Investments in Commodities

Dawg52

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anyone here invest in commodities? I'm sure most of you know Jimmy Rogers who appears on cnbc occasionally. He was on again today promoting a new book on how to invest in the commodity markets. He expects a bull market in commodites over the next 10-15 years. I will admit I have no clue as to how to invest in sugar or cotton. Just wondered if anyone here has any experience in commodities? I guess a good place to start is to read his new book. I would prefer to allocate a small percentage of money in a mutual fund if that is possible.

Look forward to the responses.

Anyone here invest in commodities? I'm sure most of you know Jimmy Rogers who appears on cnbc occasionally. He was on again today promoting a new book on how to invest in the commodity markets. He expects a bull market in commodites over the next 10-15 years. I will admit I have no clue as to how to invest in sugar or cotton. Just wondered if anyone here has any experience in commodities? I guess a good place to start is to read his new book. I would prefer to allocate a small percentage of money in a mutual fund if that is possible.  

Look forward to the responses.

We have discussed this a few times. Several of us invest in PCRDX/PCRIX (same fund, but IX is cheaper if you can get it).

PCRIX is available to vanguard customers at a fairly low minimum (something like 2500 or 5000)...it being an institutional fund the minimums are usually very high.

Raddr's board discusses these extensively. He has some good tables that show excellent historic results of commodities indexes vs bonds and tips.

Note that a lot of these guys are aggressive investors who dont have any bonds or just inflation adjusted's in their portfolios. Commodities have had a heck of a run-up in recent years. There is a case to be made that the prices are reasonable and that the run-up will continue.

So far i havent bit that bullet. I might at some point, but the bargain shopper in me doesnt like to buy stuff in the midst of a sharp upward chart.

Back
Top Bottom