how much is your asset when you pulled the trigger??

Wow.. I didn't realized how long I have been a member. I got approx another 20 years to go to reach retirement but always dream that I can do in 12-15 years if possible. Both kids will be in college in 2-3 years. My net worth is quite humble and NOT anywhere near where I want to be since the real estate crashed. :-(

Enuff-BS, thanks all.

Enuff2eat

Day dreaming about the 'number' is something we all did. If your kids are off the payroll within the next 5 years or so, you may be surprised how much your assets will grow over a 10 year period. You will probably be earning and saving more, so you may be able to retire sooner than your 20 year projection. Stick with the plan and try to be patient.

When I began drawing down my portfolio at the age of 47, I had 41 x annual spending. 2.5 years later, I now have 46 x annual spending.

However, I have been living on less than I would really like to, and my current portfolio is 26 times what I would really like to be spending (or 24 x what I would really, really like to be spending!) I'll wait a few more years and see if the portfolio rises a little more. The added bonus is that none of these calculations take SS into account. My hope is that my portfolio will rise enough for me to be spending what I really want to in a few years then when SS gets closer, I can increase my income even more.

It's a proven phenomena in group psychology that it's easier to start out by not giving people much so that their expectations are limited, then give them extra, than to start with more, and take things away. I've been doing this with myself - living on a modest amount that should be able to go up in the future. It will feel good if I am able to allow myself more in the future (as I should be able to). The downside is that I haven't taken the trips and indulged in the extra-curricular activities that many do in the their first few years of retirement. It's OK - I'll probably be able to do that my the time I reach my mid-50's.

I don't think any of us have given you what you wanted in terms of an absolute figure though. I'm still not completely sure what use that would be to you, other than for the purposes of casual comparison (as in, "Ohhhh, I have more than him" or, "Ooooh, I did it on less than her") but based on what I have read on this site, I'd say that the majority of ER's here pull the trigger with a portfolio of somewhere between $1M and $2M, with a range of $1M - $1.5M being quite common.

Was that what you wanted to know?

I agree that the actual net worth number is useless and is unique to each person based on their expenses and assumptions. I ER'ed this year at 49 with the following:

Had 36X "saved" in "current" living expenses.
No debt and no mortgage
Inflation rate = 2.5% and 7.5% for medical expenses.
Avg yield on investments = 6%
AA = 65/20/15
Assume no SS benefits.
Live until 95

FireCalc said I was golden (100%) :)....

It's a proven phenomena in group psychology that it's easier to start out by not giving people much so that their expectations are limited, then give them extra, than to start with more, and take things away. I've been doing this with myself - living on a modest amount that should be able to go up in the future. It will feel good if I am able to allow myself more in the future (as I should be able to)...

"A luxury once sampled becomes a necessity" -- Anon.

People who get to retire early by saving know how to ration their indulgence. Ability to delay gratification is a common trait here. On the other hand, we all know about people who got rich by winning lottery or even some entrepreneurs who got rich by IPO or buyouts managed to blow tens or even hundred of millions in just a few years.

The downside is that I haven't taken the trips and indulged in the extra-curricular activities that many do in the their first few years of retirement. It's OK - I'll probably be able to do that my the time I reach my mid-50's.
I am past my mid-50, and I am spending more now. :) In a few short years, I will be 60. Gosh, where did my years go? I am a geezer! Arghhh... :facepalm:

I don't think any of us have given you what you wanted in terms of an absolute figure though. I'm still not completely sure what use that would be to you, other than for the purposes of casual comparison (as in, "Ohhhh, I have more than him" or, "Ooooh, I did it on less than her") but based on what I have read on this site, I'd say that the majority of ER's here pull the trigger with a portfolio of somewhere between $1M and $2M, with a range of $1M - $1.5M being quite common.

Was that what you wanted to know?

Indeed, a poll here shows a big concentration of posters with between $1M to $2M. See: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/net-worth-poll-55244.html.

It seems that most of the posters here have very well planned, conservative retirements with retirement spending starting fairly low. Very impressive. My experience has been not typical. As I posted earlier my retirement has gone through some pretty big gyrations. For the first couple years the markets were booming and it appeared we could never spend all our money but I gave it a good try. We bought several luxury cars, vacation property, very expensive trips. Then the crash. Scaled back for a year or two. Spending has increased again but nowhere near the pre crash levels. I think we have settled into just spending our dividends and pensions and this currently represents about 3.6% of portfolio value.
Take away is that we never could have planned for what transpired once retired.

Last edited:
I am past my mid-50, and I am spending more now. :) In a few short years, I will be 60. Gosh, where did my years go? I am a geezer! Arghhh... :facepalm:
I hope my future experiences mirror yours NW-Bound. I'm comfortable at my current spending level, but it sure will be nice to spend a bit more :D

As for where did the years go - who knows? I just realized that I stopped work almost 5 years ago and it only feels like a few months. I still cannot believe that I haven't worked in almost 5 years when, as a working stiff, I didn't go more than 2 weeks without working!

Indeed, a poll here shows a big concentration of posters with between $1M to $2M. See: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/net-worth-poll-55244.html.
Although this is a poll of current net worth as opposed to NW when pulling the trigger, for someone such as our OP, who is merely looking for a rough comparison figure, I think it would be fair to say that the majority of ER's here have a NW in the range of $1M - $5M when they begin their retirement. Pretty big range, but if all you're looking for is averages and medians, a more precise figure wouldn't be of any more use anyway.

Take away is that we never could have planned for what transpired once retired.
I think it is this uncertainty that is a big cause of OMY syndrome in many would-be retirees when, in reality, we spend our whole lives dealing with circumstances as they unfold - retirement is no different.

Regardless, it sounds as if you dealt with the changes very well Danmar.

I think it is this uncertainty that is a big cause of OMY syndrome in many would-be retirees when, in reality, we spend our whole lives dealing with circumstances as they unfold - retirement is no different.

Regardless, it sounds as if you dealt with the changes very well Danmar.

Yes, I agree. Better to be a little higher than necessary when you start. Although, you have to be careful not to delay too long especially if the job is a pain.

I think it is this uncertainty that is a big cause of OMY syndrome in many would-be retirees when, in reality, we spend our whole lives dealing with circumstances as they unfold - retirement is no different...
My life has not unfolded quite like what I thought. Generally, I am not doing too badly, and financially speaking, am within the range of what to be expected. And that is a wide range. One can just look at a FIRECalc run to appreciate the level of variation that one has little control over.

And yet, in retirement age we also have to deal with the uncertainty of our health. Until it happens to a retiree, he may take his health for granted. People most often do not think what happens to other persons he knows can also happen to themselves. And when it happens, they realize what is more important.

Between being a billionaire with a terminal disease like Steve Jobs and being a healthy RV'er boondocking in Quartzside, who would you rather be? It's not that we can really have a choice, but thinking about it makes us realize that unless one is so poor to be homeless, money is not really the most important thing.

Last edited:
Knowing other people's absolute numbers isn't really of any use because, as has already been mentioned, each of our situations is unique.

Actually, knowing other people's absolute numbers, without knowing their individual circumstances, is worse than simply being of no use. It can actually be misleading. It's just one of those things that shouldn't be discussed with a focused view on "the number" without a parallel discussion of the context.

Between being a billionaire with a terminal disease like Steve Jobs and being a healthy RV'er boondocking in Quartzside, who would you rather be? It's not that we can really have a choice, but thinking about it makes us realize that unless one is so poor to be homeless, money is not really the most important thing.

Constant worry of money is one of the biggest stress in our lives. How much more do we need? Money comes….money goes. What is left to fear if we could live for less? Money is only a tool and will be gone eventually.

Money provides quality of life, one cannot deny that.

However, when one's life is threatened, everything changes. When there is no life, the quality is exactly 0.

My life has not unfolded quite like what I thought. Generally, I am not doing too badly, and financially speaking, am within the range of what to be expected. And that is a wide range. One can just look at a FIRECalc run to appreciate the level of variation that one has little control over.

And yet, in retirement age we also have to deal with the uncertainty of our health. Until it happens to a retiree, he may take his health for granted. People most often do not think what happens to other persons he knows can also happen to themselves. And when it happens, they realize what is more important.

Thank you for the reminders, NW-bound. DH tends to share your sentiments and has been successful in getting me to take more time to smell the roses.

After SS, a few small pensions, and what we receive in dividends from investments we haven't needed to touch what we saved. We saved about 35+% of our income for about 25 years. I could have retired earlier instead of at 63 but I enjoyed teaching at the college level (no research). I still miss it but health concerns convinced me it was time to make a change.

Once we reach 70.5 and required to start cashing in some of our IRA we will have excess. Our "wants" that make us happy are simple although for many others it may be too spartan. I was always worried I wouldn't have enough to take care of my wife and myself as we got older so the numbers were important as a goal. Dad always said I would be OK. He was good at understanding the technical side of personal finance whereas I wasn't. I guess he was right all along.

I like the Chipmunk story - kinda like the grasshopper and the ants. It sounded like us.

Cheers!

When I began drawing down my portfolio at the age of 47, I had 41 x annual spending. 2.5 years later, I now have 46 x annual spending.

Wow that's an incredible number. I m more impress with the fact that you pulled the trigger at such a young age. Your answer confirmed that I nowhere to be near where I want to be.:) Congrats.

For me, it;s NOT purely how much $ but how many years from SS and your asset before actually do it. Thanks MajorTom.

I am in your nice neighborhood. When I ERed 5 years ago at age 45 (when the markets were tanking), I had about 38 x annual expenses. Now, 5 years into ER and age 50, I am around 54 x annual spending. It will drop to about 50 x annual spending next year when I upgrade to a better HI plan from the ACA's exchanges.

I am in your nice neighborhood. When I ERed 5 years ago at age 45 (when the markets were tanking), I had about 38 x annual expenses. Now, 5 years into ER and age 50, I am around 54 x annual spending. It will drop to about 50 x annual spending next year when I upgrade to a better HI plan from the ACA's exchanges.

Very impressive. Is your goal to leave a large estate? That would seem to be the logical result.

Perhaps, more appropriate question is how many years of annual expense you had when you pulled the trigger?

I have not ER'd yet and have 26 x annual expense. In 2 years when I retire (not sure still), I'd have 30 x annual expense.

Very impressive. Is your goal to leave a large estate? That would seem to be the logical result.

Thank you. I am single and have no children, so the size of my estate when I croak is not an issue. It will end up being pretty large in all likelihood. I have a will and am leaving parts of my estate of varying sizes to friends and relatives, though.

Thank you. I am single and have no children, so the size of my estate when I croak is not an issue. It will end up being pretty large in all likelihood. I have a will and am leaving parts of my estate of varying sizes to friends and relatives, though.

You may have mentioned this in previous posts, but is there a particular reason why you are LBYM in retirement? I can certainly understand why someone in the accumulation phase might LBYM, but once retired not so much? It may simply be conservatism or worry about running out of funds. I understand this objective. On the other hand, if you simply don't want to spend more money because you don't think it would be enjoyable or morally correct, then I really don't get it. Anyway you are in a good position,I guess.

You may have mentioned this in previous posts, but is there a particular reason why you are LBYM in retirement? I can certainly understand why someone in the accumulation phase might LBYM, but once retired not so much? It may simply be conservatism or worry about running out of funds. I understand this objective. On the other hand, if you simply don't want to spend more money because you don't think it would be enjoyable or morally correct, then I really don't get it. Anyway you are in a good position,I guess.

I am living the same, non-extravagant way in ER as I did when I was still working, either full-time or part-time. I resurrected some old hobbies after I switched to working part-time. But other than that, I don't spend a lot of money in general. The only way I could make a really big, desirable change to my life would be to move to a bigger apartment. But that would be costly (not hugely) but would require a lot of time and effort. Having moved several times in the 1980s, I would just as well not have to go through that again if I don't really have to.

But I know I have enough money to do whatever I want otherwise, without worrying about the cost. I just don't have anything big I want to do.

The $ value of a pension can be calculated with an annuity calculator available on a lot of financial websites. (how many $ would it take to buy an annuity that would produce the same amount and features as the pension in question)

Once that is done it can be considered a financial asset along with everything else for FIRE purposes. (provided one is confident in the stability of the pension provider)

Or not. Depends on how you want to look at it. That's how I choose to look at it.
____
So...I've been asking myself this same question for a while now (what is the value of my defined benefit pension plan). Most of the calculators I've been ask for a term in years. I've found it hard to put a number on that since a pension lasts until you "expire". I suppose 30 yrs is safe however.

Then another person said "oh, that's simple--just divide your annual pension by the return you would expect to get" on garden variety investments...or maybe a 5 yr CD".

For me that would be ~ $34,000/.03 ($34K @ 55 yrs old, hoping for 3% return on a 60/40 mix). So $1.13M? Really. Seems overstated. I"m a non-COLA pension.

So I still really don't have a number that I would put in a networth box. Numbers is hard :LOL:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom