Hail Hell

The entire DFW metroplex is under a severe weather advisory starting at 4 PM thru midnight today. The most significant threat is for baseball or larger size hail and high winds. They have been hyping this for days. My stomach goes into knots when this type of thing happens, as I've replaced 4 roofs and repaired another one over a 25 year period living in DFW.

They are forecasting the same for us and *really* hope that it doesn't happen, especially with a $10,000 deductible! :(

We're in North Texas as well, so we're watching the weather closely tonight. We don't have a garage for our cars due to my woodworking equipment. So we park them under some large oak trees along the driveway. I've been known to throw sleeping bags and pool rafts over the newest one for extra protection.

We replaced the metal roof on our house in 2012. Total cost was north of $70K, but our deductible was around $5K. The new one holds up quite well to large hail. One of our rentals needed a new roof twice in the 3 years we owned it. Another rental has some hail damage but it's not bad enough for a claim. So we're just waiting for the next hail storm to do some more damage. Maybe tonight? :)

A couple of my neighbors opted for a metal roof but in 2014 I wasn't willing to spend the extra $. This time I'm going to at least get quotes.

One of the houses in an upper-middle-class subdivision near mine (~$450k average price) installed a metal roof recently. I was surprised that their HOA allowed this because it looks horrible (just bare unpainted/untextured metal, unlike the surrounding houses which have barrel tile or asphalt shingles).

Your post prompted me to google "metal roof pros and cons". Very interesting. The page I found noted some disadvantages I hadn't thought of, so I definitely won't be installing a metal roof on my house the next time around.:popcorn:

Last night was a big zero, but about two weeks ago DS/DIL had both cars totaled by tennis ball sized hail.

Sorry for your loss.

Yes, if you install an impact resistant roof your insurance co will adjust rates accordingly. However, you must acknowledge in writing you understand they will not pay for cosmetic damage to the roof - AKA dings and dents.

Adding insult to injury, we were on our way to the funeral for my sister-in-law. My brother died 11 years ago and she was being cared for by her niece, who didn't think it important to let us know she was seriously ill until Friday morning. She died that same afternoon and they decided to have a "direct burial" Sunday morning. We had to scramble to make the 400 mile trip in time for her graveside services.

When we got there we learned my SIL had been in hospice care (kidney disease) since January. The niece had also failed to tell us that, even though I had spoken to her a few weeks ago when we discussed a trip to visit my SIL the first week in May. Clueless airhead.
My condolences for your SIL passing.
Is ignorance bliss. We have been in San Diego for the past two months. My house is in North Texas. Like clockwork hail storms every year. Lived in the DFW metroplex for 19 years replaced three roofs and a 2 yr old explorer whole roof and hood. Let alone roofs on my rentals. Dropped USAA with there 2% to 1% with Liberty. Those stupid commercials got to me.

Sorry to hear about the rough patch you've gone through REW.
Regarding roofs, our San Antonio pad had a cement tile roof. Went through some of the same storms you did, and all without a scratch. We did not build the house, but I was told the framework needed to be beefed up to support the tile. $$$

Yikes. We're currently in a rental house in Leander, and when the storms came through on the day you mentioned, the hail was pretty damn noisy hitting the roof. But nothing was the size you are showing. Maybe marble sized.

Last edited:
Given the “cost” to replace a roof, there is a reason why roofers call hail “sky diamonds.” It also explains why they all drive brand new F250s with brand new long boats.

Follow up:

USAA says total damages were just north of $29,000, including the roof on the house, two outbuildings, the garage door and various other stuff. Since there is a roofing company feeding frenzy going on in the area I'm going to hold off for a couple of months and allow that to die down before deciding who I want to hire to do the work.

Sigh...

Thirteen months later and another major hailstorm last night. USAA sent me a text this AM noting the potential for hail damage at our location and providing a link to file a claim. The roof (#4 in the 21 years we've lived here) is less than a year old.

This is getting old.

Attachments

• Hail.JPG
    Hail.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Is the weather that different between San Antonio and near Austin? We've been in the latter area for over a year and a half, and the hail we've seen has been much smaller, probably not much bigger than a pea. Of course, if it is sufficient, even that can cause damage to vehicles. I recall hearing a commercial last year from a local car dealership having a sale on "hail damaged" vehicles. Sounds like they would require new paint jobs, effectively making the vehicles "used".

Last edited:
I saw a picture of Kerrville, looked more like several inches of snow on the ground but it was hail. I went through that many years ago in northern New Mexico in the month of September, where about a 6" of hail came down in a matter of minutes.

Is the weather that different between San Antonio and near Austin? We've been in the latter area for over a year and a half, and the hail we've seen has been much smaller, probably not much bigger than a pea. Of course, if it is sufficient, even that can cause damage to vehicles. I recall hearing a commercial last year from a local car dealership having a sale on "hail damaged" vehicles. Sounds like they would require new paint jobs, effectively making the vehicles "used".
When we lived in Dallas 34 years ago, I saw those car sales after a couple of big hailstorms. I always said "No, I prefer to get my dings the old fashioned way - in the grocery store parking lot." Thankfully, we don't get hail like that up here in CT.

Is the weather that different between San Antonio and near Austin? We've been in the latter area for over a year and a half, and the hail we've seen has been much smaller, probably not much bigger than a pea.

Same climate, same weather. You might go years without a bad hailstorm (we got 12 years on one roof) or get zapped twice in the same year.

This is the hail map for your area last night. You were lucky, some folks around Georgetown and Marble Falls weren't.

Attachments

• Hail Austin.JPG
    Hail Austin.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 37
Ouch on all of it - first the size of that hail - holy moly! I love the hill country and have thought of moving there....hmmm, add numbers to house roof budget. As for your niece, I don't know. Odd that she would not have told you about her mom and hospice when you talked with her, especially as she was main caretaker. I agree with your assessment: airhead. You are a level headed guy who plans, so I'm guessing there have been other instances that led you to this conclusion. In any case, sorry to hear about your Murphy weekend - hopefully you don't have to go through that again.

About the metal roof; my dad got one where he lives in FL - he loves it. Rode out the hurricane that went over the central part of the state with his whole house generator and that roof. I asked him how he was; he chuckled and said he was happier that a pig in slop - reading books, eating food and generally just fiddle-farting around with no one to bother him, outside of me calling or his wife calling (she had decamped to MI). So, all in all, a metal roof might be the answer :) at least from my anecdotal evidence.

Live in the Dallas area. Have replaced roof 3 times in 20 years due to hail damage. It is luck of the draw. Home insurance rates with USAA have certainly grown over the years.

Always crazy to see all the roofer signs in yards so quickly after a hail event. Sometimes by noon the next day. It’s nice to get a new roof every now and then. But that’d certainly get old as an annual event.

I recall hearing a commercial last year from a local car dealership having a sale on "hail damaged" vehicles. Sounds like they would require new paint jobs, effectively making the vehicles "used".

Most hail dents can be taken out using a process called Paintless Dent Removal. No painting required with PDR.

My Aged Parents lived in Normangee (outside College Station) in the mid-'50's (it was Dad's first job). Mom was from Massachusetts.

The second month after they got married and moved to Texas, the town had a softball size hail storm: almost every windshield was broken, along with a lot of windows, and it killed a bunch of cows and horses.

Welcome to Texas!

My Aged Parents lived in Normangee (outside College Station) in the mid-'50's (it was Dad's first job). Mom was from Massachusetts.

The second month after they got married and moved to Texas, the town had a softball size hail storm: almost every windshield was broken, along with a lot of windows, and it killed a bunch of cows and horses.

Welcome to Texas!

:ROFLMAO: :2funny: Well, I guess College Station is full of weather surprises! When we first moved there from southern California (in 1984), our new neighbors assured us that it pretty much never snows in College Station. The next thing we knew, there were foot long icicles hanging off the eaves and we were building our first snowman in the back yard. :D

OK, back on topic. Hail. When I first moved to New Orleans there was a hail storm that broke windows in houses. I was renting but luckily none of my windows broke. I had no garage or carport but my crummy K-car didn't suffer from it (it was so dented already that I couldn't tell if it was dented any further, and strangely, the windshield did not crack). Every street corner had a transient/carpetbagger windshield repairman waving at cars and offering to replace or fix broken windshields. Welcome to New Orleans. :blush:

Took a close look at the roof and can see no sign of any damage. Also examined the areas around my downspout outflows and can see no accumulation of roof granules around any of them. While we got a LOT of hail, I never saw any stones larger than marble sized. Looks like we got lucky.

Think I'm going to pass on contacting the insurance company for now. That could change if I see roofing contractors at work at some of my neighbors - who also got new roofs last year.

Welcome to Texas!
I'm only about 30mins away from Normangee and we got "another" weather alert yesterday around 3pm saying we could get strong winds, very heavy rain and possible hail. The alert was in effect until 9pm... We got one very light shower and nothing else. :facepalm:

Speaking of Normangee, IMO they should change the name to "Tractor City"... I honestly believe there are more tractors in that town than people, cars or houses. Bought two (tractors) there myself.

Wow, given the history of roof damage due to hail, and the length of time that you have lived in that house (and probably will in the future), that sounds like a very good idea.

I wonder if your insurance company would lower your rates due to having a metal roof, if/when you do. Maybe not since your out-of-pocket costs are so high, but one never knows.

Sorry that you got hail damage again, especially while you were on vacation.
If you are willing to live with cosmetic damage to the metal roof then you can get a discount. Essentially the insurance says that if the roof does not leak it does not need fixing if just dented.

Took a close look at the roof and can see no sign of any damage. Also examined the areas around my downspout outflows and can see no accumulation of roof granules around any of them. While we got a LOT of hail, I never saw any stones larger than marble sized. Looks like we got lucky.

Think I'm going to pass on contacting the insurance company for now. That could change if I see roofing contractors at work at some of my neighbors - who also got new roofs last year.

How about the fascia, did it get dented ?
Or the house siding, our vinyl siding had holes and cracks from hail once, on the side where the hail came from.

On a related note, a neighbor that had one of those quick roofing companies that show up after a hail storm a few years ago, currently has tarps on their roof, seems it's leaking after just a few years :facepalm:

If you are willing to live with cosmetic damage to the metal roof then you can get a discount. Essentially the insurance says that if the roof does not leak it does not need fixing if just dented.

I can't make the math work (see sig line) to justify the cost of a metal roof.

In round numbers, the cost to replace my asphalt shingle roof was $25k. A metal roof would cost between $60k and $75k. Accounting for an insurance discount of roughly $600/yr and a deductible of $6000 each time I replace the shingle roof (an average of once every 7 years), I estimate I would not break even until roughly the year 2045. I'll be dead by then.

Back
Top Bottom