How much cash do you carry ?

ckelly78z

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have noticed that many of my office co-workers barely have 2 nickles to rub together (so-to-speak), and have to borrow money for anything out of a vending machine, or sometimes lunch. I just can't believe that so many folks are running around completely dependent on their credit/debit card, or the kindness of others.

I am in an office Super-Lotto pool (auxiliary retirement plan) that is $2 a week, so every 2-3 months, I give the organizer a $20 bill, and forget it. She has to keep reminding other participants to dredge their $2 out of the old wallet every week, and some are behind.

It is a rare day that I don't have a $20 bill, a $10 bill, a few $5 bills, and a few $1 bills...usually about $50 in cash. This helps immensely if you have unforeseen car trouble, or any other unplanned need. How about you folks ?

I try to carry $100. I'm also trying to get more "up to date" on other payment methods. Just got ApplePay working. BUT, went to a breakfast place on Saturday and guess what? No CC, no Venmo, no PayPal, no ApplePay. Just cold hard cash. I had it in my pocket, breakfast for 3 successful!

Anywhere between $0 and $20. I used to go on week long business trips with $3 in my wallet and return with $2. Cash is so 1980's these days.:LOL:

I have not used money for regular things in at least 10 or 12 years. I always use my debit card except in strange or "one-off" places. Then I use a credit card. However, I never go anyplace without at least a couple of $20's or some 5's & 10's in my pocket for that "Ya never know/just in case" situation I can't even think of an example of.

At Christmastime I go around with a wad of $1's for the bell ringers and other charity nodes I run into. I consider that "Special Purpose" money.

40-60. I also carry 1’s at Xmas for the bell ringers.

Like most others...not a lot....we charge (pretty much) everything, for the 'points'.

max ATM limit is $300, so thats how much I pull at a time...
I use CC's at large corps but pay cash at small businesses to save them the CC fees.
If it weren't for CC cash back I'd use cash most everywhere except the gas pump.

I dislike carrying coins and that's what I usually get when using cash. So, I almost always use a credit card or Apple pay. I carry one or two $20s for cash emergencies.

DW carries small bills for tipping, and we are almost always together.

I keep two $100 bills folded and stashed at all times just in case my credit card fails for whatever reason (I just carry the one unless we're traveling). That and usually anywhere from $20 - $100 just because. We rarely use cash but I've usually have that much on me. We hit a couple of restaurants and food trucks that don't take credit cards. That and the occasional seedy bar we'll stop at.

I usually carry between $100-$200, sometimes more.

It bugs the DW*, but I don't feel comfortable unless I have that much in my wallet. I tell myself it's for emergencies, but I grew up somewhat impoverished and suspect there's some psychological "need" at the root of it.

(* It can't bug her too much, because whenever she needs cash, she knows she can get it from me instead of stopping at an ATM. :D )

Looks like I'm out of touch with the mainstream. I generally keep $2,000 between my wallet and my work computer tote bag as well as $100 hidden in each of the cars for emergencies or "I forgot my wallet" situations. Those seem to happen more frequently when we're in Florida and not wearing many clothes.

100 to 300. 200 at the atm when the wallet gets down to 100

I always have a few hundred $ cash with me just in case but use credit cards to pay. No excuses really from others not to pay their share nowadays with Venmo, PayPal, vendors happily splitting tabs.

I have $6 in my wallet right now which is maybe slightly less than normal. Hardly a need for cash as just about everyone accepts credit cards and family and friends exchange via Venmo or Apple Pay.

I keep $100 in wallet in a just in case compartment, plus whatever feels right in the regular compartment. The regular compartment can vary from about $60 to $200.

But my preference of spending is credit card (gotta get them cash back points :)).

I usually withdraw $200 in $20 bills from an ATM about once every 2 weeks or so and slowly spend down the cash until the next withdrawal. Of course I use my credit card for most things, but I ocassionally use cash for small purchases under $10 (I don't like to clutter up my credit card statement with too many small purchases) and for those situations where credit cards are not accepted. When I run out of cash I sometimes go for a few days before replenishing, so to answer your question, anywhere from $0 to $200 depending on the day. Right now I have $80.

Last edited:
An allied thought...
About wallets... and what else besides $$$'s, credit card, driver's license, healthcare card and contact info. Just recently decided that this could be important and emptied the at risk items.

I could have zero, I could have 60, I have no idea and I don't make any effort to "keep cash" on me. Btwn my wallet and phone, I'm good.

Most vending machines take cards nowadays. I can't remember the last time I truly needed cash for anything (perhaps the lottery ticket the last time there was a powerball?)

Back
Top Bottom