Have You Freezed/Unfreezed Your Credit Yet?

Equifax is Infuriating, as Usual

Thawing for a new card:

• Transunion: quick and easy online
  • Experian: quick and easy online
  • Equifax: online failed and phone failed!
Whenever I try to logon to Equifax, I get authenticated, but then it says I need to call (can't do thaw online). So today I call. The first thing they do is ask for your cell phone number, with no option to say "I don't have one". This is the same company that gave everyone's personal data to hackers. Ah, no, I'm not giving you my cell phone number. You don't need it, you're not getting it. So I fumble around for 5 minutes getting to a representative. Then the representative says he can't process my thaw at this time and to "call back in a couple of hours". What? A couple of hours would be after they close for the day. Equifax sucks dumpster juice!

We thought about refinancing our mortgage even though the benefit was pretty low since our present rate is below 2.7% but the thought of having to unfreeze, especially Equifax, nixed it. Ditto for switching to a credit card affiliated with DH's alumni association. I was thinking we may never finance anything again because of the hassle to unfreeze. Works for us.

Thawing for a new card:

• Transunion: quick and easy online
  • Experian: quick and easy online
  • Equifax: online failed and phone failed!
Whenever I try to logon to Equifax, I get authenticated, but then it says I need to call (can't do thaw online). So today I call. The first thing they do is ask for your cell phone number, with no option to say "I don't have one". This is the same company that gave everyone's personal data to hackers. Ah, no, I'm not giving you my cell phone number. You don't need it, you're not getting it. So I fumble around for 5 minutes getting to a representative. Then the representative says he can't process my thaw at this time and to "call back in a couple of hours". What? A couple of hours would be after they close for the day. Equifax sucks dumpster juice!

I can never get anything thing with Equifax so I just give up with them.

I tried in the past to have an online ID set up and they stonewall like crazy. So, I sent in proof of myself through snail mail and they still stonewall and give a letter back saying to send in proof of identification, despite me having just done that.

Now I just hope that I never have to have anything business needing my information from them as I'm not confident I'd ever succeed.

You are too polite saying "Equifax sucks dumpster juice!" :(.

I've never had a problem with un freezing credit online with equifax.

An update since my last reply: I bought a car a year ago and paid cash. They actually took a check. No BS about providing SSN.

A few years ago I tried to unlock my credit with all 3 bureaus. I'd kept scrupulous notes about PINs, etc. One, I forget which, wanted me to prove my identity by snail-mailing a copy of my driver's license. Nope. I don't switch credit cards very often but I will even less often now and if they require a check on a bureau that gives me a hard time, I won't get the card and I'll tell them why.

I locked once, then unlocked, and will probably never bother again. Too much of a PITA when I need it open. I just monitor now instead, and have alerts when stuff happens. Yes I know that means I'm taking more risk, but I'll deal.

There is no question that Equifax is the worst of the 3. I keep my credit files locked at all 3 major bureaus. I have no problem with the other two when I want to unlock for a new CC or large purchase. Equifax is pure hell in every respect. On line won’t work and doing it on the phone takes hours. Same with relocking. I’ve contacted people, including the CEOs office and they always say they will take care of it. They never do. But there is no way around them if you need them to give a lender info.

But there is no way around them if you need them to give a lender info.
I'm sure the inbox is full of Equifax complaints at https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/ because there really IS no way around them!

I called Equifax two times today at 15 or 20 minutes per call, only to find out they could not process temporary lifts of security freezes. They claimed the system was down. I called Equifax a third time, this time took even longer and STILL got nowhere! After getting through the VRU, they put me on hold for 5 or so minutes, then they spent 5 minutes asking me questions about my credit file. I had the file open on my desk in front of me, and it wasn't clear what I should be reading off to the guy. After all that, he says I can't process the lift! I need to fax my drivers license, social security card, and include a cover letter with the dates for the temporary lift of the freeze. Then the acknowledgement is via snail mail! When I challenged that, he said I could call back and see if the fax had been received, and if the thaw was processed. I'm going straight to the fax from now on (if it works this time).

Here's my complaint:
Every time I've tried to use Equifax web service to lift a security freeze, it says that I need to call 888-836-6351. I have valid credentials for "MyEquifax", but as soon as I click "Manage a Freeze", it tells me I need to call. This same thing has been happening for three years. When it first happened, I pursued getting my web account fixed. I was assured my web account would work next time I tried, but it didn't work. I gave up trying Equifax web site and resigned myself to wasting time on the phone with them.

Today (8/4/2021) I called 888-836-6351 3 times spending over 60 minutes on the phone. The first call, after spending 15 or 20 minutes, I was told they system was down and they could not lift security freezes and to call back in a couple of hours. In a few hours, I wasted another 15 or 20 minutes only to find out the system was still down and to call back in a couple of hours. In another few hours, I called a third time and wasted 30 minutes. This call included answering questions from my credit report, which I had open on the desk in front of me. I answered all the questions, reading things directly off the credit report that Equifax had printed out a few months earlier. The result: I was told they could not process the temporary lift of the security freeze, and I would need to fax a letter or use snail mail.

Equifax should have a web site that allows lifting of security freezes that actually works. I have no problem with Transunion or Experian. Why can they make it work, but Equifax can't?

If they are so incompetent as to not have their web site work, they should have a telephone process that works. The questions they ask should be solidly answerable if the person is reading their credit report. For instance, he asked me about a credit card that was active, I asked "any credit card on my credit report?" The representative repeated the original question, word-for-word, as if I hadn't asked a question. Then he asked me the "monthly payment" on the credit card. But first of all, on the report, there's no column "monthly payment". There is a "Scheduled Payment Amount", but it differs every month in many cases. When I asked for which month, the representative repeated the original question, word-for-word, as if I didn't just ask "for which month". It went on like this for 10 minutes before he finally said the system couldn't validate me.

Last edited:
I'm sure the inbox is full of Equifax complaints at https://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/ because there really IS no way around them!

I called Equifax two times today at 15 or 20 minutes per call, only to find out they could not process temporary lifts of security freezes. They claimed the system was down. I called Equifax a third time, this time took even longer and STILL got nowhere! After getting through the VRU, they put me on hold for 5 or so minutes, then they spent 5 minutes asking me questions about my credit file. I had the file open on my desk in front of me, and it wasn't clear what I should be reading off to the guy. After all that, he says I can't process the lift! I need to fax my drivers license, social security card, and include a cover letter with the dates for the temporary lift of the freeze. Then the acknowledgement is via snail mail! When I challenged that, he said I could call back and see if the fax had been received, and if the thaw was processed. I'm going straight to the fax from now on (if it works this time).

Good luck. You will need it.

I did the send copy of DL and CC info to prove who I am. All I got back was a rejected letter saying I need to send prove of ID (I just did!) :facepalm:.

My only hope for anything done with Equifax is hope they go bankrupt or taken over.

I expect if folks have a working account, then fine. But if ever needing a login reset, good luck.

You are too polite saying "Equifax sucks dumpster juice!" :(.

+1000

They are inept, and corrupt. Remember their massive data breach in 2017? They used that screwup as a way to grift new customers.

I recently had to interact with them again (Ally gave a free subscription after they had their own data issues), and without going into details, are clearly an extremely poorly run organization.

To think that they are one of the primary credit reporting bureaus is alarming.

+1000

They are inept, and corrupt. Remember their massive data breach in 2017? They used that screwup as a way to grift new customers.

I recently had to interact with them again (Ally gave a free subscription after they had their own data issues), and without going into details, are clearly an extremely poorly run organization.

To think that they are one of the primary credit reporting bureaus is alarming.

I think their very business model is to stonewall until customers give up in frustration.

I'm my situation, found it impossible to prove my identification to reactivate my online account, despite me providing paper copies of the ID they asked for.

Yet at the same time, ironic and I can get my annual credit report from them just by filling out a generic type one page form. Go figure :facepalm:.

Back
Top Bottom