Homeowners Insurance Increase!?

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Just wondering if others are seeing SIZEABLE increases this year - just another nail in the inflation curse. Our premium due in July, with Liberty Mutual, went up 25% from $1345 to $1687/year!!! I have never had a single homeowners claim in almost 50 years. I may get quotes, but since I had my first auto accident last October, I may be between a rock and hard one changing providers right now... :(

Maybe this is the increased incidences of hurricane, fire, floods and other natural disaster costs that we all get to "share in?"

Last edited:
Ours went up by 15% this month. I think it also may have something to do with the increased cost to rebuild or repair your house, as well as price increases in the underlying real estate market. More valuable house and/or more expensive to repair = greater cost to insure.

Yes we had 20% increase this year and 10-15% last 2 yrs but also had a claim for wind damage to roof. I shopped around and still could nor beat current carrier (Nationwide). With increases in building materials cost they have a good excuse.

For the first 7 years in our house, our insurance ran around $1100-1200/year.

In June of ‘21, the premium went up to $1500.

A month later, July ‘21, we opened a very large water damage claim that we’re still dealing with.

In June ‘22, the new premium was $1700.

So, yes, we have had a couple of big jumps in the last 2 years.

We've never had a claim on ours either but we only went 30 years. Our rates are just half yours but I have seriously considered cancelling the policy and just going without insurance. The only thing that keeps me from cancelling is the liability insurance. Liability is somewhat unpredictable. Anything can happen. There's homeless people that walk around our neighborhood and I'm afraid they might get hurt on my property even though of course I didn't invite them here.

We pay $528 a year for homeowners for a million dollar dwelling. If it goes up 15%, that would make it $607. Still cheap.

At our last house, we had a major burglary. And we'd previously had an ATV and a racing bicycle stolen. If you have 2 claims of any kind on homeowners in 3 years, look for your homeowners' rates to double--and stay that expensive for a number of years.

Two years ago, we moved to another city. We made a great buy @ $89 per square foot on the house, but the insurance companies were throwing $4,000+ premiums at us. I finally got Nationwide to insure us @ $2,000 a year. On the first year renewal, they jumped to $2,900 stating the cost of rebuilding (and I assume materials) increased greatly. I also have a small lake house, but it continues at normal insurance pricing.

Never did I realize in my retirement that our largest personal expenses would be for homeowners' and personal car insurance policies.

Just wondering if others are seeing SIZEABLE increases this year - just another nail in the inflation curse. Our premium due in July, with Liberty Mutual, went up 25% from $1345 to $1687/year!!! I have never had a single homeowners claim in almost 50 years. I may get quotes, but since I had my first auto accident last October, I may be between a rock and hard one changing providers right now... :(

Maybe this is the increased incidences of hurricane, fire, floods and other natural disaster costs that we all get to "share in?"

I live in Florida. I would be doing back flips if my homeowner's insurance was only $1687 a year! :)

Mike

You all must be aware of the huge fire that destroyed almost a thousand homes in the towns of Louisville & Superior in Colorado.

Most of the homeowners were under insured. Not through any fault of theirs - they trusted the rebuild amount that the insurers gave them.

I looked at what our house (not contents) replacement value is on our insurance policy and it is laughable. I will be speaking to our insurance company and upping that amount. I think everyone needs to have a good look at the replacement values in their policy - both for contents & the house itself.

We're unfortunately seeing more extreme weather events. And while the complete destruction of a home is still a very low probability event for most of us, the loss can be catastrophic. It is especially true for those of us already retired with no way of replenishing the loss.

Getting back to the subject - we've seen large increases in premiums too.

Flood insurance went up 15%. Still waiting for Home owners, assuming they do not cancel the policies in our area.

I live in California in one of the highest fire risk factors and many of my neighbors have had their insurance cancelled with the only option something called "California Fair" Insurance that costs many times more than they were paying private insurance for and without nearly the level of coverage.
My home was completely destroyed in a fire in 2006. Our insurance company fully paid off, no problems, including all our cars, motorcycle, boat, RV, and they continue to be our insurance company today. My home is market appraised in the $800,000 range and I currently pay $2,760 a year for the homeowner insurance which included $500,000 liability so I can buy an umbrella policy to make it $1M. My deductible is $1,000.
I just checked on line and my rate will increase in November to $3,175 a year. That is a 15% increase.

When sizing your policy, bear in mind you do not want to insure for the market value of the house. Instead you want to insure for what it would cost to replace the house in a disaster. In our case, I spent well over $100,000 in clean-up and disposal fees after our fire. Everything has to be recycled, from the concrete foundation to the steel appliances. Each has to be separated out, placed into bins and hauled away. We lost over 50 fully mature oaks and pines that all had to be cut, the stumps pulled, the soil recompacted before we could start rebuilding.

Make sure your policy covers complete replacement costs, not just what the home value is.

Also consider the policy covers 'loss-of-use', which is essentially rent on everything you owned until you are back into your home. Not just a rental, but all furnishings down to the last fork and spoon in the drawer is covered. This amount doesn't have a dollar limit and is time limited to 24 months. The cost doesn't come out of the pot of money to rebuild your home. The policy also covers all improvements on the property; fencing, walkways, decks, etc. It covers all landscaping too. In our case, even the septic tank and leach field were destroyed. When the tree stumps were removed, the septic and leach field were lost. The policy also covers all personal property. Ours pays up to 70% of the home value towards personal property loss. Meaning that for every $100,000 in home coverage, we have $70,000 in personal property coverage. That is a BIG deal when considering the cost of insurance. A home insured for $500,000 could pay out that plus 20% additional for landscaping, 10% additional for other improvements, and 70% for personal property/contents. That doubles the home's insured value to $1M. When we lost our home in 2006, the policy was for $500,000. We collected a little over $800,000 and we still owned the raw land valued at $250,000 on top of that. That's not to say we now owned a home worth over $1M, we didn't. It was worth around $500,000. The cost to rebuild was much more than the home value was. Thank God homeowner's insurance isn't like car insurance where they can just total out the house and pay you it's street value and tell you to buy another someplace else.

Keep this in mind if you have it in your mind to self-insure. You don't just get to walk away from the mess. You will be required to pay to clean it all up and you will still be assessed property taxes, still maintain utilities, and be responsible for any liabilities for anyone; contractors or thieves who come to steal lost jewelry or other salvageable items, who may get hurt on your property. Posting Keep Out signs helps with your responsibility, but to risk no insurance is nothing I want to experience.

Last edited:
Mine went from $2,000/year to $2,800/year in Tornado Alley. I was with Farmers and don't ordinarily shop around but that was getting crazy so I went with State Farm and it's $2,100 for the same coverage. I'm guessing my market value is $400K and the replacement value they used is $550K. I moved the Auto and Umbrella, too, and saved about $1,000 over Farmers,

IIRC, many insurers won't write for replacement cost anymore.

Mine just has a rider with a 50% kicker for actual replacement costs above insured value.

So my model of townhome which used to sell for ~$200k all day long before COVID (latest Zestimate ~$250k, last comp sale $215k) with an insured value of ~$300k would be covered for ~$450k in actual replacement costs.

If I can't rebuild for that limit I guess we're all up the creek.

Last edited:
My State Farm policy goes up from $884 to $933 in June for the year. So not an awful jump, but a larger increase than recent years. Low cost of loving area. Home value in the $200k ballpark. 1964 ranch.

Nationwide went up 24% here in the Midwest last Fall. My independent agent found a new company for our area "Openly". It dropped my homeownes cost almost 1K, with better coverage. They don't have vehicle insurance, but Progressive for auto was still cheaper than Nationwide. Bundling might not always help.

I just experienced this, too, but the jump was far higher than most here are reporting. Our 2800sf SoCal home (situated on a canyon) has had the following annual premiums with Travelers:

2018: $1,335
2019: $1,469 +10%
2020: $1,661 +13%
2021: $2,449 +47%

I did some cursory looking around after getting the quote for 2021, but decided to stay with Travelers, reasoning that all insurers were raising rates due to rising costs of construction and supplies.

I got the quote for 2022 a couple of months ago, and was hoping that it’d at least be flat compared to last year. No such luck. The quote was for $6,449! An increase of 263%! I called them up to find out if the quote was generated in error, and they said it wasn’t. Just fire risk plus cost of rebuilding. I’ve never filed a claim with them. It felt like rather than firing me as a client, they did this to thin out their exposure to what they view as high-risk properties.

It took some legwork, but I found another company called Pharmacists Mutual which matched my previous coverage in every way. New annual premium: $1,504. Phew!!

Here in FL (roof litigation capital of the world...) our homeowners insurance went up $800, from $3400 to $4200. We have a 13 year old roof and our agent said that many companies will not write insurance on a roof this old. Many cut off at ten years and most of the rest at 15.

Here in a New Orleans inner suburb, most people (including me) have three types of home insurance:

1.) Flood insurance (from FEMA)
2.) Wind and Hail (=hurricane) insurance, from the state of Louisiana, and
3.) Homeowners' insurance for everything else.

For me, the first one to be billed this year was Homeowner's from Allstate. Yesterday I received the bill and paid for the full year. It went up $20.

I don't know about the other two yet, but will in a couple of weeks. Wind and Hail is the biggie.

Just renewed. Went from 1096 to 1050. New roof last summer.

Just renewed. Went from 1096 to 1050. New roof last summer.

Two years ago the renewal increase was 24 percent. I went to my insurers on line site and got a quote. That online quote the same as the prior years premium. 24 percent less than the renewal quote.

Called them up. The meekly said it was because I had a quote on a 'different system' for new customers. I said that I wanted to be considered a new customer.

They honored the online quote. It was identical to the renewal quote except in price.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom