call out the snow plows. I've had $1500 in hail damage to my car and my wife has had $9000 worth of damage. On our house we've replaced screens, roof venting, siding.
Hail sucks.

I wonder if your insurance company would lower your rates due to having a metal roof, if/when you do. Maybe not since your out-of-pocket costs are so high, but one never knows.

Yes, if you install an impact resistant roof your insurance co will adjust rates accordingly. However, you must acknowledge in writing you understand they will not pay for cosmetic damage to the roof - AKA dings and dents.

Sorry that you got hail damage again, especially while you were on vacation.

Adding insult to injury, we were on our way to the funeral for my sister-in-law. My brother died 11 years ago and she was being cared for by her niece, who didn't think it important to let us know she was seriously ill until Friday morning. She died that same afternoon and they decided to have a "direct burial" Sunday morning. We had to scramble to make the 400 mile trip in time for her graveside services.

When we got there we learned my SIL had been in hospice care (kidney disease) since January. The niece had also failed to tell us that, even though I had spoken to her a few weeks ago when we discussed a trip to visit my SIL the first week in May. Clueless airhead.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry about about your sister-in-law REWahoo.

Regarding the hail, we've experienced it twice this year. The first time wasn't bad, but the second one lasted for 30 minutes. It started out the size of a quarter, but then became smaller. No damage to our 3 year old roof.

Unfortunately we may get more hail tomorrow night. I'm sure not hoping for 'teacup' hail. :(

Last edited:
Yes, if you install an impact resistant roof your insurance co will adjust rates accordingly. However, you must acknowledge in writing you understand they will not pay for cosmetic damage to the roof - AKA dings and dents.

Adding insult to injury, we were on our way to the funeral for my sister-in-law. My brother died 11 years ago and she was being cared for by her niece, who didn't think it important to let us know she was seriously ill until Friday morning. She died that same afternoon and they decided to have a "direct burial" Sunday morning. We had to scramble to make the 400 mile trip in time for her graveside services.

When we got there we learned my SIL had been in hospice care (kidney disease) since January. The niece had also failed to tell us that, even though I had spoken to her a few weeks ago when we discussed a trip to visit my SIL the first week in May. Clueless airhead.

I’m so sorry.

I'll never forget my first week in Colorado many years ago. It was May, and my brand new car sat out in the parking lot while the worst hailstorm I had ever seen raged for a couple of hours.

Next morning I went out and found the car looking like the surface of a golf ball -- big dimples all over the roof, hood, and trunk. Cheap car (Chevelle) so probably thinner metal than it should have had.

I was beside myself, and called USAA to make an insurance claim. Gave all the details over the phone, and the guy told me that the dents would "heal" themselves over the next few days from expansion/contraction with the warm days and cold nights.

Sure enough, he was right!

Well, I'd think that might be worth it. I mean, really, how often does one scrutinize the roof. OK maybe others do, but I hardly look at mine unless I am wondering how long I've got before it wears out. And, with one of those 50 year roofs I'd have no reason at all to ever bother looking at it.

Agh.. My condolences!! I had hoped/assumed you were having another carefree vacation, touring the country's back roads blissfully in your RV. Sorry that wasn't the case.

Sorry for your troubles !

Could you imagine how hail would sound hitting a metal roof . It would be like living in a war zone.

Wow that is the definition of a bad day. Good luck with the insurance.

We were hit a few times outside of KC. The first was unreal. Softball size hail took out all the windows and cedar siding. It was a mess, worse were the neighborhood animals. Horses stood out in the storm being stuck and standing still. Goats and dogs were not happy.

Mom (from Worcester, Mass) moved with my father to Normangee Texas, just outside of Bryan (think Texas A&M) in 1955. They had a softball size hail storm on a tin roof. She said it sounded like Thor up on the roof with a sledgehammer hammering on the roof for half an hour. I think almost every roof in town, along with windshields, had to be replaced, except for the tin roofs.

She said it was an "interesting" introduction to Texas.

Sorry for your troubles !

Could you imagine how hail would sound hitting a metal roof . It would be like living in a war zone.

OP - look on the bright side, if you had been home, you might be filing a claim for the car as well.

Might want to walk around the house to be sure the siding/flashing/window screens and deck furniture is still all in once piece.
We had hail once and it punched holes in my siding. :eek:

Had golfball hail like that in 2016 .. Insurance had to replace my entire roof. Cost $16,000.

So sorry for your loss. The niece probably was functioning the best she could (even if not up to standards) as a caregiver, and it took up every brain cell she had.

Y
Adding insult to injury, we were on our way to the funeral for my sister-in-law. My brother died 11 years ago and she was being cared for by her niece, who didn't think it important to let us know she was seriously ill until Friday morning.
When we got there we learned my SIL had been in hospice care (kidney disease) since January. The niece had also failed to tell us that,

I read a story by a guy whose motorhome was punctured by baseball-sized hail. And it was not just the roof, but also a side wall as the hail was blown sideways. Yikes. He was a bit west of the Texas hill country.

Sorry for your loss. Try to be easy on the niece. Caregiving can mess up one's head big time.
Hail storms, another reason to enjoy the 'terrable' climate I live in.

My condolences on the loss of your sister in law.
wow-- that hail looks frightening! Replacing your 5 year old roof must be frustrating! Weather in Texas is different--My folks used to live in Dallas, and one time I was visiting, it went from sun, hail, snow and back to sun within 24 hours. I think they said a "norther" blew in?
Best of luck in your new roof decision.

The entire DFW metroplex is under a severe weather advisory starting at 4 PM thru midnight today. The most significant threat is for baseball or larger size hail and high winds. They have been hyping this for days. My stomach goes into knots when this type of thing happens, as I've replaced 4 roofs and repaired another one over a 25 year period living in DFW.

Well,you haven't really lived the hail life until you've had your almost fully mature corn crop taken out by a hail storm. Our insurance agent calls it "the white combine"...

Back
Top Bottom